PS3 set to cost

What margins?! Sony is still making a loss on each unit...

They should have thought about that when bundling the Blu-Ray drive then, because the PS3 could have actually been a profit from day one and driven down the actual cost to buy one thus making it more competitive against their rivals and selling much better, but it appears they clearly do not listen to consumer who don't even want an unproven format.

I think the 360 costs the same as in the US but in euros (which means it's more pricey). The same with iPods. But 425pounds is around 650 euro. Anything over 500 euro and the the PS3 can kiss the europe market goodbye

The funny thing is, at the end of the day, people will pay it. There will always be the fanbase of die-hard PS fans who will fork over their only begotten child for owning one of these things. No matter how ridiculous the price seems, there is always someone willing to buy, and usually, a lot of someones. *shrugs* As long as there are people who are willing to get shafted for their gaming addictions the prices will be high.

Don't get me wrong, I bought a x360 and love it, but I wasn't going to, and then I heard the release price in Aus and I was like... fook that! $999AUD for one here when it finally comes out. Not like I'm paying that crap. Went out and bought a 360, still steep, but definitely the better value for a "gaming console". I think sony lost the plot when they decided that it needed to be a complete entertainment unit, that's what pushed the price up.

Just my 2c.

It's still $80 more than what the US users get it for. :\

as said in irc, its the same with the xbox but as its not the microsoft bashing year, we all say sony suck and rip people off but not microsoft

Let's face it. Even with more studio's backed behind Blu-ray, Blu-ray wouldn't have gotten anywhere without the PS3.

as said in irc, its the same with the xbox but as its not the microsoft bashing year, we all say sony suck and rip people off but not microsoft

I suppose it all comes down to the price point which the consoles are sold at. ?200-?300 is reasonable for what you getting, while ?350 maybe pushing it, then you have ?425...

I suppose it all comes down to the price point which the consoles are sold at. ?200-?300 is reasonable for what you getting, while ?350 maybe pushing it, then you have ?425...

true but the ps3 still costs a damn sight less than any blu-ray player will for some time, the most people complain at is the price difference which they totally ignore the fact its the same with the xbox360 and probably the wii

true but the ps3 still costs a damn sight less than any blu-ray player will for some time, the most people complain at is the price difference which they totally ignore the fact its the same with the xbox360 and probably the wii

I'm perfectly aware of this, but Blu-ray isn't worth it, especially for European adoption since there is a very slow HDTV growth.

They should have thought about that when bundling the Blu-Ray drive then, because the PS3 could have actually been a profit from day one and driven down the actual cost to buy one thus making it more competitive against their rivals and selling much better, but it appears they clearly do not listen to consumer who don't even want an unproven format.

Except the Xbox 360, which doesn't include a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player, also sells at a loss.

This is how it always works - they sell the hardware at a loss but make it back in software and accessory sales.

The big difference this time is that Nintendo is not selling the Wii at a loss, but that's because it's using older hardware, compared to Microsoft and Sony who are using brand new hardware built from scratch.

It's pretty obvious that without the Blu-ray drive, therefore at a much cheaper price, the PS3 would sell far more. It's so obvious infact, that I can't fathom why Sony would make such a choice to include it. It makes no sense. The PS3 would have kicked the 360's ass all over the place if it wasn't for the stupidly high price (not because it's a better console or anything, but that's for another arguement :shifty:).

Except the Xbox 360, which doesn't include a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player, also sells at a loss.

This is how it always works - they sell the hardware at a loss but make it back in software and accessory sales.

The big difference this time is that Nintendo is not selling the Wii at a loss, but that's because it's using older hardware, compared to Microsoft and Sony who are using brand new hardware built from scratch.

Have you seen the reports suggesting that MS is now making a profit on their console within a year of releasing it, so now we could be hit with a price cut anytime which could damage the PS3 even more as they cannot do this. It will take Sony years to make any kind of money back oh their system, and what if Blu-Ray fails? Do they tell the consumer they made a mistake by bundling it in?

It will take Sony years to make any kind of money back oh their system, and what if Blu-Ray fails? Do they tell the consumer they made a mistake by bundling it in?

No, they just release PS4 :laugh:

yeah we get shafted a lot here. usually the prices are converted 1:1 which is annoying. anyway, the ps3 seems cheaper than before. i'll probably get one, but wait for the price to go down just slightly.

I don't have either console, but according to isuppli the xb360 is turning $75 profit per unit. While Sony... well look for yourself

http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919

yeah XBOX360 has been turing a profit per machine for months now... so is the Wii... PS3 though is at a big loss per console sold...

I hope MS do a price cut before the PS3 launches in Europe so that will annoy Sony and people will want a XBOX360 instead of the overpriced PS3.

I hope MS do a price cut before the PS3 launches in Europe so that will annoy Sony and people will want a XBOX360 instead of the overpriced PS3.

They probably will. What would be better if Sony announced a slightly higher figure, then Microsoft could unleash a bomb shell which could make the European launch a nightmare for Sony.

They probably will. What would be better if Sony announced a slightly higher figure, then Microsoft could unleash a bomb shell which could make the European launch a nightmare for Sony.

They themselves have made the whole launch in gerenal a nightmare and to be honest they should be punished for over hyping and over promising on basically what they can't deliver or strecthing the truth. I would like nothing better that the XBOX360 to drop in price just before the PS3 launches in Europe and that will damage Sony alot and they derserve it for messing people who actually wanted to buy the PS3. Overhyped (from Sony themselves) and overpriced...period.

?425 is a high launch price but as others have correctly pointed out not that high considering what you get. The talk of releasing it with a DVD instead to reduce the price is frankly rediculous. I still belive the xbox 360's biggest mistake was making the HD DVD an optional add-on. How can game developers create a game designed for HD DVD when only a fraction of the 360 user base will be able to use it? People can claim whatever they like about blu-ray but worst possible case scenario for Sony is that they end up with a proprietary disc format that can hold loads of data. Remember, the current consoles are going to be around until beyond 2010 and the price of blu-ray will have dropped quite significatly well before then.

Wow...never thought I would be standing up for Sony but the sheer amount of ignorance when it comes to bashing them is completely unfounded. For the record I don't own a 360, nor do I plan to buy a PS3. Rather stick to PC gaming any day.

3 pages, so, i don't know if it's already been commented on, but this is a bad move for Sony as far as i'm concerned.

the price is something stupid, really. Who's going to be willing to fork out that cash, other than 1) people who have money to burn and 2) people who wake up, go on their games console, have food delivered to them, go to sleep for an hour, wake up and back onto their games console?

The 360 has already been out a while now so i think Sony should've dropped the price. More people will be inclined to buy the PS3 so they could actually end up making more than what they will now. Who knows, maybe, maybe not.

I bought my PS1 after it'd come down in price

I bought the PS2 after it had dropped considerably

& IF, i am to buy either the 360 or PS3, i will be doing it once it drops to or below the ?200 mark. As i don't have as much time as i did, i would probably wait for it to drop below the ?200.

I know i'm not the only one like this, i know there's many many people like me, so Sony are missing out on these people.

?425 is a high launch price but as others have correctly pointed out not that high considering what you get. The talk of releasing it with a DVD instead to reduce the price is frankly rediculous. I still belive the xbox 360's biggest mistake was making the HD DVD an optional add-on. How can game developers create a game designed for HD DVD when only a fraction of the 360 user base will be able to use it? People can claim whatever they like about blu-ray but worst possible case scenario for Sony is that they end up with a proprietary disc format that can hold loads of data. Remember, the current consoles are going to be around until beyond 2010 and the price of blu-ray will have dropped quite significatly well before then.

Wow...never thought I would be standing up for Sony but the sheer amount of ignorance when it comes to bashing them is completely unfounded. For the record I don't own a 360, nor do I plan to buy a PS3. Rather stick to PC gaming any day.

No The HD-DVD addon will not be used for games, just movies so you are not forced to have the format if you don't want it.

I can't fathom why Sony would make such a choice to include it. It makes no sense.

Sony aren't just trying to sell consoles, they're trying their best to win a format war. They're betting everything on Blu-ray.

so we get it 4 months later than japan and america and have to pay over ?100 more for it? thanks sony... i see you really care about the UK market... and i can't honestly say i would use blu-ray for anything soon... i can't even think of where to buy blu-ray movies here anyway.