Remote Desktop

I've used remote desktop and helped someone using remote assistance. It's great. I no longer have to worry if the person needing help is doing the right thing. Recently help a friend restore over 1GB of data that was erased by who knows what through remote assistance. One of the plus sides of WindowsXP. I also use remote desktop to connect to my pc from school to retrieve files or do presentations. Sweet. :rolleyes:

i used it extensively before I sold my XP pc. i still use it when my g/f is having problems in her dorm room. this on an iBook on a wireless connection.

and yes, file transfer is supported. all you have to do is give the remote machine access to your hard drives in the options.

I use it a lot but lack of file transfert (like in pc anywhere).

What do you mean lack of file trasnfer?

If you are using Windows XP, why not just connect to remote drivers and then you can drag and drop in Windows Explorer.

My experience with VNC has been horrible performance, worse than PC Anywhere. RDP is the way to go!

I still use Remote desktop if its from a XP machine to XP... but as for win2000 RDC to a XP machine that just doesn't work that great. I kept getting errors and the only thing i could get to work was 256 color. Its somethign with the client that doesn't support all the features in XP. I tried reinstalling 2000 and it still did it. So i simply switched over to VNC, tightVNC to be exact. Has a nice web connection applet for those times you don't have time to get the viewer.exe.

But i'd say get VNC. its all around and runs on universal plateforms, easy to setup too.

It works great...I admin my server with RDP from my XP machine since it is a headless server with no monitor or keyboard.

Intelligen: Microsoft released a new version of remote desktop connection that is compatible with Windows 2000. It works exactly the same as the XP version. Just go to microsoft.com and search for "remote desktop client" and you'll find it.