Free version of ERD'S Locksmith?

So as the title suggests I'm looking for a tool, CLI or GUI (prefer cli) that can reset and/or show me user names/passwords on the machine a run it on.

While its not 100% needed to show the password, obviously resetting it is a must.

Free is always better.

What have you used in the past?

What would you guys recommend?

I just did this like 3 days ago. I have a customer PC at home that I retrieve the password taking the following steps.

First I boot up using a Knoppix Live CD (I used version 4 cause thats the one I had available).

I accessed %windows%system32/config using Knoppix and copy SAM and system file to the desktop (remember that you are using a live CD, so whatever you save to the desktop if you restart, it will be gone).

Since I had access to the internet, I uploaded the two files to my email (you could also use a USB flash drive, but mine was not been recognized at that time so thats why I used the Internet)

I used a Windows PC and downloaded the two files. Then I found SAMInside.

Run SAMInside and load the SAM file first, then it will say something that you need the system file also, browse and load it also. That will give you an LM Hash and a NT Hash I believe are the columns. Right click on the user that you want to recover the password and copy the LM Hash to the clipboard.

Then go to this website and paste the hash info and submit the hash. It will provide you with the first 7 letters of the password.

Good luck

/EZ

http://www.lcpsoft.com is a freeware version of L0phtcrack (LC5) that is no longer for sale...

Thanks, looks great ill give it a go.

I just did this like 3 days ago. I have a customer PC at home that I retrieve the password taking the following steps.

First I boot up using a Knoppix Live CD (I used version 4 cause thats the one I had available).

~snipped~

/EZ

Seems VERY long winded for something that can just be done with one program.

• 7 years later...