Sony Confirms PS4

PS4 talk already? Maybe Sony are taking a leaf out of Microsoft's book and releasing a console every 4 years.

I doubt it. I'm just hoping they're actually getting started on research.

Or (and I say this as a Sony fan), maybe they're getting ready to start building the PS4, so they can actually have enough for launch in 2014. :whistle:

Isn't 4 an unlucky number to the orientals?

Seeing how Sony is a Japanese company I wonder if it will be called PS4.

Hmmm... :)

Just a random note: "Oriental" refers to objects (vases, rugs, etc.), not people.

Maybe the strategy this time around is to announce the PS4 and start production in 2006. That way, by the time 2010+ comes around, they can push more than 400,000 consoles globally?

I don't know, just taking a stab in the dark here.

isn't that a bit fast...considering that they haven't got the PS3 out everywhere. To me it shows they realise there is something wrong with the PS3, but that may just be me.

Not really, the console market moves quite fast. MS started working on the successor to the Xbox 360 not long after releasing the 360 (mind you, it's still very early stages, nothing is actually built yet of cause :p). So I'm not the least surprised Sony are already looking at doing the PS4. Nintendo have probably got plans on the drawing board for the successor to the Wii as well.

For those who don't believe the next Xbox is under way already, Xbox 360 successor already in works

well duh they started work. I mean what were they gunna do just fire the console team for a year, rehire them, and then be a year behind in the market? Heck this was probably on the drawing board 6 months ago....

well duh they started work. I mean what were they gunna do just fire the console team for a year, rehire them, and then be a year behind in the market? Heck this was probably on the drawing board 6 months ago....

Most likely longer then that, they usually begin development of the new console straight after finishing the old one (sometimes, even sooner). They have to, otherwise they will fall behind not be able to catch up (cause it takes years to design and develop the console etc)

I can tell you now that work on the next Xbox has already started.

Well duh. The 360's development started right after the Xbox. Most companies do that.

isn't that a bit fast...considering that they haven't got the PS3 out everywhere. To me it shows they realise there is something wrong with the PS3, but that may just be me.

And you think Microsoft hasn't been planning the next Xbox?? Or Nintendo for that matter...

Did someone seriously think that Sony would leave the console market after the PS3? Seriously, come on, someone?
That dumb analyst did :s

I am sure sega was already thinking past the dreamcast when it came out. Sony saying they want to make another doesn't mean they proved an analyst wrong.

No but it also means they are looking at making the PS4 when the anaylst said there wouldn't be one. I am planning on going to work tomorrow, the building could blow up for all I know, doesn't mean I'll actually go.

Did someone seriously think that Sony would leave the console market after the PS3? Seriously, come on, someone?
Well Sony has a lot riding on the PS3 and Blu-Ray. If both of them bomb, they may not have the money to invest in another console.

Well Sony has a lot riding on the PS3 and Blu-Ray. If both of them bomb, they may not have the money to invest in another console.

Sure there is, Spiderman 3 will release next year. Sony would not leave a market that increases every year, even if they had one rough year, and knowing that they had success for two generations.

I'm thinking that Blu-Ray is on the march to "losing" to HD-DVD. I know that HD-DVD has my vote.

But I think the PS3 will have success but not nearly as much as the PS2 has experienced.