European Playstation 2 game not playable in NA

Someone I know bought a PS 2 game in Ireland about a year ago. Apparently you cannot play European games on North American consoles.

Does anyone know why and if there is a way to actually play it in the North American console. Thanks!

I'm not calling you a liar by any means, but apparently there is a chip that could be used (placed where and on what, I have no idea)? The Multisystem TV is the absolute only way then?

Don't worry about the multi-region TV issue, if you use a proper SCART lead then it wont be a problem. I should know, as on my old PS1 I used to play imported games all the time.

As for playing said games on your NA PS2, you need to look into the various mod chips and such that are available.

I don't know if discussing it is allowed or not, but I'll give you what information I can.

Firstly, if your PS2 is a newer, slimline PS2 (With the drop down lid) then you can get away with it by downloading a special boot disk and messing with some of the buttons under the lid (there's 3 I believe, but if you google around then you'll be able to find many helpful guides explaining it all) - no mod chips required.

If it's an older PS2, the fat ones, then it gets a bit tricky. You either can get a mod chip, which must be soldered onto part of the motherboard (you'll have to find someone to do this for you if you're not confident about it yourself) or the slightly less awkward route, of replacing the plastic shell the PS2 has with one that has an open top lid (so it kinda makes it a fat version of the newer, slimline PS2's) so you can use the boot disks.

I hope this helped you.

I'm not calling you a liar by any means, but apparently there is a chip that could be used (placed where and on what, I have no idea)? The Multisystem TV is the absolute only way then?

I'm sorry I gave you wrong information. I owned a modded PS (the first ones ever) and that's how it was for me. I could only play PAL games when it was attached to a TV that supported PAL. Otherwise it would look all scrambled. I think. Long time ago. :p