Eu, AU, NZ pay $1000 for PS3 60gb

PLAYSTATION fanatics, stand by to be milked: Sony expects you to hand over $1000 for its new console, more than 50 per cent more than Japanese gamers are paying.

If it is any consolation, you'll get 5c change when, from March23, Sony Computer Entertainment's long-awaited 60-gigabyte PlayStation 3 goes on sale in Australia, Europe and New Zealand.

Anyone hoping to save a few dollars on Sony's lower-spec 20Gb model had better hunker down for an even longer wait, because a Sony Computer Entertainment spokesman would only say yesterday that it would start arriving "later this year, depending on demand".

In Japan and the US, where the gaming console went on sale in November, the 60Gb model's recommended price is $US599 or Y59,980. At yesterday's exchange rate, Australians will be paying Y94,095.

Sony's Australian retailers, nervously watching Nintendo Wii consoles marching out the door at $399 since December and the older Microsoft Xbox 360 still selling solidly, will be wondering how families, in particular, respond to a $999.95 console.

Sony spokesman Adrian Christie said that while the PS3 was dearer than its competition, it offered features beyond its ability to play games, including a high-definition Blu-ray DVD.

"For the product offering, assessed by features, I don't think it's a high price," he said

Source: The Austrailian

I have just received an e-mail from the local game store offering pre-orders for a whooping ?599.99.

Which makes the console with today rates at US $774, GB ?390 or ?93600.

This is the reported game line-up for March 23rd: price of games is between ?60 and ?70.

Resistance: Fall of Man?

MotorStorm?

Genji?: Days of the Blade

FORMULA ONE? CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION

Ridge Racer? 7

Call of Duty 3

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Tony Hawks Project 8

Gundam - Target in Sight

Full Auto? 2: Battle Lines

Sonic the Hedgehog?

Virtua Fighter? 5

Virtua Tennis? 3

World Snooker Championship 2007

NBA 2K7

NHL 2K7

Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWll

Enchanted Arms

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent

The Elder Scrolls lV: Oblivion

Def Jam: Icon

Fight Night Round 3

NBA Street 4 Homecourt 2007

Need for Speed Carbon

The Godfather: The Don's Edition

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

F.E.A.R.

It will sell like hot cakes I sure of it. While few may have A$999.95 spare change to go out and buy one outright, with services such as Buyers Edge, GE Credit etc people can get the PS3 on launch and pay it off in (easy to manage) installments (that is how I got my 360 as well). So even though the price is clearly highway robbery, watch the PS3 fly out the door come March 23 ;)

It is only so expensive cuz of the blue ray drive

That may be so, but it doesn't merit a ~50% price increase though (over the Japanese retail price)

i know sony will be rippin me off if i buy one when it is released i guess if you have the money go for it but after a few months it will be like when xbox first ever came out and it dropped that much in price that they sent me an extra controller and a game because i payed so much and it RRP dropped so much after a few months. I guess if you hold out for a little bit than you will be without a ps3 but in the long run you can wear the crap outta ur mates and when ur shiny one arrives you can buy more games.

What you mean these aren't actual prices. Pre orders are $999.95.

Its going to fail, and its going to fail bad, that is an absolutely stupid price to pay for a console. Only the Sony fans will buy it, everyone else will move 1M to the left and buy the smaller, and lighter XBOX360, which packs basically the same graphics, sound, more games, and is nearly half the price.

Its absolutely pathetic. How many BluRay discs have we even got on the shelves here in Aussie? I've seen none. Not even blank.

these aren't actual prices, you never know. and it's not very likely that PS3 will flop, i say this as a total 360 convert-fanatic.

It certainly wont flop but these are the prices. Theyve been selling preorders at this price since about Oct/November, infact probably before when the console was still due to be released in Nov/Dec and got pulled back weeks before launch.

I think we have about 5 or 6 blue ray movies here and I've seen about one Blue ray player at a solitary JB HiFI store. Really its going to be a good $200+ cheaper to buy an Xbox 360 Premium with the HD-DVD drive. I realise that the HD is smaller but that isnt worth the excess amount to me and I store my media on my pc and connect to that to stream it anyway.

Im a pretty neutral console gamer and I dont think the PS3 will flop but its not going to be a cash cow for Sony either. I think its going to be a hard and fast lesson for Sony in that price matters and people still dont care about Blu-Ray. Maybe in the states and EU blu-ray and HD movies are taking off but in Aus its almost non-existant.

Microsoft were smart for releasing the various versions of the 360, as unless you have a large and HD enabled Plasma/LCD you dont want to pay $1000 for features that arent going to be any good to you. Whereas if you dont want the HD aspects you can pick up a 360 with two controllers, remote, and a game of your choice for under $500.

As for this blu-ray business I have to say even next generation TV has had a very slow response in AU and NZ and if people arent concerned about HD for their TV viewing I fail to see how blu-ray has a hope of taking off in this generation console cycle.

30% of the world is the market for entertainment warehouses. It won't fail if developing countries make huge shift. I got my ps3 for $631.99, i say it was worth it.

we were all Sony people once...

and to answer my Oz friends Nashy and Smigit, i was referring to the fact that those prices may have been currency conversions and not MSRP's. but then you're there so you know for sure.

Yeah. $999.95 its selling for.

And Harvey Norman is usually REALLY good on prices on launches, good bundles, but there is next to no saving on their bundles this year. Its far too much to pay.

My main reason for getting the PS3 would be for MGS4 but now with these prices its making it extra-hard to buy, I'm starting to put bits of wages aside to pay for it but even in the end I think I'll look at what it's got and just think it isnt worth the thousand bucks. Im almost tempted to just go buy a 360

Yeah. $999.95 its selling for.

And Harvey Norman is usually REALLY good on prices on launches, good bundles, but there is next to no saving on their bundles this year. Its far too much to pay.

I wouldn't shop at Hardly Normal anyways... eugh!

I got a good laugh at Nashys comments on Harvey Norman value for money, but on consideration when it comes to launches and bundles they are pretty darn good, its everything else computer related where their prices are disproportional to everywhere else.

but wait, AUD isn't 1:1 with USD so actually your prices ar nothing special. it ain't exactly pro bono everywhere else.

None of us once said it was cheap everywhere else. Now we can actually relate to the high price because we know our own value of money.

$1000 is A LOT of money.

but wait, AUD isn't 1:1 with USD so actually your prices ar nothing special. it ain't exactly pro bono everywhere else.

Unfortunatly for us mostly nothing is 1:1. With import taxes ect and the fact we live so damn far away we usually get products later and pay a premium above exchange rates comparred to the US, something I'm sure many UK readers can relate to as well.

We do have among some of the cheapest Microsoft Live points but when you look at what you get for the dollar. haha. Doesnt really make it up for all the computer hardware we get pinned on but but you get that.

i know sony will be rippin me off if i buy one when it is released

I find it strange that you say and yet are willing to let them do it. Enlighten me.

What does the PS3 sell for in the states? Basically with the $1000AUD pricetag it translates into around $760USD, I would be surprised if you guys were paying that much.

But as others have said its all relative, I think however, adding to this is the fact that technology prices in Australia have bottomed out over the last 18months. Think about it guys prices of everything from Plasma, LCDs, computer components, notebooks, pdas, mobiles have all fallen massively, and in comparisson to that massive fall such a large price tag for the PS3 seems quite disproportinate.