Report: Apple's iPhone runs Mac OS X Leopard

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 21,107 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 22:46

Apple's new iPhone, which isn't due to begin shipping until June, runs a version of the company's Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" operating system slated to ship around the same time, a published report said Thursday.

Writing for the Chicago Sun-Times, renowned Mac columnist Andy Ihnatko said he recently had the opportunity to spend 45 minutes with the iPhone, which features the "most beautiful freakin' display" he's ever seen on a cellphone of PDA "in range of color and level of detail."

"Everything I've learned (both in official briefings and 'you and I never spoke, all right?' sort of discussions) says that it truly does run Leopard, the upcoming 10.5 OS that will be released for the Macintosh late in the spring," he added.

Ihnatko went on to say that the spiffy user interface animations seen during Apple chief executive Steve Jobs' introduction of the device and subsequent demonstration all "come courtesy of Leopard's Core Animation suite."

Contrary to other first hand accounts, the columnist claims that the device's virtual keyboard "is a huge improvement over the mechanical thumbpads" found on the Treo and any other smart phones.

"The buttons are significantly larger, you don't have to hit them dead-center, you lightly tap them instead of punching them down, and the software is smart enough to know that you meant to type 'Tuesday' instead of 'Tudsday,'"he wrote.

"After 30 seconds," he continued "I was already typing faster with the iPhone than I ever have with any other phone."

Ihnatko's claims raise the possibility some of user interface attributes present on the iPhone could make their way into the version of Leopard that will ship for Apple's Mac line of personal computers.

Apple has maintained that Leopard is on track to ship later this spring.

News Source: AppleInsider

#2 Punio4

Punio4

Neowinian

• 684 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 22:50

That's a load of bull. I really think it can't run an os which needs a 1GHZ proc, 512 mb ram, and 4Gb of disk space to run properly -_-
Maybe a reeeealy dumbed-down version of it, but that't the same as saying that the motorola linux phone is running on fedora, or ubuntu :/

#3 XPS

XPS

Neowinian Senior

• 5,438 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 January 2007 - 22:50

I don't see how as the BSD OSX is made on supposedly doesn't have a distro that works for the cpu in the iPhone.

#4 Lasker

Lasker

Neowinian Senior

• 5,335 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 22:52

insteresting read, the iPhone is looking good in all sides!!! ;)

#5 OP Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 21,107 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 22:55

That's a load of bull. I really think it can't run an os which needs a 1GHZ proc, 512 mb ram, and 4Gb of disk space to run properly -_-
Maybe a reeeealy dumbed-down version of it, but that't the same as saying that the motorola linux phone is running on fedora, or ubuntu :/

He doesn't claim it is a full version of OS X, he just states that it's Leopard. What's so hard to believe? Smartphones run Windows, a dumbed down version of Windows, but it is still Windows nevertheless.

#6 NienorGT

NienorGT

Nee-Heh-Nor GeeTee

• 12,553 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 23:04

Smartphones runs Windows Mobile... not Windows XP or Vista...
Anyway... what give that it run Leopard? Does it have all new feature as Leopard?

#7 amrinders87

amrinders87

Neowinian Senior

• 3,093 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 23:50

So what? It doesn't have all the features. That is just marketing bs.

#8 strekship

strekship

Neowinian Senior

• 4,541 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 00:32

That would be the same as claiming that Windows Mobile is the same OS as Vista.

#9 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,987 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:06

so you could run linux on this then? now that would make me a lot happyer

#10 Robgig1088

Robgig1088

Neowinian

• 741 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:20

So what? It is *NOT* running Leopard. There is no way they would do that. Its only running the kernel (which has the core audio + video built in) and possibly select libraries. Thats like me saying my iPod runs linux then people assuming i installed ubuntu on it. This really is no surprise.

#11 I am Reid

I am Reid

Neowinian Senior

• 4,409 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:28

Once again apple proves just how revolutionary they are.

These guys are good.

#12 BigBoy

BigBoy

Neowinian

• 876 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:56

So who cares that it runs OS X if they don't let you install any apps on it?

It might as well run the "Bob & Tedd's Excellent OS" instead.

#13 Rob2687

Rob2687

?

• 13,333 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:00

So what? It is *NOT* running Leopard. There is no way they would do that. Its only running the kernel (which has the core audio + video built in) and possibly select libraries. Thats like me saying my iPod runs linux then people assuming i installed ubuntu on it. This really is no surprise.

Indeed...it's really just a marketting thing.

#14 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,847 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:17

Lol as usual apple trying to make a totally worthless feature seem like something from 2010. Firstly, its obvious that the phone just runs the kernel for OSx [rather than the OS itself]. Secondly its a restricted OS and doesnt allow you to install apps that Apple hasn't certified.

So please, stop trying to compare the iphone with windows mobile. Windows mobile is everything iphone is not, aside from sexiness [but then some win mob phones are quite nice too].

#15 lunarworks

lunarworks

Neowinian

• 456 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:23

My mom's old iMac G3, 400 MHz with 182 MB of RAM, ran OSX 10.3 quite well.

I'm sure if they removed all the superfluous stuff from 10.5, like printer support and such, it can be run on the phone no prob. Even graphics can be run fine, since they're at a relatively low resolution on a pocket-sized screen.