PS3 Sixaxis Controller Wins Emmy

PS3 Sixaxis Controller Wins Emmy

By Kris Graft

Sony Computer Entertainment America is set to receive a technology Emmy tonight for the tilt-sensitive Sixaxis controller for PlayStation 3.

ImageThe National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences found Sony worthy of the Technology and Engineering Emmy Award and will grant Sony the honor at an event this evening during the International Consumer Electronics Showcase 2007 in Las Vegas.

The controller?s tilt capabilities were made public at E3 2006 in May. Developers are still trying to harness the potential of the Sixaxis, with titles such as Warhawk, Lair and Army of Two being some key upcoming titles that use its capabilities in interesting ways.In a statement, Sony also touted other awards to be received at CES, including the CES Best of Innovations Award for 2007, PC World's 20 Most Innovative Products Award, Sound & Vision's Editor's Choice Award and Digital Entertainment Group's Emiel N. Petrone Digital Innovation Award.b>

Source: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...84&Itemid=2

Not to take anything away from Sony, but Microsoft and Logitech did it years before Sony. It seems like it won just because of the hype around the PS3. And if they were looking for innovation in a game controller I don't think I would be the only one to vote the Wii controller over the PS3 one.

Edited by Ironman273

No offense to Sony ... but isn't the Wiimote more innovative than the Sixaxis? The sixaxis is just a Dual Shock with tilt sensors. Or am I missing something. :p

hummm an emmy huh? you know the same place that also gives tv picture emmy's... the same place that is partially funded by sony picture / television studios... no, cant figure out how they got it and Nintendo didnt... nope not at all

Normally I don't bash Sony or anything like that, but this is just dumb. Everyone knows the Wiimote should be winning this, since Sony just stole yet another concept from Nintendo.

I just remember when it was shown at e3 how the press was eating it up. It was the only console on the news, because it's controller is ''nothing like we are used to'', usually if somone would tell that I would suspect them of being sarcastic but news reporters usually try not to be. Wii was not covered at all in the news when it was fully displayed and even if it had the longest que lines ever on e3... so no wonder why people would nominate something like the MS/Logitech six axis controller when they don't really know about Wii.

However I must salute Sony for dominating the hype war, honest or not does not matter you've bought the minds of the Average Joe consumer who listens to celebs... MTV... Sony's Emmy awards... PlayStation did deserve it's emmy when it got it the last time... . Everyone I know can't wait for it, Sony will dominate this time around again. At least the Oscar is not for sale.

Ahh right, I shouldn't slam it because tilting the controller to move to the left is far more interesting and appealing than swinging the controller to slash. I don't have to try it to voice my opinion. Not that the sixaxis is a bad thing, but clearly this award is caca.

Don't slam it until you have tried it.

I have, and Motorstorm is completely uncontrollable using the tilt control, though the version I played was incomplete.

The fact is, it's clearly a sham.

What the....why would the PS3 controller win an Emmy and not the frigging Wii controller?? That SIXAXIS crapola is as worthless as the PS2 controller!

geez christ this is some retarded crap.. My gamepad for the pc feels alot better then the PS2 controller...

An my vote goes with the Wii instead.. :)

If anything the PS3 controller should win the best brick award. :p

Do you think someone in their PR department printed out a nice little certificate?

Will have included:

- WordArt

- ClipArt (maybe some of those cool "beans" people, and a photo of the controller)

- "Official" looking wording in Times New Roman

- "Fill-in form" wording in Comic Sans (cos it looks "written")

huh? Sixaxis is innovative and the Wiimote isn't? :blink: what next, the PS3 is awarded been the best thing since sliced bread? :rofl:

EDIT: Well there you go folks, to make an "innovative" controller all you need to do is follow these simple steps:

Step 1 - Get ~12 year old controller that hasn't changed much over the years.

Step 2 - Make it wireless.

Step 3 - Remove rumble.

Step 4 - Add simple motion detection. (well it is simple compared to the Wiimote at least)

and there you have it, one Emmy Award winning Controller! :laugh: :rofl:

Edited by Xerxes

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the keywords are "six axis" because I was under the impression that the wii is only 4 axis, as was all other controllers until now. I think the wii relies on the IR for the up and down motion, or something. But hey I don't know for sure, just thought it was worth mentioning.

I actually used the wii for the first time last weekend. Rayman Rabits was great fun, but I can't help but fear that my joints would develop RSI very quickly. However I have to say I found the controllers less comfortable than I hoped it'd be. For me the N64 was a great controller, but I guess you can get used to things quickly if you use them enough... However I never liked the ps1/2/3 controller, and never got used to it.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the keywords are "six axis" because I was under the impression that the wii is only 4 axis, as was all other controllers until now.
Google: Gyraton - makers of 3d mice.
but I can't help but fear that my joints would develop RSI very quickly

Do you not do any sport? Most sports involve similar actions.

However I never liked the ps1/2/3 controller, and never got used to it.

Yah - totally agree - never felt "right" to me!