PS3 set to cost

No The HD-DVD addon will not be used for games, just movies so you are not forced to have the format if you don't want it.

What, you're saying that's a positive? Microsoft limit their developers to ~9gb per game for the next 3-4 years - that is rediculous, Dark Messiah for the PC is ~7.5gb. The space restrictions will dramatically impact the quality of the games they can produce. If this is true then in three years time people will be using their 360s as paper weights.

It seems foolish to me not to have stuck to HD-DVD from the start, and if they had concerns over the price/state of the technology they should've put launch back.

As someone else who sounded like they had a grain of sense above said "For the record I don't own a 360, nor do I plan to buy a PS3. Rather stick to PC gaming any day.".

Edit: Back on topic - ?425 is a fair price, Sony are still making a loss! What do you want them to do? It is their decision to include a Blu-ray drive, if you don't want to pay for one then don't buy a PS3.

What, you're saying that's a positive? Microsoft limit their developers to ~9gb per game for the next 3-4 years - that is rediculous, Dark Messiah for the PC is ~7.5gb. The space restrictions will dramatically impact the quality of the games they can produce. If this is true then in three years time people will be using their 360s as paper weights.

It seems foolish to me not to have stuck to HD-DVD from the start, and if they had concerns over the price/state of the technology they should've put launch back.

As someone else who sounded like they had a grain of sense above said "For the record I don't own a 360, nor do I plan to buy a PS3. Rather stick to PC gaming any day.".

Edit: Back on topic - ?425 is a fair price, Sony are still making a loss! What do you want them to do? It is their decision to include a Blu-ray drive, if you don't want to pay for one then don't buy a PS3.

The fact is XBOX360 launched over a year later than PS3 so if you are saying they should of put in a HD-DVD drive from the start that would of been ludicrous and highly expensive I’m sure (Just look at the PS3) but they decided to stick with the current DVD format and they seem pretty confidence that it is enough space to last the lifetime of the console. Will it been enough in reality though? Only time will tell that.

yeah we get shafted a lot here. usually the prices are converted 1:1 which is annoying. anyway, the ps3 seems cheaper than before. i'll probably get one, but wait for the price to go down just slightly.

thanks for bringing this up.

People in the USA are moaning about the price of the PS3, yet it is really the same price as we paid for the PS2 (it was sold for $299 in the USA, but ?299 over here, which is $600, which is what the PS3 costs in the US). I understand differences and from what other people on other forums have said, the average wage in the USA is lower, but thats not the point. We've been paying that price (?300 - $600), for a long time for consoles.

thanks for bringing this up.

People in the USA are moaning about the price of the PS3, yet it is really the same price as we paid for the PS2 (it was sold for $299 in the USA, but ?299 over here, which is $600, which is what the PS3 costs in the US). I understand differences and from what other people on other forums have said, the average wage in the USA is lower, but thats not the point. We've been paying that price (?300 - $600), for a long time for consoles.

That doesn't make any sense. The PS3 is costing more than the PS2.

That doesn't make any sense. The PS3 is costing more than the PS2.

lol - yea, I'm crap at explaining myself lol.

What I'm trying to says is that despite americans moaning that their paying $600 for the PS3, we've been paying the equivlant price (?300) for new consoles for a little while. The 360 was released at around that price, so was the PS2 and PS1 (not sure about the orignal xbox). So it's kind of annoying seeing americans moan about the price of the PS3, cos its what we in the UK have been paying for a while ($600 - around ?300.)

I know there are reasons (VAT, difference in wages etc), but its still slightly annoying.

I didnt get any of that aswell.

Oh btw, is this price actually confirmed? From the other thread, Sony say it's going to cost 599 euro's across all of Europe. But, that equals to ?465 (with VAT)

just wait till the price drops!

say xmas 2007 or something!

also how can you say shipping is the reason for the price difference?

the dam things are made in asia!!!!! its cheaper to ship to EUROPE than US

me thinks its germany, those guys just took the EU office......power's gone to their heads

silly germans!:(

lol - yea, I'm crap at explaining myself lol.

What I'm trying to says is that despite americans moaning that their paying $600 for the PS3, we've been paying the equivlant price (?300) for new consoles for a little while. The 360 was released at around that price, so was the PS2 and PS1 (not sure about the orignal xbox). So it's kind of annoying seeing americans moan about the price of the PS3, cos its what we in the UK have been paying for a while ($600 - around ?300.)

I know there are reasons (VAT, difference in wages etc), but its still slightly annoying.

Yeah, but it's not costing us ?300 is it? We are only getting the 60GB version, and that equals to at least ?425, but with my VAT working out and what Sony said about the European prices, it actually equals to ?:s5. :s

just wait till the price drops!

say xmas 2007 or something!

also how can you say shipping is the reason for the price difference?

the dam things are made in asia!!!!! its cheaper to ship to EUROPE than US

me thinks its germany, those guys just took the EU office......power's gone to their heads

silly germans:(33;:(

We may more because of currency inflation and tax.

He didn't say that we're paying ?300, he said that's the US price. So, in the US, they're getting a PS3 for the same price we had to pay for a PS2 or XB360 on launch.

Well, I get what he means anyway...

3 pages, so, i don't know if it's already been commented on, but this is a bad move for Sony as far as i'm concerned.

the price is something stupid, really. Who's going to be willing to fork out that cash, other than 1) people who have money to burn and 2) people who wake up, go on their games console, have food delivered to them, go to sleep for an hour, wake up and back onto their games console?

The 360 has already been out a while now so i think Sony should've dropped the price. More people will be inclined to buy the PS3 so they could actually end up making more than what they will now. Who knows, maybe, maybe not.

I bought my PS1 after it'd come down in price

I bought the PS2 after it had dropped considerably

& IF, i am to buy either the 360 or PS3, i will be doing it once it drops to or below the ?200 mark. As i don't have as much time as i did, i would probably wait for it to drop below the ?200.

I know i'm not the only one like this, i know there's many many people like me, so Sony are missing out on these people.

Sony wont be missing out as people like yourself purchase the console later on anyway!

Remember the only thing that allows price drops is reduced costs to make, ect. So even if you buy the PS3 for ?200 Sony will be profiting (hopefully by this ti:p :p)

am i the only person on this forum who thinks of money as "easy come, easy go"

i mean, if you want a ps3 you work a bit of extra overtime to get one, clearly if you think its not worth the bother then just wait and stop with all the "OMFGZ 4250000000000000!!11 dats teh bigust rip off eva!"

i mean its always been this way, we pay more over here in the uk get used to it because its never gonna change.

am i the only person on this forum who thinks of money as "easy come, easy go"

i mean, if you want a ps3 you work a bit of extra overtime to get one, clearly if you think its not worth the bother then just wait and stop with all the "OMFGZ 4250000000000000!!11 dats teh bigust rip off eva!"

i mean its always been this way, we pay more over here in the uk get used to it because its never gonna change.

Yeah kinda true. ?425 is affordable with a little extra saving for a few months for most people.

People buy Apple produtcs and they cost a lot higher than the average PC (and the PC is usually of a higher spec). If its what you want to buy, then go for it!

You'll find a fair % of those complaining about the price never had an intention of buying anyway :whistle::

Yeah, but it's not costing us ?300 is it? We are only getting the 60GB version, and that equals to at least ?425, but with my VAT working out and what Sony said about the European prices, it actually equals to ?46:s :s

Urghh sheeesh don't try to argue something you don't understand.

The UK does not use the Euro and it has a different rate of VAT to other European countries - you seem rather clueless for someone that actually lives in the country!

The PS3's price is separate and independent to the rest of Europe. You can't just convert from Euros to ? and then add on VAT.

And anyway, by your working out we're getting it cheaper, so be ha:Dy :D

He didn't say that we're paying ?300, he said that's the US price. So, in the US, they're getting a PS3 for the same price we had to pay for a PS2 or XB360 on launch.

Well, I get what he means anyway...

yep thats what I mean lol

It's thought that the 20GB PlayStation 3 will not be made available in the UK, at least during the initial launch period.

Simply because no one would buy the 60GB! :p

Urghh sheeesh don't try to argue something you don't understand.

The UK does not use the Euro and it has a different rate of VAT to other European countries - you seem rather clueless for someone that actually lives in the country!

The PS3's price is separate and independent to the rest of Europe. You can't just convert from Euros to ? and then add on VAT.

And anyway, by your working out we're getting it cheaper, so be happy:DD

Sony confirms higher price point for PS3 in Ireland

Ellie Gibson 14:51 17/01/2007

But EUR 599 figure still correct for rest of Europe

Sony has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will retail for EUR 629.99 in Ireland - but said the price is still set at EUR 599 for the rest of Europe.

"Ireland is traditionally more expensive than other territories," the spokesperson explained.

"The VAT rate there is 21 per cent, whereas it can be as low as 16 per cent in other EU countries."

News of a higher EU price point emerged after GI.biz reported that the higher price point had been revealed on the Irish version of the PS3 website.

The SCE spokesperson confirmed that the information is correct, but added, "This doesn't change the previously announced figures of EUR 499 and EUR 599 for the rest of Europe."

Further details of the European launch are expected to be announced within the next two weeks.

Sorry, It just didn't mention the UK, it just said the rest of Europe who are in the EU?:ss

So Ireland, even WITH the higher VAT than the Uk, its still cheaper...EUR 629.99 works out at ?413.60. ?12 cheaper than in the Uk, yet they're all the same region? So whats stopping someone from Northern Ireland going over the border, gets to save himself a few quid. thats if, they're prepared to actually buy one anyway.

Hell if i really wanted one, or know someone that does, i'd get them to go France, pick it up for ?395ish, i can see alot of people figuring this out and doing the same, seeing as ferries and flights are so cheap, the price difference would actually justify going into main Europe to get their hands on one.

So Ireland, even WITH the higher VAT than the Uk, its still cheaper...EUR 629.99 works out at ?413.60. ?12 cheaper than in the Uk, yet they're all the same region? So whats stopping someone from Northern Ireland going over the border, gets to save himself a few quid. thats if, they're prepared to actually buy one anyway.

Hell if i really wanted one, or know someone that does, i'd get them to go France, pick it up for ?395ish, i can see alot of people figuring this out and doing the same, seeing as ferries and flights are so cheap, the price difference would actually justify going into main Europe to get their hands on one.

I'm sure the price of a returned ticket will make up for the difference.

Not if you luckily get one of those "France for a Pound" offers that you sometimes see in the UK Newspapers. Rofl.