Blog Post: How Sony Will Counter the Halo 3 Beta?

How Sony Will Counter the Halo 3 Beta?

Remember this game? We haven't heard much about Guerilla's Killzone 2 since it appeared in video CG form back at E3 ages ago. The studio and Sony Computer Entertainment went dark on the title after the E3 presentation.

Rumors pointed at the game's intended resurgence at their pre-launch Gamers' Day event last year. Ultimately, if the rumors are to be believed, Sony shelved showing Killzone 2 in favor of spotlighting Insomniac's new shooter franchise (and it will be a franchise) Resistance. The same rumors have pointed to Killzone 2 being much further along than previously expected -- with the apex of the rumor arc concluding that the game has been playable online for almost a year.

Microsoft and Bungie's beta program for Halo 3 is all the rage this Spring. It's garnered countless news stories with its multiple points of entry and even landed a cover in EGM back in November (I expect the beta to be similar but with more weapons and polish to the maps covered in that series of stories).

Aside from the obvious connection between Killzone and Halo being first-party developed shooters and the first Killzone being branded with the unfortunate moniker of "Halo-killer," the ties between these games are going to bind even closer this Spring.

Expect a playable Killzone 2 demo to be released (hmm, Phil Harrison is keynoting at GDC...) before gamers are participating in the beta for Halo 3.

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=784616...cUserId=5519593

Oh man I hope this rumor is true! A demo of Killzone 2 would be awesome! :) :D

How Toyota will counter a Hummer test drive? with a Yaris of course! :rolleyes: :devil: :laugh: :rofl: :p

dsc00406ly7.jpg

But everyone knows that the Hummer drivers are insecure ******s, so what are you trying to say?

But everyone knows that the Hummer drivers are insecure ******s, so what are you trying to say?

He is trying to be funny but hes sense of humor still in alpha.

See, there is funny right there ----> (.)

And then there is you ----> (.)

Hummers are quite affordable cars if you had a clue about reality. They are actually cheaper (and get better mileage) than a Jeep Cherokee, for example. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. As JorgeIvan said above, you must still be working on humor because it's kinda lacking.

See, there is funny right there ----> (.)

And then there is you ----> (.)

Hummers are quite affordable cars if you had a clue about reality. They are actually cheaper (and get better mileage) than a Jeep Cherokee, for example. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. As JorgeIvan said above, you must still be working on humor because it's kinda lacking.

Nothing redeeming about Hummers dude, sorry, and I wasn't trying to be funny, I was serious. Thanks for proving my point...

I still don't understand this. Sony doesn't need to counter the H3 beta - neither of the games are cross platform. Anyone who's already a Halo fan is going to get Halo 3 either way, so dragging people over isn't in the question. What's left?

-Spenser

I still don't understand this. Sony doesn't need to counter the H3 beta - neither of the games are cross platform. Anyone who's already a Halo fan is going to get Halo 3 either way, so dragging people over isn't in the question. What's left?

-Spenser

And to be honest... Killzone 2 a Halo 3 killer? Haha. Ok Sony.

He is trying to be funny but hes sense of humor still in alpha.

:laugh:

Rodrigo, Im guessing youve never even tried Killzone :/

Hopefully this demo will be available to us europoeans in march \o/

-Spenser

I believe Sony's thinking is just to diffuse whatever hype there may be around Halo 3. Think of a room where a lot of people (Halo 3 fans) are on one side making a commotion. People will gravitate towards there to see what's going on. People will learn more about the 360 from hearing the information. Now if there are two groups at the same time making a commotion the attention will be divided and some people may learn more about the 360 but some will learn more about the PS3. It's a good marketing move by Sony.

The only thing that will kill Halo 3 is a remake of Halo and Halo 2 for the Xbox 360.

And release them the same day.

On time.

With good multiplayer.

And a ban online retards function. :p

why would they need to do anything to counter a beta in progress that's stupid. the only thing they need to worry about is the price of their system and the games on their system. that only is doing more damage to Sony than anything MS could ever do. second, once they have those matters settled then you can worry about how you will counter Halo 3 FINAL, not beta but the actual final game.

Rodrigo, Im guessing youve never even tried Killzone :/

Right.

Huleboeren, who are you to know which games I've played? Exactly.

Killzone 2 killing Halo 3? :laugh: Now that's comedy.

So the only thing we can do is wait for the demos/betas to come. Although I'm pretty sure there are already shitloads of preorders of Crackdown just to play the Halo 3 beta.

But Ironman273 is pretty much correct, IMO.

After the sad rubbish that Halo 1.5... err, I mean Halo 2 was I don't know how anyone can be 100% sure Halo 3 is going to be a home run. I really enjoyed Halo, but Halo 2 was a cash in at best. I hope Halo 3 is solid but I'd have to take a wait and see, it looks like a winner but so did Halo 2 before it shipped. I feel the same way about MGS4, it looks like it will be perfect, but...

lol @ Killzone fans.

lolololololololololol @ Killzone.

And the people from Microsoft land claim superior intelligence and dominance.. with followers like this? :|

Killzone will not be a "Halo 3 killer" nor shall it ever be made out to be. But I do imagine it will be a game that drives people to purchase the console. I'm anxiously awaiting to see if the multiplayer is everything it should be cracked up to be.. should be fun! The game looks awesome.

And the people from Microsoft land claim superior intelligence and dominance.. with followers like this? :|

oh boy! :rolleyes:

The game looks awesome.

you mean the CGI video? :shifty: :whistle:

oh boy! :rolleyes:

you mean the CGI video? :shifty: :whistle:

Perhaps I meant the gameplay and concept itself.. or even multiplayer spiffs and rants? Who said anything about visuals? Come on.. you've got to do better if you want to disrupt our discussion here. :sleep:

Perhaps I meant the gameplay and concept itself.. or even multiplayer spiffs and rants? Who said anything about visuals? Come on.. you've got to do better if you want to disrupt our discussion here. :sleep:

what differentiates killzone's FPS concept from other FPS games? i got killzone 1, but never really liked the gameplay as much as halo... and don't all PS3 fanboys preach that visuals are everything? or has that stopped now that PS3 games don't look as good as promised...