Konami cancels 4-5 PS3 Games

Whether due to the higher cost of game development, a desire to tighten their financial belt or simply a creative brain fart, Konami's apparently decided to can a few games they'd previously announced for PlayStation 3 and Wii, according to a report in Famitsu (via IGN).

No reasons were detailed in Famitsu's report, nor did Konami provide any indication on how far along these games were -- they could have been nothing more than concept documents for all we know.

In any case, here's what's been killed (shooter fans, grab a tissue):

# Gradius Series (PS3)

# Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (PS3)

# New Action Game (PS3)

# New Role Playing Game (PS3)

Or maybe they've jumped on the Yuji Hori bandwagon and moved 'em all to DS. Or not.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156333

Since they've cancelled Wii games too shouldn't this be in the general Console Gamer area? It suggests more PS3 games have been cancelled which, whilst true, is not the whole truth ;)

Since they've cancelled Wii games too shouldn't this be in the general Console Gamer area? It suggests more PS3 games have been cancelled which, whilst true, is not the whole truth ;)

And... what's the whole truth then?

whole turth, and noting but the truth so help me god ..

ammm ... yeah hopefully not all games for ps3 will be canned otehrwise i will have to watch recordings of me opening the non existants ps3 and look at them in slo- mo ... so it lasts longer

That Konami didn't cancel only on the PS3, but also for the Wii. So he's simply stating why not post in in general area instead of in ONLY sony forum.

The truth is that they cancelled Wii games because their purpose was not seen anymore but they cancelled PS3 games because Konami doesn't think that PS3 will survive long enough for them to profit from those games...

The fact that Wii games were cancelled as well...I know the thread starter included it in the topic description but it would've been better to have this new in the Console Gamer section since it relates to both PS3 and Wii.

The truth is that they cancelled Wii games because their purpose was not seen anymore but they cancelled PS3 games because Konami doesn't think that PS3 will survive long enough for them to profit from those games...

QFT

The fact that Wii games were cancelled as well...I know the thread starter included it in the topic description but it would've been better to have this new in the Console Gamer section since it relates to both PS3 and Wii.

Honestly, does it really matter what forum it's in... It's relates to PS3 (more so than Wii; more games cancelled for PS3), so it's in the PS3 forum. And to be fair, the PS3 is probably going to be worse off by this than the Wii is.

they could have been nothing more than concept documents for all we know.

did anyone actually read that?

if true then why does it matter. games scrapped in the early stages.... nothing out of the ordinary im sure.

konami has more important titles to be focussing on anyway!

OH NOES!!

New Action Game, I loved that series :( nearly as much as I loved the New Role Playing Game series :( New Role Playing Game 4 was my favourite.

Does it really bother you that much? They cancelled more games for PS3 so I decided to put it here and deleted some of the Wii from the quote.

Also, if it was in general, that would tend to include the 360, and I didn't want it getting mixed up in something it doesn't belong in. I hope you can understand, oh Playstation fan. Please forgive me!

maybe microsoft its trying to buy konami so we can hope for mgs4 for xbox360

That would attack the PS3's weak spot for massive damage!

ie. If that happened (haha!), PS3 would die a slow and painful death.

LOL! @ Cashman

Firstly, this should be in console section as it applys to PS3 and Wii.

And secondly

Gradius lives: Konami denies 'cancellation' rumor

Yesterday's overblown rumor regarding a spree of "cancellations" at Konami's Japanese headquarters have proven to be quite untrue. Konami has stated that all the previously listed games, including Gradius and the Wii's eagerly anticipated "Action Adventure 2," are still in the works. The chopped release lists printed in the pages of Famitsu and Dengeki have been attributed to simple error.

Unfortunately for fans of first-person shooters, Konami did not have a Phoenix Down to spare for Coded Arms: Assault.

Joystiq