Latest PS3 Firmware Hits, Fixes BC Graphical Issues

The latest PlayStation 3 update has hit for North American users, bringing PS3 firmware to version 1.50. The full change log is, sadly, noticeably absent?please make this available with each update, Sony?but the most noticeable change comes in the form of fixed display of PSone and PS2 games not running in progressive scan mode. That's right. Former eye-poisoning backward compatable games are now fixed. I just popped in Okami and Metal Gear Solid 3, with both displaying on par with their original hardware platforms. In fact, they look pretty fantastic. Amen!

Excellent news, meaning one less reason to have my North American PlayStation 2 hooked up to INPUT 2 on my HDTV. Thanks for fixing this, Sony!

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/latest-ps...sues-231003.php

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=521174

ps315bcfix18mc.jpg

ps315bcfix20iq.jpg

Edited by m.redux

nice :D updating now

EDIT: and they finally added Puerto Rico. Now I can enter my real address and buy Lemmings :p

Edited by KoL

Puerto who? :laugh: :rofl: :p

Puerto RICO :p

Sony released the PS3 in North America and they don't include for most of Caribbean and Central America countries an option to enter your address (to be able to buy things). Someone need to tell Sony that those areas are considered part of NA. :rolleyes:

I'm glad they fixed the problem with non progressive scan games. Now FFXII looks great :D

oh man if only i had ps3 to play MGS 3 snake eater on and see its much improved graphics :(

I dont think youll see any difference :s

huh?my god of war on progressive scan on the ps3 already looked awesome,guess i gotta wait to get home and update and see how it looks now :p

Im not sure all games were affected by the 'uglyness'

huh?my god of war on progressive scan on the ps3 already looked awesome,guess i gotta wait to get home and update and see how it looks now :p

God of War, Gran Turismo 4 and other games that support 480p looked fine before the update. The problem was the games that didn't support progressive scan.

Partial changelog

Changelog :

1.32 > 1.50

- User can now set an image/photo (off a mem stick etc) for their user id

- Edy support added (for payment via card reader)

- 'operation sound' added to sound settings

- 'delete backup data' added to backup utilities subsetting

- WEP128, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK(AES) can now utilize AOSS

- Can now remember your login password without using automatic login

- Korean keyboard setting can be used

God of War, Gran Turismo 4 and other games that support 480p looked fine before the update. The problem was the games that didn't support progressive scan.

Shadow of the Colossus is 480P but it looked kinda funny. I can't wait to go home and test out my games. A lot of people say they never play old games, but I play my old games probably as much as I play new games. I love the old classics that I grew up to.

Dont see that happening since it has the PS2 chips inside the PS3, its not emulation.

They are still working on the emulation. Once the system is ready, they will stop manufacturing PS3s with the PS2 chip on board and switch over to full emulation. This should be provided to current PS3 owners with a firmware update.

Good, the only game I'm playing on my PS3 right now is FFXII thanks to the dearth of PS3 games. February and March will fix that but until then this fix makes me happy, makes FFXII a tad better :)

This is for interlaced, not progressive. Progressive scan was fine already.

They are still working on the emulation. Once the system is ready, they will stop manufacturing PS3s with the PS2 chip on board and switch over to full emulation. This should be provided to current PS3 owners with a firmware update.

Fair enough, maybe they will offer upscaling once the emulation update is finished.