Does 96kbps sound the same as 320kbps to you?

I notice a huge difference between all of the bit rates, I mostly use 192 because it's a bit rate that I find the quality is pretty decent yet I can still store a lot of songs on my W810i

Hell no! even on my cheapo ebay mp3 player (not my only player) I can distinctly hear differences.

I usually use 192 and listening at 96 is horrible. When i hum along with it the song is all out of time compared

to the normal version (CD) but only slightly and belive me this really messes with your head like you cant

put your finger on it :wacko:

96kbps ogg with 20khz low pass filter sounds as good as 320kbps mp3.

Trouble is most devices only support mp3 and wma and i dont want to have to transcode my whole media libary!!

Note:i have no problem with ogg- great format but crappy support :cry:

I don't encode lower than 128Kbs.

There a huge change between 96 and 320...

But personally, I prefer getting 192k since I don't want to spends higher than 100MB per CDs.

There is definately a difference but if you are playing on normal speaker you won't notice, however on headphones(reasonably good) or if you have a good sub you will notice a huge difference as lots of the bass will have disappeared.

Same here

and here. Although with WMA (which is what most of my music is in), Its ok at 64kbps. I can still tell the difference, but its no where near as much IMO. Also with WMA, at 96Kbps, the difference to anything above is hardly anything for me. That may be due to the fact I use the onboard sound on my PC, don't buy expensive headphones (cos I break them all the time lol), and simply because my ears are crap lol

With one word,yes.

I have recoded 20+ mp3s to VBR ~96kbps in high quality and i didnt notice any different.Even it was 32khz[at least,winamp says so]

Also,mp3's quality depends on many things

a)if it contains "hardcore" sounds

b)what bitrate is encoded

c)how many khz

d)and what quality was encoded with.