Windows Vista Ultimate OEM

I would hang tight on buying the OEM for now, Microsoft are saying that they will be actually enforcing the license this time!

So if you get a new machine (or motherboard for that fact) you will need a NEW license.... So that another copy of OEM you would have to buy!! :blink:

I would hang tight on buying the OEM for now, Microsoft are saying that they will be actually enforcing the license this time!

So if you get a new machine (or motherboard for that fact) you will need a NEW license.... So that another copy of OEM you would have to buy!! :blink:

Would you still have to buy another license if your motherboard died? If not, I assume you would probably have to phone Microsoft to re-activate. :(

Would you still have to buy another license if your motherboard died? If not, I assume you would probably have to phone Microsoft to re-activate. :(

They would allow you to reactivate (over the phone) if your board is replaced under warranty, so it has to be the same or have the similar features (EG. the original board is no longer available) but if you jump up in spec or change from AMD to Intel then it's a new license. :wacko:

Personly i think i might go for Home Premium Retail, save the haste!

All versions of vista look at the following components for activation:

-> CPU

-> GPU

-> HD

You would have to change all 3 [or is it 1?] before windows will need a reactivation [this applies to both oem and retail]. If you have run out of reactivations then give microsoft a call and explain to them the situation and they will allow you to reactivate.

I bought this from overclockers and am eagerly awaiting my copy of Vista Ultimate OEM.

I've got a laptop, about 6 months old (Core Duo 2.0Ghz) which I figure will last me 2 maybe 3 years. So I intend to spend ?140ish for Vista Ultimate OEM now, and then when I get a new laptop it will come with Vista installed already, so I'm not too worried.

Can someone clarify what happens if I install Vista OEM over my current XP Pro install, and then I need to do a reformat and reinstall? How does that work? Am I stuffed?

The only thing that puts me off is that it's only the 32bit version. If I get a new laptop in the next year, it'll probably have a 64bit CPU.

There is both x86 and x84 versions but not sold together. I want x86 for my laptop and x64 for my main computer so there is no way i can install them on both. I think i am going to hold off and stay with XP or save up and buy the retail version but i cannot really decide. The OEM is tempting just abit limited even if its cheaper.

Ordered mine from local PC Trade company today where I have an account ?124 inclusive (with free optical mouse thrown in - the hardware required to sell OEM). Roll on launch day:))

Ordered mine from local PC Trade company today where I have an account ?124 inclusive (with free optical mouse thrown in - the hardware required to sell OEM). Roll on launch day:))

I'm from liverpool too, where did you buy it?:))

- Mike

I'm from liverpool too, where did you buy it? :)

- Mike

Computer Plus in the docks, but you need to have an account with them. They're expecting their stock on 30th of this month.

Tee hee - XP Pro SP2 is more expensive.

Well, Vista Ultimate has quite a few more features ;)

Like Windows Media Center, tablet PC support, and much more.

I'd personally not think of *Ultimate* as too necessary, but Business OEM for ?79 was quite impressive.

Yes! My Vista Ultimate OEM from Overclockers has been dispatched and should be getting it tomorrow!! :D

Anyone else ordered it from Overclockers?

Edited by Peewee210

Yes! My Vista Ultimate OEM from Overclockers has been dispatched and should be getting it tomorrow!! :D

Anyone else ordered it from Overclockers?

I just ordered home premium oem, being delivered on Tuesday :D!

I assume we dont get the retail packaging etc lol? I aint bothered, i just want a "legit" Vista Home Premium [;)]

Well I would get Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Edition DVD - OEM - 1Pk @ ?135.11. Well worth it because it is cheaper than the retail version:DD.

In some cases it is no worth upgrading because of the type of software already bought that requires 32bit Windows XP only

Edited by the tecky