MotorStorm does NOT support 1080p

Between a speech by Peter Dille, Sony Computer Entertainment America's senior VP of marketing, and a Sony representative both indicating MotorStorm would debut in the US at 60 frames per second and supporting 1080p resolutions, the Internet's been ablaze with speculation about the off-road racer. Too bad it's all for nothing, as SCEA told 1UP that MotorStorm is most definitely 30fps and remains at a HD resolution of 720p. HD is new concept for gaming, so the mistake isn't a surprise but certainly a disappointment to many with high-end televisions. According to Sony, people "accidentally got caught up in the greater context of his [Dille]point which is that we currently do have (and will be creating much more) content that does run at 1080p and 60fps for PS3."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156337

aaa i was right then :) i said this is the other topic!

And to tell the truth i dont think that guy shud of been allowed to give the speech, to me he seemed like he didnt have a clue

Nevertheless trust me MotorStorm is a beast of a Game :D even with the online play etc...

Who cares? It should still be a promising game at 720p and many are looking forward to it obviously. I guess if I had a 'fake' HDMI port I'd be upset too.

Lots of people care, Sony make it a big point to point out that they do "TrueHD (1080p)" then find out they dont have a powerful enough console to drive most games at 1080p so then they go back on what theyve said, i think Sony needs to stop spewing out outrageous comments then they wont look as stupid.

Who cares? It should still be a promising game at 720p and many are looking forward to it obviously. I guess if I had a 'fake' HDMI port I'd be upset too.

What's a "fake" HDMI port?

What's a "fake" HDMI port?

A USB port bent out of shape, obviously :rofl:

And, while I'm not surprised that (or bothered) that Motostorm runs at 720p, it is disconcerting to here that it only runs at 30 FPS.

And, while I'm not surprised that (or bothered) that Motostorm runs at 720p, it is disconcerting to here that it only runs at 30 FPS.

I'm surprised by this, too. Although I don't own a PS3, I was expecting most, if not all, of the games on it to run at a silky-smooth 60fps, considering that its the most powerful console on the market.

I'll still give this game a whirl though because I'm a racing freak. Now, to find someone I know that owns a PS3... :p

I'm surprised by this, too. Although I don't own a PS3, I was expecting most, if not all, of the games on it to run at a silky-smooth 60fps, considering that its the most powerful console on the market.

I'll still give this game a whirl though because I'm a racing freak. Now, to find someone I know that owns a PS3... :p

It's CPU may the most powerful, but the graphics processor isn't.

It's CPU may the most powerful, but the graphics processor isn't.

Yeah, that's the Key Thing people seem to forget. The CPU maybe all that (which it isn't), but the real problem is the Graphics Processor.

So What if the CPU could control 1000 vs 1000 AI bots or something like that, the fact of the matter is. If you can't produce the graphics capabilities of which needs to show 1000 vs 1000 AI bots killing each other, then it's not really worth bragging about, is it?

I find it scarier that I was able to come up with the word disconcerting :|

I don't actually remember writing the word disconcerting, seriously! :laugh:

^Tell that to the fanboys, they won't listen...

Rest assured something like this could be fixed with a software update and/or patch, but you would never go out of you way to see that right? It's pretty apparent the "fanboys" from the "other side" are here to just merely ramble on about Sony and fuel a bickering match. So much for Neowin's "crackdown" huh? :whistle:

Rest assured something like this could be fixed with a software update and/or patch, but you would never go out of you way to see that right?

And you know that for fact, do you? How do you know the PS3 is even capable of running Motorstorm (specifically) at 1080p? 1080 is a much higher resolution than 720 (duh), so requires alot more power. How do you know Motorstorm @ 720 isn't maxing out the PS3's hardware capability. That would mean a patch is very much not possible, unless you want to play with unplayable frame rates.

EDIT: Also, what k22 said :laugh:

lol *waits on the software patch that magically increases graphics hardware memory before he buys PS3*

Fixes the framerate issue. If you have ever played a PC game in your life you would OBVIOUSLY know this can be done. Guess not! :|

And you know that for fact, do you? How do you know the PS3 is even capable of running Motorstorm (specifically) at 1080p? 1080 is a much higher resolution than 720 (duh), so requires alot more power. How do you know Motorstorm @ 720 isn't maxing out the PS3's hardware capability. That would mean a patch is very much not possible, unless you want to play with unplayable frame rates.

EDIT: Also, what k22 said :laugh:

And how do you know it can't? Because it was not initially shipped with the code to do so? Hence where the patch comes in to adjust resolution problems or fix framerate issues. Or are you the magical designer of this game? Lets hear it.

Fixes the framerate issue. If you have ever played a PC game in your life you would OBVIOUSLY know this can be done. Guess not! :|

And how do you know it can't? Because it was not initially shipped with the code to do so? Hence where the patch comes in to adjust resolution problems or fix framerate issues. Or are you the magical designer of this game? Lets hear it.

Dude, you really think that they're going to revamp Motorstorm's code through a patch / update and make it run at 60 fps on 1080p ? While I understand that patches and updates can fix certain performance issues, I don't think that they can do it at that extent...

Dude, you really think that they're going to revamp Motorstorm's code through a patch / update and make it run at 60 fps on 1080p ? While I understand that patches and updates can fix certain performance issues, I don't think that they can do it at that extent...

Dude, yeah, I do. It's been done with many other games throughout history.. so why not this one? And if your extent theory proves correct, then most of us have seen that 720p/1080i is still amazingly nice. I'm certain the framerate issue can be fixed with a software update,

Wait wait, you want to make the comparison to PC games? Then surely you would know that you can't just run it at the highest resolution you want and expect to run smoothly. Yes, maybe a patch could fix minor framerate issues, but not so you can run it at like double the resolution. What the hell?

Seriously, you're acting like the PS3 has absolutely no technical limitation.

Wait wait, you want to make the comparison to PC games? Then surely you would know that you can't just run it at the highest resolution you want and expect to run smoothly. Yes, maybe a patch could fix minor framerate issues, but not so you can run it at like double the resolution. What the hell?

If the hardware is suppose to push that resolution coded for 1080p then apparently it's possible.. is it not? One game not coded for this does not mean they all won't be, does it? We will eventually see more and more games running in 1080p at 60 frames per second as development continues and developers pick up on coding for the hardware. Hate to burst your bubble.

And of course it has a limitation, but as stated.. the hardware is prepared for this so who is to say it can't be done? You?

I never once said that there won't be future games running at 1080p. Of course there will be, why wouldn't there be? The PS3 is capable of doing so and they're sure as hell gonna take advantage of that. But that's the thing, they don't have to be 1080p, because when you run games at such a resolution, you have to make graphical sacrafices to keep the frame rate acceptable. Sony said something they shouldn't have, Motorstorm can't run at 1080p, and that's really all's there is to it.

Unless of course they release this illusive patch which instantly doubles game performance, which you speak of.