PS3 aailable at local grocery store!

I was out a couple days ago shopping for groceries for New Year's and as I walked out I went past an area where they sold some DVDs and some cheap $20 DVD players. I couldn't believe my eyes what they had behind the cashier's counter...It was 4 boxes with 60GB PS3s that they had available. I asked them if they were actually selling them and they confirmed. I asked if they also sold the Nintendo Wii and they said that they do and are pretty much sold out as soon as a new shipment comes in....weird. They also told me, and I quote, "Yeah, we always have a line-up for the Nintendo Wii but no one wants a PS3." Just out of curiosity I called a few stores (Best Buy, Future Shop, EBGames, Radio Shack) and I asked them if they had Wii's and some said, no way! You gotta wait in line every thursday night for friday shipments, but if you want, we do have PS3s available.

I find this very interesting. To me this is proof of the PS3's success thus far. Unfortunately, a system with a lot of potential has been crippled by inadequate marketing.

I am not basing my theory entirely on this aspect, of course there are others to consider such as launch titles, titles due to launch further down the road, console value in the competitive market etc. It just seems like every store I go to or call is saying that people show very little interest in the PS3, hence its already availability as opposed to the trend that usually follows a console's launch. After all the hype that it got before, people were expected (by Sony) to kneel in front of it in worship and it turns out that it is quite the opposite. I suspect a lot of people are driven away by the price. Also, the consoles that have been bought seems that most spend their time traveling on eBay or being returned than actually being played. So lets tally up here. Many people show no interest + consoles being continuously sold on eBay / private auctions + consoles returned = trouble at Sony's video game division. Correct me if I am wrong but it doesn't take a genius to see that it is amongst the worst performing consoles that have been created thus far.

I completely agree with what you say now, but this line caused some confusion and made it appear as though you were saying the opposite:

To me this is proof of the PS3's success thus far.

I saw 5 60GB PS3s on the floor at Fry's today (a Saturday night). I asked the guy how long they'd been there and he said "A long time." They didn't have any Wiis in stock, but they had about 300 Xbox 360s piled up on the floor in the main walkway next to a big plasma screen with a 360 playing whatever the new college hoops game is called, and lots of people oogling it.

Quite a contrast with the Wii and with the 360 last year. Even moreso when you consider how few PS3s have shipped to the US compared to how many Wiis there are, and to how many 360s there were last year.

I saw 5 60GB PS3s on the floor at Fry's today (a Saturday night). I asked the guy how long they'd been there and he said "A long time." They didn't have any Wiis in stock, but they had about 300 Xbox 360s piled up on the floor in the main walkway next to a big plasma screen with a 360 playing whatever the new college hoops game is called, and lots of people oogling it.

Quite a contrast with the Wii and with the 360 last year. Even moreso when you consider how few PS3s have shipped to the US compared to how many Wiis there are, and to how many 360s there were last year.

Yep same as what I saw here in Toronto. They had no Wii's, some PS3s and a boat load of Xbox 360s. The Premium package for the 360 was lowered in price from $499 to $449 Canadian dollars.

I was surprised by this too. Just a few days ago I was running around looking for some Wii accessories, and 5 stores in my area (walmarts, futureshops, EB..) all had a bunch of ps3's siting around.

This might not be the same story in Europe when the PS3 gets released. Or will it? When I first saw the Wii, I never thought it would be as successful as it is now. But the Wii seems to have attracted millions of new gamers, thanks to its unique gameplay motive. The PS3 could be considered just an overpriced upgrade. What I'm suprised at is how come the PS3 costs so much to develop? The 360 costs about the same as it is sold for, and it's just as powerful as the PS3.

Answers on a postcard, please.

ok u can say kind of the same things going on in spain as well because as ps3 isnt here yet but demand for ps3 is ther but wii is kind of selling like crazy around here and same no stocks of wi left and indiviuals shops who have the ii are selling it at a high price

but i personally have a xbox360 and i know its superior to both ps3 and wii till now in graphics as well so people are jsut buying the other machine only for their brand name thats all.

What I'm suprised at is how come the PS3 costs so much to develop? The 360 costs about the same as it is sold for, and it's just as powerful as the PS3.

Answers on a postcard, please.

The answer is the blu-ray drive which accounts for a good $200-300 worth of the system's price.

Doesn't seem to be the case over here, I was told that Best Buy is un-aware when they get there shipments for the PS3's because Sony is just randomly sending them in. But that does give you a higher chance of picking one up in the store.

I'm about 90% done saving for the PS3, but I think I'm going to hold out till March anyway. I'm starting to lean towards a 360 or a Wii, but I'm talking myself out of it. :|