Apple And The Mac Faithful.....

I don't know where you live, but they do make specific claims about competitors cars in the ads I see. You say that Motortrend makes the claim about "best". Well, here Apple themselves do it, using ancient info. Apple will not include OS9 anymore (or something along these lines) because it's not stable. Should I compare a Mac with OS9 (most Macs users have not switched to OS X yet) to the fastest, loaded PC running WinXP? Lets compare apples to apples (no pun intended).

actually, the reason apple has declared os9 dead is because its old and they want everyone to use new technology.

Most users have indeed switched from OS9 and if you want to compare a mac with os9 on it to a winxp machine, go ahead. If anything the fact os9 is faster than osx would would give for a better speed comparison

If OS 9 is old, then Windows 98 is old, also. Again, compare like generations to draw comparisons, not skewed "compare the old to the new".

Just over half of previous Mac owners have switched to OS X, according to a Macworld poll.

Still don't get it? Find me a car commercial where the manufacturer directly compares their car to another's, and also says theirs is better.

But promise me you won't go into marketing. You'd never make it.

Why would apple try to lure winxp customers? They have a newer OS, and chances are a newer computer. Now would you say that is a smart marketing move to go after those people?

Or, would it be smarter to go after people useing windows 98? Who probably haven't updated their computer in YEARS, and might be looking for a better alternative than the windows 98 crap?

Now you tell me which is the smarter marketing move.

Well, I thought that this could be a normal debate of opinion, but apparently you have to make this personal. I'll make you a deal: I won't go into marketing, and you don't ever try logic. You'd never make it.

Whats more logical, you spending money to convert people that have spent too much money to convert. Or spending money to convert people who haven't spent any and are looking to convert.

It's a simple principle. In marketing, you don't advertise to people who won't buy your product. You advertise to people who will. What kind of ads do you see during sports events. Truck commercials, Nike and Reebok commercials. Your basic guy stuff. What kind of commercials do you see when you're watching oprah or soap operas. Baby food and other products, ie feminine products.

Comparing OS X to winxp would be the stupidest thing in the world. These windows users have just spent money on a new computer/os. WHY would they buy again?

There's no need to get personal here. I mean this is 1+1=2 type of stuff here. Easy to understand.

I don't know where you live, but they do make specific claims about competitors cars in the ads I see. You say that Motortrend makes the claim about "best". Well, here Apple themselves do it, using ancient info. Apple will not include OS9 anymore (or something along these lines) because it's not stable. Should I compare a Mac with OS9 (most Macs users have not switched to OS X yet) to the fastest, loaded PC running WinXP? Lets compare apples to apples (no pun intended).

actually, the reason apple has declared os9 dead is because its old and they want everyone to use new technology.

Most users have indeed switched from OS9 and if you want to compare a mac with os9 on it to a winxp machine, go ahead. If anything the fact os9 is faster than osx would would give for a better speed comparison

If OS 9 is old, then Windows 98 is old, also. Again, compare like generations to draw comparisons, not skewed "compare the old to the new".

Just over half of previous Mac owners have switched to OS X, according to a Macworld poll.

Still don't get it? Find me a car commercial where the manufacturer directly compares their car to another's, and also says theirs is better.

But promise me you won't go into marketing. You'd never make it.

Why would apple try to lure winxp customers? They have a newer OS, and chances are a newer computer. Now would you say that is a smart marketing move to go after those people?

Or, would it be smarter to go after people useing windows 98? Who probably haven't updated their computer in YEARS, and might be looking for a better alternative than the windows 98 crap?

Now you tell me which is the smarter marketing move.

no offense, but u need to think! Ever see the kia commercials, "her kia has road side assistance... trish's honda crv has no blah blah."

Then there was the one where the SUVs were racing, the luxury cars (beamers, mercedes) were afraid to get dirty, and the rest were distracted by the money saved. How about YOU don't go into marketing b/c u wouldn't make it at all (except maybe at apple, but hey, a uneducated man could make it at apple). You say people might be using Windows 98 and want a new computer b/c theirs is old? Well ok, why shouldn't they be able to see how MAC OS X goes up against XP so they can decide what to upgrade too. I mean, of course it is better than what they have, I think if they wanna buy a new PC they already know that...

don't argue, just stop

Edited by JK1150

I didn't say car makers NEVER compare, I said RARELY. Which is true.

So, you think Apple should make commercials stating the pluses and negatives to Mac OSX and windows xp. So each consumer gets the fair share of each side. Riiiight. You think Apple should give m$ free advertising on their product. It's not Apple's job to advertise winxp!! Where would you get that idea? So what you want is companies to market their products AND their competitors products, give the best and worst of both sides, so you can decide? LOL!!! Oh man...i need to catch my breath here....

Apple is taking the best route and marketing THEIR product to those that are looking to upgrade their crappy pc. It would be a waste of money to market to winxp users.

Are you even reading what has been posted?

So, you think Apple should make commercials stating the pluses and negatives to Mac OSX and windows xp. So each consumer gets the fair share of each side. Riiiight. You think Apple should give m$ free advertising on their product. It's not Apple's job to advertise winxp!! Where would you get that idea? So what you want is companies to market their products AND their competitors products, give the best and worst of both sides, so you can decide? LOL!!! Oh man...i need to catch my breath here....

Apple is taking the best route and marketing THEIR product to those that are looking to upgrade their crappy pc. It would be a waste of money to market to winxp users.

Are you dumb? you are probably a mac fan, and I was saying that if Mac OS X is so stable and great, then why not just compare it to what microsoft has to offer instead of a product more than 5 years old?

Also, have u even read what I posted? I said: if ppl are ALREADY upgrading their PCs and looking for a new one, they know theirs is old, and don't need to be told that a modern one is better, WHY ELSE WOULD THEY BE LOOKING FOR A NEW PC?! They should be trying to steal ppl who are gonna go out and buy a dell or something with XP not the people looking to go buy a comp with windows 98!

I guess Mac OSX just sucks compared to XP (is what you are telling me) and that in order to win people over Apple has to compare to a 5 year old OS

I didn't say car makers NEVER compare, I said RARELY.  Which is true.

So, you think Apple should make commercials stating the pluses and negatives to Mac OSX and windows xp.  So each consumer gets the fair share of each side.  Riiiight.  You think Apple should give m$ free advertising on their product.  It's not Apple's job to advertise winxp!!  Where would you get that idea?  So what you want is companies to market their products AND their competitors products, give the best and worst of both sides, so you can decide?  LOL!!!  Oh man...i need to catch my breath here....  

Apple is taking the best route and marketing THEIR product to those that are looking to upgrade their crappy pc.  It would be a waste of money to market to winxp users.

No one said either company should tout the other. Just compare current generations. Don't you think it would be stupid for Microsoft to compare their Xbox to a PSOne or a SNES instead of the PS2 or Gamecube?

"My SNES only had 2 controllers, blocky graphics, and sometimes the game went, like, boiiiiiiing! I was, like, dead. Then I tried an Xbox. Wow. Realistic graphics. Much better than the Gamboy I had. My name is Jon-Boy and I switched to the Xbox."

@superfula: You did not say rarely, you said find one.

I didn't say car makers NEVER compare, I said RARELY.  Which is true.

So, you think Apple should make commercials stating the pluses and negatives to Mac OSX and windows xp.  So each consumer gets the fair share of each side.  Riiiight.  You think Apple should give m$ free advertising on their product.  It's not Apple's job to advertise winxp!!  Where would you get that idea?  So what you want is companies to market their products AND their competitors products, give the best and worst of both sides, so you can decide?  LOL!!!  Oh man...i need to catch my breath here....  

Apple is taking the best route and marketing THEIR product to those that are looking to upgrade their crappy pc.  It would be a waste of money to market to winxp users.

Are you dumb? you are probably a mac fan, and I was saying that if Mac OS X is so stable and great, then why not just compare it to what microsoft has to offer instead of a product more than 5 years old?

Also, have u even read what I posted? I said: if ppl are ALREADY upgrading their PCs and looking for a new one, they know theirs is old, and don't need to be told that a modern one is better, WHY ELSE WOULD THEY BE LOOKING FOR A NEW PC?! They should be trying to steal ppl who are gonna go out and buy a dell or something with XP not the people looking to go buy a comp with windows 98!

I guess Mac OSX just sucks compared to XP (is what you are telling me) and that in order to win people over Apple has to compare to a 5 year old OS

i hate ignorant people...

grow the shag up already

macs suck

pc's suck

there.... its ended. Now lets get back to our lives

Alright, enough with the cars. Read any Sports Car Magazine and see how many compare their respective 0-60 times/TCS/4-wheel drive Systems/suspensions and claim, in their ads, that they are the best.

On the other hand, if Apple is trying to get people who are looking to upgrade their "crappy pcs" then they're going about it the wrong way. If someone has a crappy PC, they probably don't spend much money on their computers, and Macs are not the cheap option when upgrading. I would guess their main demographic is upper middle class people with a second generation using computers...people who like new things and know a little on how to use them.

At least, that's all I ever see in the Mac store up here...

I don't wanna start any kind of flame war or anything (take NOTE: azazel-), but I made the following comment in this news thread:

Apple Failings

Here is what I stated:

Let me start first...Mac's are useless for me b/c games play better on PC's and 3D Studio Max is not on the Mac platform. Plus I like being able to tinker around with my PC and being able to upgrade it relatively cheaply...
This is my personal opinion and the statements within it are true. Deny all you want but games are developed for PC's in mind b/c pretty much all people who play computer games use PC's.

The following was a reply from azazel-:

You're an idiot, and your post is nothing more than inflamatory bull****. Do the world a favor and stfu, before you contaminate anyone else with your rampant stupidity. Seriously.

Now was there anything idiotic or false about my statement?

Mac's are there for a reason, it's better designed for graphic design work and those are computer illiterate.

PC's are good for gaming and 3D design (3D Studio Max & Maya). I use 3dsmax alot so I have no use for Mac's 7 I like monkeying around in my case and making unique to my tastes.

I don't wanna start any kind of flame war or anything (take NOTE: azazel-), but I made the following comment in this news thread:

Apple Failings

Here is what I stated:

Let me start first...Mac's are useless for me b/c games play better on PC's and 3D Studio Max is not on the Mac platform. Plus I like being able to tinker around with my PC and being able to upgrade it relatively cheaply...

This is my personal opinion and the statements within it are true. Deny all you want but games are developed for PC's in mind b/c pretty much all people who play computer games use PC's.

The following was a reply from azazel-:

You're an idiot, and your post is nothing more than inflamatory bull****. Do the world a favor and stfu, before you contaminate anyone else with your rampant stupidity. Seriously.
Now was there anything idiotic or false about my statement?

Mac's are there for a reason, it's better designed for graphic design work and those are computer illiterate.

PC's are good for gaming and 3D design (3D Studio Max & Maya). I use 3dsmax alot so I have no use for Mac's 7 I like monkeying around in my case and making unique to my tastes.

Leave the news thread over in the news thread as there is no need to bring it into this thread and quote other peoples opinions.

If you have poop with someone argue about it in a pm instead of subjecting the rest of us to it.

I was just stating an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I should be able to state my opinion anywhere and just hope people can respond in a mature manner without turning to insults.

I was just stating an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I should be able to state my opinion anywhere and just hope people can respond in a mature manner without turning to insults.

Even when it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread at all? So i could just go on over to a thread about icons and start rambling about hardrive problems?

The point is that this thread has gone askew far enough and bringing in an argument bewteen two people in another thread is pretty uneeded.

you're a fat shaging one to talk considering the fact that bringing up what someone else said in another thread with your post that is essentially flamebait isn't exactly the height of maturity

silly_walk, find me an ad that microsoft actually comparing xbox with ps2 or gc. i'd love to see that ad.

in short, no matter how you marketing experts out there think how silly apple ads are, i think it works. i'm switching to mac. :)

you're a fat shaging one to talk considering the fact that bringing up what someone else said in another thread with your post that is essentially flamebait isn't exactly the height of maturity

I'm just trying to prove a point, thats all. stfu

silly_walk, find me an ad that microsoft actually comparing xbox with ps2 or gc. i'd love to see that ad.

in short, no matter how you marketing experts out there think how silly apple ads are, i think it works. i'm switching to mac. :)

I never said they did compare it, I mentioned how silly it would be to compare two systems of different generations. Are people having some problems with the concept of comparisons in this thread?

in short, no matter how you marketing experts out there think how silly apple ads are, i think it works. i'm switching to mac.  :)

I never said they did compare it, I mentioned how silly it would be to compare two systems of different generations. Are people having some problems with the concept of comparisons in this thread?

you are the one that have problems with the concept of marketing. look, marketing.

i repeat, marketing.

When new "next generation" systems come out they typically DO compare themselves to the "old" systems that are out that day:

"The worlds first 128 bit console" (dreamcast) of course 1 year later the PS2 ships and they're comparing themselves with the dreamcast.

"The fist console with built in dvd player, capable of 3x more polygons per second", to which microsoft replied (a year later) "The fist and only console with Dolby 5.1", and then sony will reply in a couple of years with their PS2... History will repeat itself.

As a consumer I would love for MS,

<edit: submitted by mistake: I'm on a PC right now - stupid windows ;) >

....As a consumer I would love for MS, Sony, and Nintendo to come together, fairly discuss their strengths and weaknesses, and then present the findings in a 30 second commercial during "Monster Garage", unfortunatly it will never happen so we're all left sorting through the corprate FUD and then we make our decission based on who's was the most convincing.

Edited by the evn show

The only thing I don't like about Apple is the following.

Their computers are way way overpriced. If they are never going to reduce their prices than I will switch too Mac OS X when I can put it on my PC. All of that crap about having to write drivers for all of this hardware to run on intel machines is true but here's my question. If they kept their same hardware how does this hardware end up getting to 800 dollars for no CD-burner and a 600Mhz PowerPC processor and 128MB of RAM. These components cannot cost that much money. And then on top of that I have to pay 150.00 dollars for a 3 year extended warranty. So what am I paying for here. Am I paying for the software. I wonder. If I have an old iMac G3 that came with Mac OS 9 I can buy Mac OS X that comes bundled with Mac OS 9 for 130.00 dollars. So Mac OS X itself only makes up 100.00 of the total cost of the new computer selling today. So the hardware within this computer cost 670 dollars. There's only one key component that is any different than an intel machines and that's the PowerPC processor. The motherboard, RAM, CD drive and Hard Drives don't cost anything more than on intel machines. The video card is intergrated onto the motherboard just like all of the other ports such as USB, Firewire. Keyboard and Mouse, network card and the modem are also intergrated. The case itself doesn't cost much when you consider the monitor is built in. When other companies can make PCs for 399.99 with all these components without the monitor and more where is the extra cost going. My only logical thinking would be it's going into the PowerPC processor and if it is I will never buy a Mac until they switch to another processor that they can build that same Mac for much cheaper. They don't have to even go to intel. I just want them to go to anyone who can make what they want but a whole lot cheaper. In my opinion I would rather them not go the route of porting over to intel based machines because that would cause many more problems down the road. I would just like thier Macs to stay the same but with one difference "PRICE" and I don't care how they go about getting the price cheaper. Also in my opinion if Apple never makes their own computers cheaper than I would then rather have it on an intel machine. Here's my point below...

1. I would like to run it on an Intel machine at last resort.

2. I would like thier prices for the Macs to go down to where they should actually be.

If I had a choice I would like option number 2 much more than option number 1 but I would take option number 1 if I had no other choice and the no other choice would be that I don't want to spend that kind of money they charge for components I can get much cheaper without volume discounts with the exception of the PowerPC processor.

That's just my 2 cents.

I think the computers are great and the Operating System is also great but for the price you pay it sucks overall. Very overpriced.

I've bought a Panasonic HDTV that was the same in size and specs as a Sony. The sony HDTV was 800 dollars more than the Panasonic HDTV and was actually worse quality than the Panasonic. The Panasonic used much better parts than the Sony. But people would buy the Sony because it's Sony and if it cost 800 dollars more than it must be better because it's Sony. Wrong. People end up buying that Sony HDTV that's worse quality and spending an extra 800 dollars just to have that name Sony on thier TV set. People think because such a name like sony makes that TV much better. But it works for Sony so I can't blame them that they take advantage of people who actually believe this TV is worth the extra 800 dollars. Sony makes big profits off of these people who don't know any better and just assume it's better.

Same thing with Apple. Thier operating system is so great that they get people stupid enough to pay all of this money for that computer. That computer doesn't cost that much to make they are just overcharging you for the software. But Apple is much different than Sony. With Sony you are paying more for crap. With Apple you actually get more out of your money overall. You do get something better for your money. But does that make it right for Apple to overcharge you for this computer because only they make it. It sounds to me like Apple is more of a monopoly than Microsoft. Here's why I think so. If that Sony HDTV is too overpriced I can buy a JVC, Toshiba, Panasonic and so on and so forth. If Dell's computer is too overpriced I can go too Gateway, eMachines. HP/Compaq, Sony, IBM, SysteMax, and Best Buy's VPR Matrix. If Apples computer is too overpriced where can I go to get it cheaper. Nowhere. Apple controls the price that macmall, macconnection and even Amazon.com can offer. Just because they offer a better product doesn't make them all of the suddon not a monopoly. In my opinion Microsoft is less of an monopoly and here's why. Microsoft doesn't make both the software and the hardware. If Microsoft wan't too charge more and Dell, Gateway and so on don't like it they will fight it and win. They have won. If Microsoft could get their way Dell and Gateway PCs would not be even close to 399.99. Now if Apple want's to charge more for their computers who can fight it. Just because you make a great product does not exclude you from being a monopoly. If you can't see these differences between Apple and Microsoft than you are blind. Now I'm not saying that Microsoft isn't a monopoly. I'm saying that both Apple and Microsoft are monopolys and that Apple is the worse of the two. At least if Microsoft raises prices or does something there are other companies who can step in and try to stop Microsoft and most of the time they have at least worked it out where its fare to everyone and the rest it was stopped. What can I do as a company or as a consumer to fight back against apple raising prices or Apple charging for something they always offered for free. Since Apple is the only party involved they make all of the decisions and there's nobody who can contest them.

The only thing I don't like about Apple is the following.

Their computers are way way overpriced. If they are never going to reduce their prices than I will switch too Mac OS X when I can put it on my PC. All of that crap about having to write drivers for all of this hardware to run on intel machines is true but here's my question. If they kept their same hardware how does this hardware end up getting to 800 dollars for no CD-burner and a 600Mhz PowerPC processor and 128MB of RAM. These components cannot cost that much money. And then on top of that I have to pay 150.00 dollars for a 3 year extended warranty. So what am I paying for here. Am I paying for the software. I wonder. If I have an old iMac G3 that came with Mac OS 9 I can buy Mac OS X that comes bundled with Mac OS 9 for 130.00 dollars. So Mac OS X itself only makes up 100.00 of the total cost of the new computer selling today. So the hardware within this computer cost 670 dollars. There's only one key component that is any different than an intel machines and that's the PowerPC processor. The motherboard, RAM, CD drive and Hard Drives don't cost anything more than on intel machines. The video card is intergrated onto the motherboard just like all of the other ports such as USB, Firewire. Keyboard and Mouse, network card and the modem are also intergrated. The case itself doesn't cost much when you consider the monitor is built in. When other companies can make PCs for 399.99 with all these components without the monitor and more where is the extra cost going. My only logical thinking would be it's going into the PowerPC processor and if it is I will never buy a Mac until they switch to another processor that they can build that same Mac for much cheaper. They don't have to even go to intel. I just want them to go to anyone who can make what they want but a whole lot cheaper. In my opinion I would rather them not go the route of porting over to intel based machines because that would cause many more problems down the road. I would just like thier Macs to stay the same but with one difference "PRICE" and I don't care how they go about getting the price cheaper. Also in my opinion if Apple never makes their own computers cheaper than I would then rather have it on an intel machine. Here's my point below...

1. I would like to run it on an Intel machine at last resort.

2. I would like thier prices for the Macs to go down to where they should actually be.

If I had a choice I would like option number 2 much more than option number 1 but I would take option number 1 if I had no other choice and the no other choice would be that I don't want to spend that kind of money they charge for components I can get much cheaper without volume discounts with the exception of the PowerPC processor.

That's just my 2 cents.

I think the computers are great and the Operating System is also great but for the price you pay it sucks overall. Very overpriced.

I've bought a Panasonic HDTV that was the same in size and specs as a Sony. The sony HDTV was 800 dollars more than the Panasonic HDTV and was actually worse quality than the Panasonic. The Panasonic used much better parts than the Sony. But people would buy the Sony because it's Sony and if it cost 800 dollars more than it must be better because it's Sony. Wrong. People end up buying that Sony HDTV that's worse quality and spending an extra 800 dollars just to have that name Sony on thier TV set. People think because such a name like sony makes that TV much better. But it works for Sony so I can't blame them that they take advantage of people who actually believe this TV is worth the extra 800 dollars. Sony makes big profits off of these people who don't know any better and just assume it's better.

Same thing with Apple. Thier operating system is so great that they get people stupid enough to pay all of this money for that computer. That computer doesn't cost that much to make they are just overcharging you for the software. But Apple is much different than Sony. With Sony you are paying more for crap. With Apple you actually get more out of your money overall. You do get something better for your money. But does that make it right for Apple to overcharge you for this computer because only they make it. It sounds to me like Apple is more of a monopoly than Microsoft. Here's why I think so. If that Sony HDTV is too overpriced I can buy a JVC, Toshiba, Panasonic and so on and so forth. If Dell's computer is too overpriced I can go too Gateway, eMachines. HP/Compaq, Sony, IBM, SysteMax, and Best Buy's VPR Matrix. If Apples computer is too overpriced where can I go to get it cheaper. Nowhere. Apple controls the price that macmall, macconnection and even Amazon.com can offer. Just because they offer a better product doesn't make them all of the suddon not a monopoly. In my opinion Microsoft is less of an monopoly and here's why. Microsoft doesn't make both the software and the hardware. If Microsoft wan't too charge more and Dell, Gateway and so on don't like it they will fight it and win. They have won. If Microsoft could get their way Dell and Gateway PCs would not be even close to 399.99. Now if Apple want's to charge more for their computers who can fight it. Just because you make a great product does not exclude you from being a monopoly. If you can't see these differences between Apple and Microsoft than you are blind. Now I'm not saying that Microsoft isn't a monopoly. I'm saying that both Apple and Microsoft are monopolys and that Apple is the worse of the two. At least if Microsoft raises prices or does something there are other companies who can step in and try to stop Microsoft and most of the time they have at least worked it out where its fare to everyone and the rest it was stopped. What can I do as a company or as a consumer to fight back against apple raising prices or Apple charging for something they always offered for free. Since Apple is the only party involved they make all of the decisions and there's nobody who can contest them.

uh what? come again?

Where are you managing to find a decent pc for 399 which I am assuming is in dollars. In the time computer add for this week you can get:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

120gb hard drive

256 ram

gf4 w/tv out

16x dvd

48x cd/rw

17in monitor

windows xp

time office

crappy wee printer and scanner

all for ?999 plus VAT.

Yeah that would prolly seem like a great deal except for the fact that they dont use quality parts at all. PC Chips mobo, no-name hard drive, no-name ram, no-name everything and most of them break inside of 1 year so you end up having to take it back and get it repaired.

Dell on the other hand have a special going:

DellTM DimensionTM 8250 Pentium 4? 2.6GHz + 256MB DDR RAM + 15" Flat Panel Monitor + 120GB Turbo Hard Drive + Double "Online Discount" + FREE Delivery

Intel? Pentium? 4 processor 2.66GHz | 256MB DDR RAM | 120GB Turbo Hard Drive | 15" Flat Panel Monitor | DVD/RW Drive | Lexmark X75 Printer | Microsoft Windows XP Home & Works 6.0 | 56K Modem

all for ?1172 plus VAT.

Now you know that Dell sells things at a loss and that combined with the fact that they are bringing down the price even more to get people to buy for the christmas holidays adds up to quite the bargain for the consumer.

Apple on the other hand sells at a profit like most companies. There's nothing wrong with that. Let's use Gateway as an example. They underpriced for years and it's finally caught up with them. They are almost completely non-existant outside of America now while Apple has been around for 20+ years.

You might think that Sony Televisions are just overpriced because they cost more but Sony televisions are made with better components. Hell I've still got an old one that my parents bought way back in 1981 that is in my kids room so he can watch the DIY channel when he wakes up.

It's fine that you want to complain about Apple overpricing but thats the price that you pay for some stuff. I could sit here and complain about the price of Aston Martin's being too high considering the fact that I could get a crappy car for ?200, or whinge about the price of a Manor House being too high when I can get a flat for ?18k or I could just use a cheaper alternative like you are doing with the pc. Just don't expect Apple to hold their breath for you to switch to OSX.

When buying Apple, you buy high quality. Their software is unmatched in the pc world, and they always have the highest tech support ratings. Course the best os is another great bonus.

When buying pc, you are buying into problems and crap. Problems are a given. I don't know many companies with good tech support. Dell is all i can think of. And this is coming from a Mac/pc user.

I didn't say car makers NEVER compare, I said RARELY. ?Which is true.

So, you think Apple should make commercials stating the pluses and negatives to Mac OSX and windows xp. ?So each consumer gets the fair share of each side. ?Riiiight. ?You think Apple should give m$ free advertising on their product. ?It's not Apple's job to advertise winxp!! ?Where would you get that idea? ?So what you want is companies to market their products AND their competitors products, give the best and worst of both sides, so you can decide? ?LOL!!! ?Oh man...i need to catch my breath here.... ?

Apple is taking the best route and marketing THEIR product to those that are looking to upgrade their crappy pc. ?It would be a waste of money to market to winxp users.

Insulting me. Way to hold a discussion. Dude come on. Read my posts. By your reasoning, obviously you hate macs since you refuse to listen. I think Macs are great computers. I use OSX and XP regularly. I prefer OSX/Mac.

Apple is going after

a)people who can't stand how crappy their computer is

b)people who run windows 98 (or older) CURRENTLY, and are considering buying any kind of new computer

How is this a hard concept to understand? If they market to winxp users, they will never sell machines simply because people who run winxp probably have just bought a new computer, and they WILL NOT buy a new one no matter how good it is. HEll they just plopped down 2 grand on a new machine. They aren't even thinking about getting a new one. All they care about is paying that one off. Now tell me, how exactly would this marketing strategy be good?

threetonesun said:

On the other hand, if Apple is trying to get people who are looking to upgrade their "crappy pcs" then they're going about it the wrong way. If someone has a crappy PC, they probably don't spend much money on their computers, and Macs are not the cheap option when upgrading. I would guess their main demographic is upper middle class people with a second generation using computers...people who like new things and know a little on how to use them.

If someone has a crappy pc, they are thinking about upgrading. Chances are that crappy pc has left a bad taste in their mouth toward pcs in general. Macs are definately the cheaper long term investment.
silly_walk said:

Are you reading these posts? I said rarely does a car manufacturer compare. Then I said to find one. And the ones you provided were sketchy at best "Well there was this one car, and it did this in the commercial. And the other car didn't do it"

Edited by superfula

uh what? come again?

Where are you managing to find a decent pc for 399 which I am assuming is in dollars. In the time computer add for this week you can get:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

120gb hard drive

256 ram

gf4 w/tv out

16x dvd

48x cd/rw

17in monitor

windows xp

time office

crappy wee printer and scanner

all for ?99 plus VAT.

Yeah that would prolly seem like a great deal except for the fact that they dont use quality parts at all. PC Chips mobo, no-name hard drive, no-name ram, no-name everything and most of them break inside of 1 year so you end up having to take it back and get it repaired.

Dell on the other hand have a special going:

DellTM DimensionTM 8250 Pentium 4? 2.6GHz + 256MB DDR RAM + 15" Flat Panel Monitor + 120GB Turbo Hard Drive + Double "Online Discount" + FREE Delivery

Intel?Pentium?4 processor 2.66GHz | 256MB DDR RAM | 120GB Turbo Hard Drive | 15" Flat Panel Monitor | DVD/RW Drive | Lexmark X75 Printer | Microsoft Windows XP Home & Works 6.0 | 56K Modem

all for ?172 plus VAT.

Now you know that Dell sells things at a loss and that combined with the fact that they are bringing down the price even more to get people to buy for the christmas holidays adds up to quite the bargain for the consumer.

Apple on the other hand sells at a profit like most companies. There's nothing wrong with that. Let's use Gateway as an example. They underpriced for years and it's finally caught up with them. They are almost completely non-existant outside of America now while Apple has been around for 20+ years.

You might think that Sony Televisions are just overpriced because they cost more but Sony televisions are made with better components. Hell I've still got an old one that my parents bought way back in 1981 that is in my kids room so he can watch the DIY channel when he wakes up.

It's fine that you want to complain about Apple overpricing but thats the price that you pay for some stuff. I could sit here and complain about the price of Aston Martin's being too high considering the fact that I could get a crappy car for ?00, or whinge about the price of a Manor House being too high when I can get a flat for ?8k or I could just use a cheaper alternative like you are doing with the pc. Just don't expect Apple to hold their breath for you to switch to OSX.

very very well said. :)

silly_walk said:

Are you reading these posts? I said rarely does a car manufacturer compare. Then I said to find one. And the ones you provided were sketchy at best "Well there was this one car, and it did this in the commercial. And the other car didn't do it"

Correct. On second reading I see that you said they "rarel" (your spelling) do, followed immediately by "car companies do not". Fine, you said rarely. But they do all the time, as the Kia commercials were pointed out to you. And before you say "that's only one", there are more. And at least when they do it, they are still comparing the SAME MODEL YEAR. Are YOU reading what I am posting, or are you proving yet again that Macs cannot be discussed unless you choose to ignore logic and fact.