Valve: PS3 a "total disaster on so many levels"

Yay for something he said which is completely irrelevant! :D :D :D

Forgot to add the last part....:p

We will find out in the future who is the total real winner. :)

For a guy who doesn't know anything, he has done very well with HL1, HL2, Counter Strike, Counter Strike Source, and all the other mods and games he has worked on.

If he says Vista is crap, it just shows he ain't bias towards Microsoft! :p

Yeah, just because you like Vista (assumption based on your avatar) and you like PS3 (assumption based on your posts) and Gabe Newell doesn't, doesn't make him wrong. It doesn't make him right either, but you can't act like a very prominent developer's opinions don't matter.

-Spenser

Yeah, just because you like Vista (assumption based on your avatar) and you like PS3 (assumption based on your posts) and Gabe Newell doesn't, doesn't make him wrong. It doesn't make him right either, but you can't act like a very prominent developer's opinions don't matter.

-Spenser

Agreed.

Alot of you guys are contradicting yourself. Fisrt you say PS3 is failing because it is hard to code for but then you say well if it didn't have the blue-ray and was cheaper then it would it be able to compete with xbox. I don't own any consoles because I think PC games blow away consoles by far.

Thais guys said Vista sucks also

Are you saying this to discredit his opinion or reinforce the accuracy of his judgement? ;)

Back on topic. Well erm.... he is right.

Alot of you guys are contradicting yourself. Fisrt you say PS3 is failing because it is hard to code for but then you say well if it didn't have the blue-ray and was cheaper then it would it be able to compete with xbox. I don't own any consoles because I think PC games blow away consoles by far.

How is that contradicting ourselves? Actually, that doesn't make any sense at all.

If anything, you've just stated two common problems with the PS3.

1) It's hard to code for..

2) The unnecessary Blu-Ray drive has pumped up production costs, and has caused the company to produce far less consoles than they were originally meant to.

I understand that Blu-ray is good for holding large amounts of information, but, why force it on their customers, why not just release a add-on for it like the Xbox360 has for the HD-DVD drive?

I don't own a PS3, and I could not care less. But I can't beleive that any of you remember how people (dev) where moaning about how hard it was to put games on the PS2, the Emotion Engine was not easy to code for and that Sony had poor Devkit..... blah blah blah??

And where is the PS2 today? It's still the top selling game console. Even with the Xbox/360 and GC/Wii and PS3.

So, is that to say that Valve will not develop games for the PS3? Put your action where your mouth is, if you don't like the PS3, stand up and don't develop for it. If enough dev stop working for the PS3, maybe Sony will understand.

People saying this guys words are worthless and are meaningless need to go and learn who the REAL people in the games industry are, first of all, PC Gaming is the basis of all gaming, weather you disagree or not, because thats where the first technologies are introduced and then ported onto consoles. Gabe Newell and Valve are a big name in the gaming industry, compared to EA Games, Ubisoft, and many other companies that are more popular even though they haven't produced as much classics as this company has. Also, don't forget John Carmack who also has pointed out that the Playstation 3 is one of the hardest gaming consoles that he has come across to develop for.

People saying this guys words are worthless and are meaningless need to go and learn who the REAL people in the games industry are, first of all, PC Gaming is the basis of all gaming, weather you disagree or not, because thats where the first technologies are introduced and then ported onto consoles. Gabe Newell and Valve are a big name in the gaming industry, compared to EA Games, Ubisoft, and many other companies that are more popular even though they haven't produced as much classics as this company has. Also, don't forget John Carmack who also has pointed out that the Playstation 3 is one of the hardest gaming consoles that he has come across to develop for.

They can moan all they want. In the end, it's money that talks. If they realy don't like to develop on the PS3, well, they should not. They should let the PS3 fail. But that's not going to happen, since it's all about money. And again, remember the day of the PS2, it was all the same.

It doesn't matter how hard it is to code for, if people buy it, then developers will code for it. But in that, there's a catch 22. If people are sort of buying it, but kind of waiting for the price to drop first, then developers will leave it and go for either the Wii or the 360.

So no, no one is contradicting themselves, because developers will develop for a platform if it has a large marketshare (why do you think so many malware creators target Windows?), but if people wait to buy it, then developers will move to another platform. If that happens, customers for the PS3 will loose out of exclusive games. Those games will move to another platform most likely.

Considering his comments, why are they developing for PS3/360 and not the Wii?

I have a feeling it is graphics. Valve wants the best graphics possible and the Wii cannot deliver that. Hence the reason they are developing for the 360.

I have a feeling it is graphics. Valve wants the best graphics possible and the Wii cannot deliver that. Hence the reason they are developing for the 360.

While I agree, they did port HL2 over to the Xbox. And if he really thinks Nintendo is going to lead, it'd be cheaper and more profitable to port a version to the Wii than the other 2 systems.

Considering his comments, why are they developing for PS3/360 and not the Wii?

Wait what Game is Vavle makeing for the playstation 3

i thaught they was working only for the 360 on game developing

I respect that Valve doesn't like the direction Sony went with the PS3 (neither do I) but as a business themselves it is ridiculous to suggest that Sony drop the hundreds of millions worth of investment and abandon the millions of people that have already bought one; they are just after headlines. Perhaps I'll start listening to Valve when they can release even a single product on time - heck, even their patches are usually delayed by months. Valve was great in its prime but that time has long since passed and they are little more than a laughing stock.

I find that commenting on how their patches are delayed quite pointless. They generally don't give an exact date on when the update will arrive, and I find that they're generally good with updates. I remember when they released an update, which caused a huge bug in the competitive field of play. Everyone was raising riots and I knew they'd patch it quickly and the next working day, they did (Who expects Valve to release patches on the weekend over an unsuspecting bug?)

Anyway. Valve's statement to Sony to drop it completely is really quite huge. I doubt he means it, and just wants to get extra media points for making a shocking statement. It's hard to agree with a developer about these things, not being one and never ever developing something for any of these consoles.

Hmm after reading this again I feel its rather unprofessional. He almost sounds as bad as a drivel spewing "fanboy".

All I can say if this is 100% true then I dont think Valve will be in Sony's good books :p (could come back to haunt him IF the PS3 takes off!)

Hmm after reading this again I feel its rather unprofessional. He almost sounds as bad as a drivel spewing "fanboy".

All I can say if this is 100% true then I dont think Valve will be in Sony's good books :p (could come back to haunt him IF the PS3 takes off!)

Sony should do everything but **** off it's developers.

Sony should do everything but **** off it's developers.

:huh:

What I mean is Valve could end up not being able to release games on the PS3 thanks to that comment/or similar ones. Yes I realize this is BAD for Sony but you know what sorta grudges get held nowadays.

Is that what you thought I meant? heh.

A developer should be honest if they want to get anywhere these days. Microsoft know what to do, but Sony, after it's third try at a console, they are still arrogant and stupid not to make proper Dev Kits.

A developer should be honest if they want to get anywhere these days. Microsoft know what to do, but Sony, after it's third try at a console, they are still arrogant and stupid not to make proper Dev Kits.

Their methods haven't hurt them in the past. PS/PS2 is the best selling console to date.

It doesn't look soo gravy this time around, but you never know what wonders some time will do.

Their methods haven't hurt them in the past. PS/PS2 is the best selling console to date.

It doesn't look soo gravy this time around, but you never know what wonders some time will do.

Atari 2600 and Nintendo Super Entertainment System were the best selling consoles in their time also.

Atari 2600 and Nintendo Super Entertainment System were the best selling consoles in their time also.

Difference being Sony has dominated consistantly since 1996 with the PS brand, beating off numerous consoles

-Dreamcast

-N64

-Xbox

We'll see how they do this round.