PSP - 3.03 OE-A Released - PSX ISO Compression

From pspupdates.qj.net

We here at QJ like the fact that if you phonetically pronounced Dark_AleX's latest custom firmware (OE-A), you end up saying "Oh yeah!" and quite aptly so. Oh yeah, indeed, and just as promised, Dark_AleX is once again coded into the annals of PSP homebrew history. He's now released his latest hack: 3.03 OE-A (Open Edition Revision A).

The major features of this release is that it's built for FW 3.03 (no, duh) and that PSX ISO compression is now supported. You'd also be able to use PSX game manuals with the document.dat utility. Here's the full changelog for 3.03 OE-A:

* Change from firmware 3.02 to 3.03

* Added support for compression in psx isos (look at popstation documentation for more details)

* Added support for decrypted document.dat (psx games manual) (look at docmaker documentation for more details)

* Fixed a bug regarding free region: a stupid bug caused it not to work at all. Now it should work, although it has not been tested due to lack of umd's of different regions between the testers and me

* Some generic bug fixes in the code

* Redded the sdk

As with other Dark_AleX custom firmware releases, 3.03 OE-A is installed in the same way. For the newbies, that leaves you with three options: you can either check our ongoing coverage on Dark_Alex-related releases, or you can simply take a look at the readme file included in the archive.

Download:

http://dl.qj.net/Dark_AleX-s-3.03-OE-A-PSP...12092/catid/114

I'm Loving the new PSX iso compression, GT1 went down from 671mb to 203mb :D

This is the correct time to get a PSP if you have ever been interested.

I just got mine a few days ago and these custom firmwares are brilliant :cool:

Not ran a PSX game yet, going to do that today and see how much FF7 compresses

does this just allow PS1 isos? or does it support psp 'backups' too?

does anyone know a site with detailed information?

Edited by Amnesia

It supports PSP backups too in ISO and CSO (compressed iso) format.

Think of it as the latest Sony firmware with the ability to play PSone backups, PSP backups and homebrew.

Humm...i still havent found a decent guide to switch to this dude 3.03 Firmware....

Im in europe...the actual method of flashing is the same for european PSP's??Like the US ones?

Im feeling sad...sounds like a nice firmware...

Humm...i still havent found a decent guide to switch to this dude 3.03 Firmware....

Im in europe...the actual method of flashing is the same for european PSP's??Like the US ones?

Im feeling sad...sounds like a nice firmware...

What version is your current PSP?

My PSP is Japenese and it works fine with USA eboots. I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't matter where your psp is from.

Also for those interested in PSX play, heres some info on 3.03 progress so far.

Game Fixes from 3.02 (there may be more)

-> Breath of Fire 4 - Smaller minor GFX glitches fixed

-> Chrono Cross - Item box glitch fixed

-> Chrono Trigger - Music play is perfect now

-> Constructor (PAL) - Works full speed and no graphic glitch

-> Digimon World 3 - Still freezes when entering certain areas

-> Driver 2 - Gameplay fixed

-> Final Fantasy 7 - Menu glitch fixed, but battle swirl broken

-> Final Fantasy 8 - Some people reporting that there are no more crashes (mixed reports)

-> Final Fantasy 9 - Speed improvement in towns with many NPCs on screen (still not perfect, but better than 3.02)

-> Gekido - Runs now but no music

-> Mortal Kombat Trilogy - had minor problems with 3.02, now it won't load past the Mortal Kombat logo

-> Parasite Eve 2 - Still not working

-> Puma Street Soccer (PAL to NTSC) - Graphical problems fixed

-> Rival Schools - Lag glitch during battles fixed

-> Resident Evil 2 - Still freezing at police department

-> Spiderman - Graphical glitches fixed

-> Tales of Destiny - Works perfectly now. It used to have a slight problem with text boxes in 3.02 OE-B

-> Wild Arms 2 - Works perfectly, unknown compatibility on 3.02

-> X-Files - Still doesn't work right

Some Game Compression Results

Vagrant Story (Pal with Ntsc screen): 737 Mo >>> 118 Mo

Rival Schools 2 (JAP): 647 Mo >>> 408 Mo

Groove Adventure Rave (JAP): 60 Mo >>> 11.6 Mo

Dr Slump (JAP): 99 Mo >>> 55 Mo

Little Ralph Adventure (JAP): 100 Mo >>> 66.5 Mo

Cotton FND (JAP): 30 Mo >>> 4 Mo

Agent Amstrong (JAP): 20 Mo >>> 10 Mo

Hokuto no Ken - 2 (jAP) 689 Mo >>> 331 Mo

LEGEND (PAL to NTSC screenfix) 486 Mo >>> 15 Mo

Metal Gear Solid (disc 1) (US) 672 Mo >>> 480 Mo

Brave fencer Musashi (PAL ?) Waiting for test 406 Mo >>> 245 Mo

My PSP is v2.71....now i dont understand what is means that "TA-082" stuff....what is that and how can i check on mine?

In Sony's offical weby, says that the US firm's, are not absolutly recommend for the european/asian/etc PSP's... =((

My PSP is v2.71....now i dont understand what is means that "TA-082" stuff....what is that and how can i check on mine?

In Sony's offical weby, says that the US firm's, are not absolutly recommend for the european/asian/etc PSP's... =((

Right good, don't update it with any official firmwares over 2.71.

To check if its a TA-082 look at this

http://www.divineo.de/divineo_support/prod...082%20check.jpg

Even if it is dont sweat it, TA-082 has been cracked now anyway.

Basically the next steps would be to go from 2.71 -> 1.5 -> 3.02 OE-A -> 3.02 OE-B -> 3.03 OE-A

Get back to me on the TA-082 status first, then I'll try to find some good guides for you.

Basically the next steps would be to go from 2.71 -> 1.5 -> 3.02 OE-A -> 3.02 OE-B -> 3.03 OE-A

It only needs to be 2.71 -> 1.5 -> 3.03 OE-A, as the new one is a full install again.

It only needs to be 2.71 -> 1.5 -> 3.03 OE-A, as the new one is a full install again.

Cheers, didn't know that!

I just assumed it would be an update like 3.02 OE-A to OE-B

I'm installing 3.03 OE-A now, man, I've never felt more nervous pressing X on my PSP before, I hate disclaimers!! :laugh:

Sitting beside is the Soul Blade PSX CD, it shall be the very first game I try out on my PSP. Most definitely looking forward to it, I really hope it works! :D

Wow, in the time it's taken me to write this, I've got it installed...very nice.

I'm installing 3.03 OE-A now, man, I've never felt more nervous pressing X on my PSP before, I hate disclaimers!! :laugh:

Sitting beside is the Soul Blade PSX CD, it shall be the very first game I try out on my PSP. Most definitely looking forward to it, I really hope it works! :D

Wow, in the time it's taken me to write this, I've got it installed...very nice.

lol, I now how you feel. I used the 2.6 downgrader not long after it was out, and it froze for about 10 secs lol. never been so scared in my life lol. But it worked anyway, so :D.

I still haven't had chance to try any PS1 games, I'm gonna hopefully try GT2 and destruction derby on the weekend. I really want to try hogs of war, but I can't find my disc, and I can't find it anywhere on the net to download lol.

This is great news. I just got my PSP for Christmas and luckily a few days later Dark Alex released his crack for the TA-082.

I went from 2.60 -> 2.71 -> 1.5 -> 3.02 OE-A ->3.02 OE-B

I've been playing backups ever since (I noticed my backups play with less lag than my UMDs). Still haven't played around with any PSX games yet. Look forward to installing this.

Right good, don't update it with any official firmwares over 2.71.

To check if its a TA-082 look at this

http://www.divineo.de/divineo_support/prod...082%20check.jpg

Even if it is dont sweat it, TA-082 has been cracked now anyway.

Get back to me on the TA-082 status first, then I'll try to find some good guides for you.

Yup...mine is TA-082...

Damn. Makes me wish I still had a PSP. I would if the one's I grabbed near the launch didn't have over 5 dead/stuck pixels each (3 seperate PSP's).

I'm sure it's better now though, but at launch the dead pixel issue was insane. Plus I'm a videophile so it bothers the heck out of me :p.

I've got a problem. My PSP upgraded itself to 3.03 automaticaly last week. I just downloaded the easy installer for 3.03 OE-A, it said it installed successfully, I checked the game menu on my PSP, and the firmware install is there, but it won't start up! Is there a downgrader available to downgrade 3.03 down to 1.50, or something like 3.03 -> 2.81 -> 1.50?

I've got a problem. My PSP upgraded itself to 3.03 automaticaly last week. I just downloaded the easy installer for 3.03 OE-A, it said it installed successfully, I checked the game menu on my PSP, and the firmware install is there, but it won't start up! Is there a downgrader available to downgrade 3.03 down to 1.50, or something like 3.03 -> 2.81 -> 1.50?

there is no downgrader available for firmwares above 2.8

So what happens if your PSP is a 1.5???, mine still is...

Just download the 3.03 OE-A package and install. enjoy. :yes:

I'm really interested to get a PSP to play my PS game but I have no idea what to do. Anyone have a link or a guide or something on what I have to do?

God damn I have the 3.03 installed and I am missing out on so much action. I really wish there was a way to downgrade from 3.03 unless im missing something. :angry: