PS3 "Live" type Service available?

Fixed! :rolleyes: :p

I know, I know, a bit of a hippocrite myself. I was waffling on whether or not to stick some examples there, but I decided that if he decided to actually give some (if he can), I would fire back :)

-Spenser

No mic comes with the ps3, however if you have a mic that is bluetooth you can use it (eg, bluetooth headset u use with ur cellphone)

Which is pretty cool in my opinion. I've already got a bluetooth headset for my phone (as you menioned) so it's nice not having to go out and buy extra accesories.

Care to give some examples or are you just riding the bandwagon that is the Microsoft haters?

-Spenser

Without even trying to recall all of them, the Fall Update bricking consoles and the way they have currently ignored people who pay for DLC and then lose it when their console goes in for repair and ends up getting replaced. I'm not saying Sony is perfect, but let's not make MS out to be saintly by any stretch. Nintendo might be the only one to walk away unscathed in such a review this generation.

Besides, what do you care, NeoFlux was the one who made that absurd statement.

Without even trying to recall all of them, the Fall Update bricking consoles and the way they have currently ignored people who pay for DLC and then lose it when their console goes in for repair and ends up getting replaced. I'm not saying Sony is perfect, but let's not make MS out to be saintly by any stretch. Nintendo might be the only one to walk away unscathed in such a review this generation.

It might be "absud" but it isn't far from the truth is it? The Fall update only effected the newer consoles which were released at the time, Microsoft knew this, did a recall for anyone who had a bricked console and gave them a new one, what's the problem?

If I'm not mistaken, but wasn't the brick due to people ****ing about with the DVD-Drive firmware or something? It's been awhile, someone will need to clarify this.

Does it puzzle you because it's not your way of thinking? Guess so, but you know.. we're all entitled to our preferences. I can understand the expensive comment, but I guess some of us don't mind shelling out the cash for things like this. It's entertainment to me and I love everything it has to offer.. the future is only bright from here and I'm sure there are plenty more offerings to come from the PSN and Sony itself. Some of us don't let the media ramblings or forum/blog babble interfere with our decision. Some of the business practice is questional as of late, but you could nail that label on any other company if you really wanted to. Part of the cost of being a big time corporation is being able to go under the crosshairs every now and again. Entertainment is a very expensive industry and it won't get any cheaper.. so what's not to love about a free network service for video games? :yes:

Your suicidal commitment to a company who cares nothing about you intrigues me. I read "The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins" and it was very interesting to see how people will go as far as they do to defend something even though they have never been appreciated for it. I understand that people have their opinions my question is why is it so close minded? What do you hope for as Sony gets bigger? What will you get out of it? I am not attacking you but just questioning why. Everything has a cause and I am just curious to know. Did you win something from Sony? Perhaps you are working for them. Or is it some partly xenophobic feeling of they are japanese and you love anything that is purely japanese. I'll say it again I am not telling you not to do these things, so please dont give me some ramblings of how I am attacking you. I own all next gen systems and all previous gen systems. So I have really no sway between one or the other if you are going to attack that.

I care because your whole statement is bogus. Microsoft fixed the bricked console problems extremely fast after the update was released. Anyone who sends in their console to get fixed and loses their stuff can download it again. They might have to make a call to MS, but they get it all back.

Please, spew some more wrong info out at me, I'd be glad to knock it down some more.

-Spenser

Your suicidal commitment to a company who cares nothing about you intrigues me. I read "The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins" and it was very interesting to see how people will go as far as they do to defend something even though they have never been appreciated for it. I understand that people have their opinions my question is why is it so close minded? What do you hope for as Sony gets bigger? What will you get out of it? I am not attacking you but just questioning why. Everything has a cause and I am just curious to know. Did you win something from Sony? Perhaps you are working for them. Or is it some partly xenophobic feeling of they are japanese and you love anything that is purely japanese. I'll say it again I am not telling you not to do these things, so please dont give me some ramblings of how I am attacking you. I own all next gen systems and all previous gen systems. So I have really no sway between one or the other if you are going to attack that.

You'll get more ignorance and lies.

I care because your whole statement is bogus. Microsoft fixed the bricked console problems extremely fast after the update was released. Anyone who sends in their console to get fixed and loses their stuff can download it again. They might have to make a call to MS, but they get it all back.

Please, spew some more wrong info out at me, I'd be glad to knock it down some more.

-Spenser

They fixed it after denying it for weeks, nice spin though; no real effort to fix the dead consoles was made until a class action suit was filed. And the DLC issue is still persistent and some people don't get their stuff back. The problem, like most large coporations, is that policies aren't applied evenly and information often takes time to reach the right people. It is far beyond maybe having to make a call to MS due to the way the DRM is tied to both the Live account and the physical hardware.

You'll get more ignorance and lies.

That is a hilarious statement coming from you :sleep:

It is kind of funny watching you guys bend over backwards to bash anything good about Sony, pointless, but funny.

They fixed it after denying it for weeks, nice spin though; no real effort to fix the dead consoles was made until a class action suit was filed. And the DLC issue is still persistent and some people don't get their stuff back. The problem, like most large coporations, is that policies aren't applied evenly and information often takes time to reach the right people. It is far beyond maybe having to make a call to MS due to the way the DRM is tied to both the Live account and the physical hardware.

It is kind of funny watching you guys bend over backwards to bash anything good about Sony, pointless, but funny.

Well you keep tell yourself all that stuff. Whatever makes you sleep well at night.

And there has to be something good in the first place in order to bash something good about Sony.

-Spenser

AFAIK (and I have a ps3) is that when you're signed on to the network, you can message each other back and forth freely.

However, once someone is online in a game, their status turns to "away", but it doesn't show you what game they're playing, nor can you send any type of invite, or message while they are in game and you're still on the XMB.

Sony said they're working on it to include more functionalities (hopefully ala Live).

AFAIK (and I have a ps3) is that when you're signed on to the network, you can message each other back and forth freely.

However, once someone is online in a game, their status turns to "away", but it doesn't show you what game they're playing, nor can you send any type of invite, or message while they are in game and you're still on the XMB.

Sony said they're working on it to include more functionalities (hopefully ala Live).

This feature is said to be included within the March firmware update. We can only hope!

Denying it for weeks? Or had a fix in 12-24 hours.

What content aren't users able to get back? The downloads that do have special conditions have the difference in terms clearly shown.

Yeah, they'll be playing catch up for years (quality, stability, and feature wise) considering it took Live years to mature to what it is today and MS is a software company.

The problem is here that MS will always have that massive head start. Sony will be playing catch up in terms of online services, but MS are gonna try their damned hardest to stay ahead of the game.

That's not to say Sony won't have a great online service or anything, just making a point. I'm sure Sony are gonna do everything they can (well, I would hope they would) to create a Live-esque service.

just to put it straight, yes maybe not yet but mic support with audio chat in games same as PS2 online in games. you can use either Bluetooth or USB mic headset. Other features like in game text or video chat im not sure about but theoretically games should be smiler to ps2 online games.

Edited by Digix

The problem is here that MS will always have that massive head start. Sony will be playing catch up in terms of online services, but MS are gonna try their damned hardest to stay ahead of the game.

That's not to say Sony won't have a great online service or anything, just making a point. I'm sure Sony are gonna do everything they can (well, I would hope they would) to create a Live-esque service.

To catch up to what MS is doing? Yes, but who's to say Sony can't bring something new/different to the table that MS doesn't implement or use. It's very much possible. Obviously MS would be the ones "catching up" then? But more that I think about it.. it's not really a matter of "catching up" but more of mimicking and/or placing certain features within the already existing PSN. Nobody is really making standards on how console networks should be formed or structured.. Sony could go in a complete different direction and still have a highly successful (or more so) by year's end.. or the next.. or who knows? Maybe they've already had something small in the works and are waiting for the European launch to mass release this sort of update in March. Not holding my breath, but you never know. I'm pretty hopeful, if not almost positive they've got something good going in the works. :yes:

There's absolutely no question that Microsoft has set the bar for what an online network should encompass... plus the fact that Microsoft is primarily a software company and Sony being primarily a hardware company adds some justification to the statement that Sony may forever (at least for this gen) be catching up to Microsoft in terms of an online network.

I really wouldn't expect anything too revolutionary this generation in terms of what PSN has to offer; but yes, of course it's not impossible and hopefuly they do come out with something above and beyond what Microsoft has. It all makes for more competition and ultimately better products for us gamers. :D

Edited by magik

quicksilver, a lot of the anger towards Sony comes from their attitude circa launch times. it's like they're doing you a favor by selling you the thing.

look, i stood in line for six hours on Oct 26 2000 for the damn PS2 and it's a great machine still.

no doubt PS3 is a great machine as well, but i don't like people playing the video gaming bouncer role and telling me stories about availability and why i can't get in.

that's in the past, tho, i'm on 360 now and loving it. thought for a while i'd be getting a PS3 as well but it would be a waste at this mo.

so don't take it as an offense when comments on Sony come in, but you need to keep these things in perspective, unless like you're Kutaragi (which you may well be).