PS3 Hardware: Explained - *Revision 1*

This post has been cross-referenced in places where I can?t even foresee anymore. Since it is reaching a widespread audience, I will try to remove just about any of my ?final? judgments, and leave things at a point where perhaps you know the difference, and if you think it?s better or worse is your own decision. In the discussion on this forum, I?ll be less reserved about expressing my views freely. If you found this article through Google or a link from another site or forum, you?re welcome to join the forums and engage in the discussion if you have questions.

I?ve gotten a little sick of PS3?s hardware being misunderstood and incorrectly compared to other consoles/PCs out there. It?s shocking to note that even key figures in the gaming industry have made ignorant statements about the Playstation 3. Debates also come up in this forum in threads which initially have nothing to do with the hardware or what it is capable of. This thread is supposed to be a dump and debate of all of that technical information and what it actually means the Playstation 3 can or can?t do ? and the likelihood that it will actually do what it can.

In this initial post I will cover all of the information I know through research, my analysis on it as far as what the Playstation 3 can do, and extend it with common comparisons to other hardware out there. I will also include a reference list of the numerous places where I found my information. If you are going to engage in discussion in this thread, I suggest you read at least a couple of the relevant articles on what you are talking about. I also suggest you have basic computer knowledge before backing up what some press source claims says if it?s highly technical. On the same page, even what I say shouldn?t be taken as it unless you actually understand it. Otherwise, if you don?t understand the material, you won?t be able to back yourself up if someone presents valid arguments against you and will bring up irrelevant support that wastes time.

In this thread, do not state ?PS3 can/can?t do this because [insert spokesperson]said so.? Provide technical, analytical, or logical backup of your own, or that person?s own explanation on why they believe so. Debate will be on the analysis and backup and not settled by the rank of the people who made whatever statements. In other words, if a spokesperson says something and gives shallow backup, a counter argument with valid and further analysis overrides it.

This is a mammoth of a read. I read chunks of it and its really interesting. Give it a read if you have time (link b:pow, no way I can copy/paste it here :p)

http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=22858

Very detailed and from the first bit I have looked at it appears to be unbiased ( I think thats a first when talking about the latest Consoles).

I will have a better look when i have a spare hour.... or two :)

I think the only thing that sony messed up on the PS3's hardware was the SIXAXIS controller. Yeah some of you say that vibration is useless. But games like MGS remind me of why the dual shock was so cool and it has a bunch of other uses. Everything else about the PS3's design is fine cept even with the production issues. I want one but not for $600. I will enjoy my Wii till I can get a PS3 for like 250ish.

he wrote this before the PS3 had come out... can we be sure that the facts and figures he uses are accurate? since sony had a habit of changing specs/promises constantly just before release.

the article is nice and all but he's talking a lot BS of stuff he doesn't even know about the 360... he needs to get his facts strait and some reality check... :happy: :yes:

It was made in July of last year, things might have changed a bit since then, perspectively wise I mean.

Excellent read. He pretty much hits all aspects about the hardware. Read into it and I couldn't see how any tech geek would be unimpressed with the hardware inside. I love how he goes into the SIMD structure also.. proves that there is much potential yet to be unleashed. :yes:

Interesting read, but still a lot of it is based on guesses or estimations - for example, he thinks that GDDR3 has higher latency than XDR, but has no documentation to back that up.

I'm also not sure that his conclusion in the PS3 vs 360 section fits with the rest of the article. It's pretty clear to me that the question of which has more power is a matter of what you're doing and how you're doing it. He describes reasons why comparing one Xenon core (or its VMX-128 unit) to the PPE isn't fair... but then seems to arbitrarily decide that the PS3 is overall more powerful because it has more "cores" (even though they're entirely incomparable).

Very detailed and from the first bit I have looked at it appears to be unbiased ( I think thats a first when talking about the latest Consoles).

I will have a better look when i have a spare hour.... or two :)

Have a good read through it and you can clearly see it is 'very' biased.

Very impressive. It's a lot to take in, but I'm interested in reading all of it sometime in the near future. From what I've read so far, it's clear he is very opinionated and biased, but he does make some fair points I hadn't considered. I'm going to have to read a lot more before I come to any conclusion though.