Installing Freebsd

Hey guys,

I dug out my old Compaq 333mhz with 96mb ram and burned the FreeBSD 4.7 ISO. Well, I went through the entire installation up until it tried to install the X server...which failed. This is fine by me as I won't be using X, but I thought I should mention that incase the installation itself needed to do something after that.

Now, I will be using this for one purpose and one purpose only...a small dev box that will reside on my home network from which I can develop PHP/mySQL on in a linux server environment.

Unfortunately, I do not have a spare LAN card (though I can get one if the following won't work). I have a USB Belkin Direct Connect device. Do you think FreeBSD would recognize this as a network device and allow me to configure it?

Also, I can't shut this thing down! If I type shutdown now, it'll begin the shutdown but then ask for the location of the shell or hit return for /bin/sh. So if I hit return, it just goes back to the prompt (#). I've found a bad way around this...ctrl+alt+del then turn off the machine before it gets to FreeBSD. Yikes is right. :blush:

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

Not sure about your USB issue but to shutdown, do shutdown -r now which will reboot so just turn off manually at the POST screen.

Thanks, halt worked. I haven't tried shutdown -r but I'll give it a shot.

Well as far as I know FreeBSD didn't recognize the USB device as a network device. I wonder if there's another distro that'll be able to recognize it? I realize that transfer would most likely be pretty slow but I would like to give this Belkin thing some use. :D