Sony explains UK PS3 price

Sony explains UK PS3 price

UK managing director tells The Guardian the reasoning behind giving Brits a higher price.

The PlayStation 3 will launch in Europe on March 23--some four months after Japan and the US. The console has been confirmed for the UK at a price point of ?425 (approx. $838), with only the 60GB version available during the initial launch period. In the US the 60GB console retails at $599 (approx. ?304) and in Japan for 59,980 yen (around ?253).

In an interview in today's Guardian newspaper, Sony Computer Entertainment's UK managing director, Ray Maguire, explained that there were a "number of reasons" for the console's higher price.

The high rate of value-added tax (17.5 percent in the UK), exchange rate considerations, Sony having to pay UK staff higher wages, retailers taking a bigger chunk than elsewhere in Europe, and the generally higher cost of living were all cited by Maguire.

He said, "If it were $1.40 to the pound as it was a while ago, then the PS3 would be a bargain compared to the US; if it's anything more than that, the UK price appears to be comparatively expensive. But we're dealing with euros and yen--it's about the relationship between those currencies."

Maguire added, "Of course, I would dearly love to have the PlayStation 3 retail price under ?400, and at such time as we can afford to do so, we will."

By Emma Boyes -- GameSpot

Posted Feb 1, 2007 10:26 am CT

Story from GameSpot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6165112.html

Copyright ?2006 CNET Networks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

rubbish excuse!!!

?120 more than U.S cannot be explained!!!

Thats the UK for you.

See all those nice HDTV's we can buy here? They are hell of a lot cheaper in the USA.

We get shafted on everything :angry::

The high rate of value-added tax (17.5 percent in the UK), exchange rate considerations, Sony having to pay UK staff higher wages, retailers taking a bigger chunk than elsewhere in Europe, and the generally higher cost of living were all cited by Maguire

Turdish. Your telling me that a PS3 costs as much as it does because of some Sony boffins getting higher wages? And higher costs of living? Dont make me laugh. Since when is that a factor? Surely we could protest Vistas prices by the same logic. Paying your staff too much Bill?

$1.40=?1 (yes, about 10 years ago).

And VAT? 599 * 1.175 = $703.83.

Did Sony mention about their new mortgage only 14% APR (because of 'higher cost of living')

$1.40=?1 (yes, about 10 years ago).

And VAT? 599 * 1.175 = $703.83.

Did Sony mention about their new mortgage only 14% APR (because of 'higher cost of living')

Remember, rarely do states have no sales tax. Average sales tax for a state is around 6-7%, so tack on about $50 before comparing. Still, $650 is a lot less than $838, but that's just the cost of doing business in the UK.

The UK gets shafted yet again! TBH I doubt they'll get any business at all in the UK with it at that price, they'd make more money if it was slightly lower than ?400, say ?300 and I'd consider it.

the cost of living is exspensive cause retailers are charging too much for items, meaning we have to borrow more money, pushing more people into debt, im sure the Ps3 wont affect that, but we get shafted over prices so much over here and its causing us to have big debt problems...if they lowered the price, they would probably not lose as much as they think they would cause more people would be able to buy the item!

VAT 17.5% in the UK (it's not an excuse for being more expensive)

VAT was 17.5% here in Holland before the Euro, and after 19%

It's even worse in Belgium were VAT is 21%...

And the PS3 launch price is 599Euro (394.78 GBP) in Holland ($776.49 USD)

this is nothing new, the xbox360 costs more over here, almost any electrical equipment is more expensive over here, its not just sony

But a whole whopping 230 US Dollars more expensive? That's too much if you ask me. :wacko:

But a whole whopping 230 US Dollars more expensive? That's too much if you ask me. :wacko:

thats the problem with percentages :p taking off 17.5% vat, the ps3 was $80 more than the US price and the xbox360 $50, so again the ps3 price is still more in terms of $ but actually less in terms of % so effectively you could say microsoft is screwing people more than sony as they have a higher percentage increase on cost

And don't forget that you still need to buy a game or two (or three or four), another controller, and an adaptor if you don't have the right TV. So tack on another couple hundred monies.

taking off 17.5% vat, the ps3 was $80 more than the US price and the xbox360 $50, so again the ps3 price is still more in terms of $ but actually less in terms of % so effectively you could say microsoft is screwing people more than sony as they have a higher percentage increase on cost

Yes.. of course they are... it's Microsoft who are ripping us off...

:blink:

thats the problem with percentages :p taking off 17.5% vat, the ps3 was $80 more than the US price and the xbox360 $50, so again the ps3 price is still more in terms of $ but actually less in terms of % so effectively you could say microsoft is screwing people more than sony as they have a higher percentage increase on cost

I hate to burst your bubble, but your mathematics is wrong. If you took off 17.5%, then the price difference on the PS3 is 90$. However, you can't just take off 17.5% of the final price in order to get the difference. The actual difference is closer to $140.

all the money sony loose out in Japan and US will be made up in Europe... little twats, i am not buying one untill a considerable price cut, now thats going to be by ?125 at the least. Xbox360 wasnt priced that bad i dont think

I hate to burst your bubble, but your mathematics is wrong. If you took off 17.5%, then the price difference on the PS3 is 90$. However, you can't just take off 17.5% of the final price in order to get the difference. The actual difference is closer to $140.

that wasn't my maths, the $80 + VAT came from someone trying to bash sony actually :p take the ps3 and xbox prices ($600/$400 respectively), add 17% twice, convert to ? and you get to almost the exact price we pay, so to me sony are doing nothing that microsoft aren't in terms of pricing

Hooboy.. And I thought the PS3 price in Canada was bad (it was recently raised from $659.99 to $699.99).. This is a real shafting.

But at the same time, Microsoft and Nintendo are doing some real shafting themselves in Europe, so this is a problem with all console manufacturers. But I'm no expert on the business and what they need to price their products in order to be profitable (or in the case of the PS3, lowering the loss as much as possible).