PS3 Sixaxis Controller Wins Emmy

Gyration mouse claims dual-axis.

Not a giant sports person myself, but I know few common sports that involve you twisting your wrist like a maniac to swing an object, or flicking you wrists up and down rapidly. Its the little repetitive motions that cause the most damage.

The Motion detection in the Wii controller makes the Sixaxis look like a cheap toy.

As far as I know the wii not only have motion detection on all axis

Movement 3 directions,

Twist, Yaw and Roll.

hey look, 6 axis :p

It also has detection of acceleration on all these axis.

on top of that again, you have all this on the nunchuck again(giving you 12 axis sort of).

and with the Sensor bar the Wiimote is also able to traingulat 3D spac e position, so it effectively knows where it is.

Personally I think the Wii is mostly a gimmicky device that is fun for a few months, I prefer comofrtably holing my 360 controller and just sitting there flickgint he sticks like the guy in thatEA hockey game ad(though I'm no hockey fan :p)

But the Wiimote is still a great piece of technology, and for certain console games it would be great, namely RPG's and RTS games and a few others (though please keep the shooting bow and arrows liek a real bow crap away from me). And the Sixaxis doesn't come close to it in either innovation(copying more like it), usability or execution. It's just simple motion sensing tacked onto the controller to make it seem more than just a Dual shock without the shock.

I have, and Motorstorm is completely uncontrollable using the tilt control, though the version I played was incomplete.

The fact is, it's clearly a sham.

awww come on u only played it once, u need to pratice with it and soon enough u get used to it! It actually makes the game alot more fun. I aint 2 sure if the controller deserves an award but to me its the best controller yet..so comfortable...so light and all u gota do to charge it is whack it in to the USB no messing around with batteries!

awww come on u only played it once, u need to pratice with it and soon enough u get used to it! It actually makes the game alot more fun. I aint 2 sure if the controller deserves an award but to me its the best controller yet..so comfortable...so light and all u gota do to charge it is whack it in to the USB no messing around with batteries!

The no battery aspect is a great 1-UP for me.

I like the idea of the PS3 controller as it has the best balance between motion sensing and a good ol classic gaming controller.

It's the best of both worlds if you ask me :yes:

The Wii mote is a hell of a lot more inovative, so with that I can see why consumers prefer one or the other.

Gyration mouse claims dual-axis.

Not a giant sports person myself, but I know few common sports that involve you twisting your wrist like a maniac to swing an object, or flicking you wrists up and down rapidly. Its the little repetitive motions that cause the most damage.

Twist like a maniac? Ohh, you're talking about the people who threw their wiimotes into TVs, windows, fans and girlfriends. Well yeah, then it's going to be all crazy. It doesn't take much to play these games. Like baseball, it says to hold the controller like a bat and swing it, while last night, I beat the computer 20-0 while sitting on the couch the majority of the time with the wiimote parallel to my body. :) Edit: and not having to swing it like a bat like they suggested

Edited by Mathachew

Had a quick look into differences between the Wii and the PS3 controllers. The wii has the standard 3-axis sensitivity of yaw/pitch/roll. The PS3 remote adds sensitivity on the movement axis; x,y,z; The ability to detect lift/proximity/strafe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Remote

http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/340

Hate to break it to you, but the Wiimote clearly senses those 'extra' three too.

The PS3's tilt sensor is equal in functionality to the Nunchuck (can't really say the remote itself since the IR camera assists so much). 'SIX AXIS' and 'lift/proximity/strafe' is a load of wishful thinking/and PR BS.

That is all.

Hate to break it to you, but the Wiimote clearly senses those 'extra' three too.

The PS3's tilt sensor is equal in functionality to the Nunchuck (can't really say the remote itself since the IR camera assists so much). 'SIX AXIS' and 'lift/proximity/strafe' is a load of wishful thinking/and PR BS.

That is all.

The nintendo doesn't sense a change in height, or hasn't in the games I've played and according to their spec it doesn't FULL STOP. The PS3 apparently does and visibly does from the demo videos available on youtube. proximity or Z if you want to avoid PR BS as you liked to put it, is also not detected on the wii, I assume X is not also, but the IR takes care of most of the need for the X and Y anyways. Still its not the same technology as in the ps3 controller, claim whatever you will.

The nintendo doesn't sense a change in height, or hasn't in the games I've played and according to their spec it doesn't FULL STOP. The PS3 apparently does and visibly does from the demo videos available on youtube. proximity or Z if you want to avoid PR BS as you liked to put it, is also not detected on the wii, I assume X is not also, but the IR takes care of most of the need for the X and Y anyways. Still its not the same technology as in the ps3 controller, claim whatever you will.

The Wiimote detects changes in G forces along 3 axis. That's all it does, the Wiimote doing so with slightly more precision than the Nunchuck. Now, you tell me if that can detect motion along X, Y, and Z (since every action has an equal and opposite reaction - I'll give you a hint, the answer starts with a Y).

Tilt is merely a function of combining the three readings.

A CHANGE in height would cause a change in the forces on the controller. And as we've,or more accurately you've, now learned the Wii's controllers do in fact have a sensor to detect said forces.

Edit: If you want proof that the Wiimote detects these forces sync it with a computer on Bluetooth and take a look at the graphs some programs can generate.

Edited by Danrarbc641

Maybe you should actually play with the controllers before you jump to conclusions based off of Youtube videos.

Sixasses? Oh my how I'm glad we've all grown here. Go play with your "wee wee" :rolleyes:

In any case, the controller is still quite an upgrade from the previous Dual Shock era sans the 'shock' feature.

Sixasses? Oh my how I'm glad we've all grown here. Go play with your "wee wee" :rolleyes:

In any case, the controller is still quite an upgrade from the previous Dual Shock era sans the 'shock' feature.

Well, let's see... they take the same controller they had, remove one feature (rumble) and add two (wireless and motion). Now compare the Gamecube controller to the Wiimote. Which one is more of an upgrade? (Hint: it's not Sony's)

I just read that.. Bit humorous. The award was for the Dual Shock, not the Sixaxis (meaning the older Vibration enabled controller).

And Nintendo was also awarded from what I've heard.

Apparently Sony are still saying they wont the Emmy for their Sixaxis...

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/4740/

Apparently there has been some confusion over whether or not the SixAxis pad actually won an Emmy. Hydrapinion and other sites are claiming the win is actually for the Dual Shock pad. Well, not wanting to jump on the bash Sony bandwagon without cause, we decided to take the smart route and email our Sony PR representative. Here is what our contact had to say:

It was the SIXAXIS. The press release was correct.

Well, there you have it folks, the e-mail was short, sweet, and to the point. Congrats again Sony on the Emmy win.