Windows Vista Ultimate OEM

I have a question. With them sticking all the versions of Windows on one disk and it just installs based oin what version you have a license for are they planning to charge people that want to upgrade from the 32bit release to the 64. I mean it's basically the same OS release. Would be interesting to see or at least know what the price gap would be to move up to the x64 seeing as I just got a laptop that will get me a free upgrade to the 32bit release but drivers permitting (being a laptop its an issue) I would prefer the x64 version.

I totally agree but with above. The drivers for x64 hardware have been giving me headaches and prevented me from making the jump so far. Hopefully my laptop (HP Pavillian) will have some soon enough.

edit: looks like HP's sites been updated and they now list vista drivers. Only 1 driver there so far but it supports x86 and x64 so perhaps I am in luck.

Edited by Smigit

I used XP x64 for over a year and switched to Vista a while back.

I must say XP x64 is the best OS all in all.

It's an updated version of XP built on 2003 code but with all the components of XP.

Vista x64 is quite similar but when you take the visuals away the rest of the new stuff is anoying at best.

When XP x64 SP2 comes out I might even go back unless some of the software I use is made to work better on Vista.

Also having to press F8 at every boot to use an old x64 driver in vista is a real pain.

edit: one think to note:

I havnt seen any driver or application yet that supports vista x64 but not xp x64. They might show up in the future but I don't think any serious company would drop that support for at least a few years since it's easier to make drivers and software for xp than vista.

Edited by SBeaver

Where's the problem? You'd have to be way past retarded to use 32bit Vista. By far the most stringent argument to switch over to Vista is 64bit, and if you take that away, there's hardly a really good reason left, so you could stay just as well with XP.

(And don't talk to me about that botched XP64, it's a bad joke).

Besides that, I'd rather take Vista Business Oem - much cheaper than Ultimate Oem (only ~2/3 price) and not as much superfluent stuff.

Thats not totally true being retarted would be trying to use 64bit vista if you only have a 32bit cpu.

Not everyone has 64bit cpus but still has computers capable of running vista.

can anyone confirm for me if vista will ship at the end of the month for the uk or are there any delays for us as the eu needs to swing its anti competitive axe

Where's the problem? You'd have to be way past retarded to use 32bit Vista. By far the most stringent argument to switch over to Vista is 64bit, and if you take that away, there's hardly a really good reason left, so you could stay just as well with XP.

(And don't talk to me about that botched XP64, it's a bad joke).

Besides that, I'd rather take Vista Business Oem - much cheaper than Ultimate Oem (only ~2/3 price) and not as much superfluent stuff.

What are you on about? I tried using 64 bit edition on my machine when it went RTM and it was downright terrible. There is still sod all driver support and I had a whale of a time forcing applications to work properly.

Also if I wanted it to load unsigned drivers I had to tell it every bootup.

In the end I couldn't be bothered and just went back to 32bit.

The only 64bit OS I use every day is 2003 64bit on some servers at work and it works beautfully. For desktop users, 64bit OS has a long way to go

While it is a good price, I REALLY can't stand overclockers. So many faulty products/deliverys not to mention their terrible customer service. I'd rather pay a little bit more and get it from somebody like Dabs/Ebuyer/etc.

1. I thought I read that OEM versions could now be sold without any hardware accompanying it?

2. If you buy a memory and an OEM version of windows, the transfer thing is restricted to the first computer you installed the memory and the OS, or it has to be "attached" to the memory? Like, you are supposed to install that windows copy wherever that memory is. ?

3. You can buy OEM versions from amazon.co.uk. At least there are OEM XP copies there, so I suppose that they will do the same with vista. Prices aren't bad either. Example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-...p;s=electronics

lol Bought stuff from them over 3 years and never had a problem. True, telephone service has a long queue, but I always managed to talk to them and sort out the one problem I had.

I'm looking at the OEM Home Premium version and WOW is all I can say at that price. I was also looking at the Home Premium upgrade aswell (that is only ?5 more expensive than the Ultimate OEM). Have a couple of questions though,

1) Would I be able to upgrade more than one PC with the Home Premium upgrade version of Vista?

2) Would it be slower if I just upgraded XP to Vista rather than buy the full retail version of Vista and do a whole new installation?

Does anyone know what exactly the OEM version is tied to? Is it just the motherboard?

Cwn

AFAIK, it's whatever MS define as a device.

Also, quote from http://www.apcstart.com/4347/tough_new_rules_on_vista_oem

'Straight from the horse's mouth -- "spokesperson" at Microsoft Australia:

"OEM versions of Windows Vista must be distributed to end-users with a fully assembled computer system and must be pre-installed."'

OEM is tied to the machine you activate it on. It lives and dies with the machine, with no transferral of license at all. So if you upgrade later (motherboard, multiple parts etc) you will have to buy another license. That's why it's so cheap compared with the retail version. It's also limited to the number of activations on the original hardware over a period of time.

It's handy for businesses, or people who just sell on their machines later on in order to build a new rig, they just buy a new copy and install on new hardware.

I'm looking at the OEM Home Premium version and WOW is all I can say at that price. I was also looking at the Home Premium upgrade aswell (that is only ?5 more expensive than the Ultimate OEM). Have a couple of questions though,

1) Would I be able to upgrade more than one PC with the Home Premium upgrade version of Vista?

2) Would it be slower if I just upgraded XP to Vista rather than buy the full retail version of Vista and do a whole new installation?

1. Both have one license for one machine. It can be done technically but not legally

2. Afaik (not tried it myself) upgrading xp is slower than installing vista fresh

1)no, its a single license

2)upgrade refers only to the fact you have a preexisting XP license. You can still do a fresh install using Vista Upgrade and start anew and yes, I think thats probably recommended.

Number 2 seems to confuse ALOT of people even here and it suprises me actually. You can do a fresh install with an upgrade edition, you just need to supply the cd key (or the cd itself) for the previous OS copy. Technically whats on the disk is no different to a full version, whats difference is how it is licensed and sold to the user. The other one is when people buy a full retail copy. Some people think you cant upgrade the OS keeping data using this which again is false, any copy will allow you to retain XP's settings if you wish. I dont think its desirable but and a fresh install is usually best.

Suppose the answer is to bite the bullet and build a "relative" future proof rig now with the money you save buying OEM rather than full retail version. Should at least get away with 1 more upgrade on that rig before MS "pulls the plug".

You'd have to be way past retarded to use 32bit Vista.

What a load of old crap. I used 64 Vista for a while, but ended up pulling out my hair over driver issues and incompatable programmes. Granted in the future these issues will be minimal but NOW they are and Im an impatient so and so. Im currently using Vista 32bit and loving it.

Thanks for the Link

I pre-ordered last night. Does anyone know where i can find software and hardware list that would be compatible with Windows Vista? My mate told me most software and hardware would because when XP came out, there were hardly any problems. Is that true?