PS3 Display Issues on the Mend

PS3 Display Issues on the Mend

Better upscaling in sight?

by Cam Shea, IGN AU

Australia, January 28, 2007 - If you're one of the PS3 owners out there who has been wondering why the PS3 doesn't natively upscale 720p games to 1080i/p (instead leaving developers to implement support for those resolutions or leaving your HDTV to do the work), or worse yet, you're one of the PS3 owners with an old CRT HDTV set which typically only supports 480i/p or 1080i, meaning that if a PS3 game's max res is 720p - guess what - you're playing in 480p, then this article, over at Beyond3D is a must-read.

In a nutshell, Sony have released a new SDK (Software Development Kit) update for PS3 that opens up limited hardware scaling, giving developers an easier path to natively displaying 720p games at 1080i/p. Previously, developers have had a much harder time supporting 1080i/p because the scaling was done entirely through software, which takes up valuable system resources. Been wondering where all the 1080i/p games are? This article breaks it down, offering plenty of hope for future games, and even commenting that with the new SDK there's the potential for developers to patch old 720p games to allow them to display at 1080i/p as well.

Of course, we're still a way away from the dual 1080p displays of two E3s ago... baby steps eh Sony?

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/759/759225p1.html

:)

Already been posted further down. It offers horizontal scaling which can be done with software fairly easy, but to do vertical up scaling it, it needs a hardware scaler.