PS3 Launch Outsells Xbox 360 Launch

Sony today announced that they have sold 1 million Playstation 3s in North America since the launch of the console six weeks ago.

That makes the Playstation 3 the fastest selling home console Sony has ever launched.

Microsoft sold 600,000 of their Xbox 360s from their November launch to the second week in January.

"SCEA went to great lengths to help meet demand for PS3, including airlifting systems into North America on a weekly basis to ensure a steady stream of units were available to consumers throughout the holiday season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The fact that we were able to reach the one-million mark faster than our top-selling platform, the PS2, further validates the strength of the PlayStation brand and our belief that consumers are ready to experience true high-definition gaming." ... "Reaching the one million mark for PS3 is the first of many major milestones for us as we head into a new year. Even more impressive, is that we were able to accomplish this feat while successfully managing two other gaming platforms--PS2 and PSP," said Tretton. "With three PlayStation platforms now available to gamers, 2007 will be about software and delivering innovative, new experiences and award-winning franchises to consumers, both through retail and through our online PLAYSTATION Network."

Wow. Maybe all of those PS3s sitting around have more to do with ramped up production than dwindling desire.

News Source: Kotaku

Sony today announced that they have sold 1 million Playstation 3s in North America since the launch of the console six weeks ago.

That makes the Playstation 3 the fastest selling home console Sony has ever launched.

Microsoft sold 600,000 of their Xbox 360s from their November launch to the second week in January.

"SCEA went to great lengths to help meet demand for PS3, including airlifting systems into North America on a weekly basis to ensure a steady stream of units were available to consumers throughout the holiday season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The fact that we were able to reach the one-million mark faster than our top-selling platform, the PS2, further validates the strength of the PlayStation brand and our belief that consumers are ready to experience true high-definition gaming." ... "Reaching the one million mark for PS3 is the first of many major milestones for us as we head into a new year. Even more impressive, is that we were able to accomplish this feat while successfully managing two other gaming platforms--PS2 and PSP," said Tretton. "With three PlayStation platforms now available to gamers, 2007 will be about software and delivering innovative, new experiences and award-winning franchises to consumers, both through retail and through our online PLAYSTATION Network."

Wow. Maybe all of those PS3s sitting around have more to do with ramped up production than dwindling desire.

News Source: Kotaku

Awesome news :yes:

I am more interested to see how things look in a year... people were anticipating the PS3 more because of the long wait for it after the 360 launch. But I think now people have made their decision, and the sales that will become of both consoles in a year or two will dictate who will hold the crown this time around.

And the PS3 is getting all this negativity thrown at it just now for not selling enough? :wacko:

I am more interested to see how things look in a year... people were anticipating the PS3 more because of the long wait for it after the 360 launch. But I think now people have made their decision, and the sales that will become of both consoles in a year or two will dictate who will hold the crown this time around.

I agree it's way too early to tell who won.

Good for Sony

and people saying the the launch is a failure? Doesn't look like a failure when is your fastest selling console at launch

Now Sony bring more damn PS3 to Puerto Rico so I can get one :crazy:

The 360 was thought to fail by many and be killed by the PS3 when it came out...the PS3 will come back as the 360 did with some killer games and make us all want to buy one, it's almost guarenteed.

Sold to stores doesnt mean sold to consumers. I don't recall seeing a stockpile of 360's until many months after the 360 launch - Just an observation, flame me if you will.

1 million sold, but how many actually went to the gamers?

I wouldn't be surprised if 70% of them were bought by people who wanted to sell them on ebay.

Seems like I'm the only one not giving a squat about how many consoles are being sold by MS, Sony or Nintendo.

Aslong as I get a good selection of games I'm all gravy

Sold to stores doesnt mean sold to consumers. I don't recall seeing a stockpile of 360's until many months after the 360 launch - Just an observation, flame me if you will.

Sony has very well actually sold over 1 million consoles. Not to mention, the PS3 is not even available yet in Europe. :p

Eh well, as long as good games come out for it, I'm good. ;)

Good for Sony

and people saying the the launch is a failure? Doesn't look like a failure when is your fastest selling console at launch

You ain't alone, I'm seriously planning an attack on one EBGames or Gamestop.

Are they counting the ones that were sold and then returned because they could sell them on ebay for a couple of grand?

I guess they would, since the consoles were sold nonetheless. Who cares of what the buyer did with them?

1 million sold, but how many actually went to the gamers?

I wouldn't be surprised if 70% of them were bought by people who wanted to sell them on ebay.

Again, something that wouldn't matter, since the consoles sold anyways.

I think kotaku revised the post saying units shipped not sold. whatever, im not looking too much to the console war anymore, tiring.

Great news! Still funny that "those" people still doubt it. "I still don't believe Microsoft has sold as many 360's as they claim.. they are liars!" :rolleyes:

Thumbs up for Sony.. here's to a great 2007 in sales!

Good for Sony

Um, wrong. It's not the fastest selling console at launch. It's Sony's fastest selling console, meaning it's sold faster than the PS1 and PS2. The Wii is over 2 million 3 million according ot NexGen Wars and it is two days younger than the PS3 ;) Er, I think I read you wrong; by "your fastest selling console" you were probably saying what I just said. Um... nvm :)

I hope Sony doesn't bomb from the PS3 but rather issue a gaming console, not a multimedia hub; perhaps then they could release it for a lot less. Maybe that's just wishful thinking...

I'm pretty sure that Sony told everyone that during their keynote speech...

-Spenser

Well, I read the keynote speech, and all they said about the PS3 was the same old with the addition that they shipped 1 million by the end of 2006. Nothing about 75 million nonsense.