No splitscreen in Motorstorm

http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2007...terview_e_1.php

Does Evolution have any plans (even at this late stage) to implement any split-screen options in the US/PAL versions of MotorStorm?

[From: Anthony N Putson]MS: Rally Evolved dropped split-screen and we?ll probably leave it that way for MotorStorm unless we get an overwhelming demand. Splitting all that high-def detail into two is a performance nightmare. However, the beauty of online consoles is that the game can change in the future and we can sit down with SCEE and say, ?Let?s offer this for download ? the fans want it?.

SK: Split-screen racing requires compromised visual/aural fidelity to accommodate multiple simultaneous views of the environment. For our PlayStation 3 debut, we elected to spend our entire processing/rendering budget on a single view, relying on the more compelling online experience to provide multiplayer thrills...

basically to get splitscreen the quality on screen will deteriorate alot... the system limit has reached in its current optimization form

http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2007...terview_e_1.php

basically to get splitscreen the quality on screen will deteriorate alot... the system limit has reached in its current optimization form

"Lets offer this for download" Good to hear. Love it when they can add options like this via a software update/download.

But I somewhat agree and like that they are trying to push online play. Most homes in the world have access to the internet over broadband now and it only makes sense to sharpen up the game for one player only or for online play. And if those who want to be able to play the game with friends on the same machine can download that feature then all the better. Thumbs up!

"Lets offer this for download" Good to hear. Love it when they can add options like this via a software update/download.

But I somewhat agree and like that they are trying to push online play. Most homes in the world have access to the internet over broadband now and it only makes sense to sharpen up the game for one player only or for online play. And if those who want to be able to play the game with friends on the same machine can download that feature then all the better. Thumbs up!

It sucks if your sitting off with your mates in a house and you both want to play against each other though.

It sucks if your sitting off with your mates in a house and you both want to play against each other though.

Read my last sentence...? The article states they will even offer it a a download if desired by the fans. Can't see why it wouldn't be offered as an optional download. Lots of interest in this game.

Read my last sentence...? The article states they will even offer it a a download if desired by the fans. Can't see why it wouldn't be offered as an optional download. Lots of interest in this game.

Ahh, fair enough! ;)

They claim it can't be done because of the machine's reached it's limit thusfar, but they'll add it in if people ask for it?

**** off. You either CAN do it, or you CAN'T. Add it in or abondon the feature altogether, but don't make us wait for a feature that should of been in the retail copy.

I think what they're saying is that with the single view it's reached it's limit. If people want dual screen then they'll dial down each view (I wonder to what levels) to be able to process the dual view. My question is if this is the limit of the machine, what's going to happen to 2nd and 3rd gen games? Does he mean limit for 1st gen? Very confusing.

I think what they're saying is that with the single view it's reached it's limit. If people want dual screen then they'll dial down each view (I wonder to what levels) to be able to process the dual view. My question is if this is the limit of the machine, what's going to happen to 2nd and 3rd gen games? Does he mean limit for 1st gen? Very confusing.

I don't believe its a hardware limitation. Like anything maybe they're still trying to nail down the coding to optimize games for the hardware? If you've played the demo the visuals are pretty demanding on the hardware already.. it really is a beautiful game and the extra effects placed within are very appealing. Maybe they will have less vehicles racing in two player.. or who knows? The game is still over a month from their projected release date.

I don't believe its a hardware limitation. Like anything maybe they're still trying to nail down the coding to optimize games for the hardware? If you've played the demo the visuals are pretty demanding on the hardware already.. it really is a beautiful game and the extra effects placed within are very appealing. Maybe they will have less vehicles racing in two player.. or who knows? The game is still over a month from their projected release date.

Yeah, that could be true. They might've gotten all they new to get out of it. I agree the visuals are very nice. I was stuck in Target last night while my wife was looking for some things so I played it for a good 20 minutes. My impressions were that you look at it and see how sharp and detailed everything is. I'll mention that the fire effect is pretty bad, though. I realize that has bery little to do with the gameplay, but still it kind of stuck out at me.

The thing is, I went around the counter and played some Lost Planet and they same sharpness was there. I realize they are 2 completely different games. Later that night I fired up PGR3 at home and the graphics and terrain detail were pretty much the same. If not a little more impressive because of the urban landscape of PGR. Also, the Motorstorm demo only lets you play that one mountain track, so it's all I have to compare with.

I realize it's completely subjective, but it's just how it looked to me.

Yeah, that could be true. They might've gotten all they new to get out of it. I agree the visuals are very nice. I was stuck in Target last night while my wife was looking for some things so I played it for a good 20 minutes. My impressions were that you look at it and see how sharp and detailed everything is. I'll mention that the fire effect is pretty bad, though. I realize that has bery little to do with the gameplay, but still it kind of stuck out at me.

The thing is, I went around the counter and played some Lost Planet and they same sharpness was there. I realize they are 2 completely different games. Later that night I fired up PGR3 at home and the graphics and terrain detail were pretty much the same. If not a little more impressive because of the urban landscape of PGR. Also, the Motorstorm demo only lets you play that one mountain track, so it's all I have to compare with.

I realize it's completely subjective, but it's just how it looked to me.

The fire effect is definitely a PS2-ish effect.. but hey, every now and again those little details add up right? Maybe they'll improve upon it by next month or into March. PGR3 is pretty nice.. and if polished up a little more, GT5 will be an awesome comparison game. The vehicle models in GTHD are very pretty though.

Tis a great shame to lose split screen. At the moment I have no passion for online play, so multiplayer by split screen is what I look for in most games I purchase. May give this one a pass if split screen is not included for sure.

They claim it can't be done because of the machine's reached it's limit thusfar, but they'll add it in if people ask for it?

**** off. You either CAN do it, or you CAN'T. Add it in or abondon the feature altogether, but don't make us wait for a feature that should of been in the retail copy.

Totally agree with you there. They realised that the PS3 isnt so powerful after all :laugh:

Man, forget split screen. All we did for like two hours at an all-nighter was overheat the bike and watch the lady fly and flop in slow motion. ;)