Where in the UK Can i pick up a PS3.......

Hello everyone, i',m in the UK and finally have money for a PS3 (Having already bought the Wii and 360). I can wait till the official UK Launch next month as no doubt i'll blow the money on something stupid. Can someone PM me where i can pick up a 60GB :) ???

i'm also quite interested... i saw one on craigslist from canada for ?450. the problem is that import tax is so high for us that even though its $240 cheaper in the US, it costs the same (or more) when you ship it over here as it would if you waited until next month...

my biggest concern is that blu-ray discs have region coding on them, and europe (inc. UK) is in a different zone to america/japan. you could overcome this by watching all your movies in linux and using some sort of region bypass, but that'd be a pain just so you can get the PS3 1 month earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes

has a good map of the regions

sorry to make it sound so bad to get one from america, but it'd probably be safer to hold out until next month... i will be.

I saw a couple on Tottenham court road last week, they had no price tags on them but i'll bet they were priced well above the recommended price on release.

Also as troist stated, DVD and Blue ray discs from the UK will not work on an imported PS3, then you have the region lockout on games. I'm not sure if sony are enforcing region lockout or leaving it up to the publishers to decide if it is used or not.

I would wait for the UK release. Put the money down on a pre-order, it will work out cheaper than getting an imported one and you won't have to worry about region related issues.

I saw a couple on Tottenham court road last week, they had no price tags on them but i'll bet they were priced well above the recommended price on release.

never go to TCR for an imported/unreleased console... they had a 20GB for sale in one of those shops at ?600. i reckon it cost them about ?450 (at the very most) to get that imported so selling at ?600 is a bit unreasonable.

never go to TCR for an imported/unreleased console... they had a 20GB for sale in one of those shops at ?600. i reckon it cost them about ?450 (at the very most) to get that imported so selling at ?600 is a bit unreasonable.

That is actually less than I thought.

I was expecting nearer ?800 for the 20GB and ?1000+ for the 60GB.

Still silly prices th:)gh :)

seen a few in Eldon Sq (Newcastle) a few weeks ago, going to go back to check em out, they had RR7 when i went last time and it looked like pants, personally i thought PSP version was more fun. but what the hell ask around in your area you might have some mad importer there who gets em from japan ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine from eBay 3 months ago (beginning of Dec) off eBay from an Asian seller. Got PS3 60GB, RFOM, RR7, Gengi, Gundam, HDMI Cable + Shipping for ?550 and didnt pay a penny on import charges.

But as for getting one somewhere that isnt eBay it will be hard.

Any reason why you can't pre-order, apart from blowing the money. Surely you have more will power than that? :unsure:

There's loads in several shops on Tottenham Court Road and Edgware road in London, they're very easy to find! Why on earth would you want to buy one though? They're utterly not worth it at this point!

This ebayer has 60GB PS3's for sale so if you want to have a word with him this is his msn account "arefin76@hotmail.com", i was going to get my a MBP from him but i changed my mind, he's a genuine seller from London, but double check things before you proceed.

:cool:

I don't know where in the UK you are, but there is a independent retailer in the Metro Centre (Gateshead) selling US imported systems.

I don't know the specifics I'm afraid.

If I was you, I'd just wait those extra couple of weeks for the launch and get yourself a better deal.

As already said, order it from Play.com and you'll get it on launch day.

You mean like they did with the Wii, put up their pre-order stuff all over their site and managed to get 15,000 pre-orders when their initial allocation was 500? :rolleyes:

yeah i agree you should seriously just wait until launch day now its only a few weeks away! i could understand if u wanted it like months back but now there aint that long to wait and you will be able to play your old PAL ps2 games on it etc..unlike me who went ahead and got a ps3 from HK!

Why is it 'safer'?

Because the warranty on a UK model will be valid in the UK. Considering the new technology in the PS3, and Sony's track record for faulty hardware on early PlayStation hardware revisions, the likelyhood of a faulty system is comparitively high.

UK retaillers are really struggling to sell out their launch allocations; most online stores have been taking guaranteed preorders for a couple of weeks now, and they still haven't sold out. GAME have resorted to reducing the scale of their forced bundles because demand isn't strong enough to force customers to spend more than the already high price tag.

Importing at this point would be very foolish indeed, considering the easy availability of UK preorders with full UK warranties.

I still can't see why anybody would be at all interested in buying a PS3 at this point though.

You mean like they did with the Wii, put up their pre-order stuff all over their site and managed to get 15,000 pre-orders when their initial allocation was 500? :rolleyes:

No, not at all like that. Play took Wii preorders before they knew their launch allocations, and sold many more preorders than it could fill. Play know their PS3 launch allocations, and they're taking orders for guaranteed delivery on launch day, and they haven't yet managed to sell out.

I don't know where in the UK you are, but there is a independent retailer in the Metro Centre (Gateshead) selling US imported systems.

I don't know the specifics I'm afraid.

If I was you, I'd just wait those extra couple of weeks for the launch and get yourself a better deal.

A few weeks ago they were dropping at ?800 each which is just silly considering they would be making about ?500 per console.

If I could find an import store offering them for the base unit price of the UK release models Id have one, unfortunately, my plans for a cheap import have been scuppered, Ill probably not get one now until April / May. On the plus side I do now have a Jap version of Motorstorm going cheap if anyone wants it.

Because the warranty on a UK model will be valid in the UK.
because a friend of mine bought one and it started skipping in games and because he had it imported he lost his warrenty so he's gutted

I know that.

I meant why is it 'safer' to go and buy it in-store on launch day than preordering online...that's what NegaC seemed to be suggesting.

I know that.

I meant why is it 'safer' to go and buy it in-store on launch day than preordering online...that's what NegaC seemed to be suggesting.

You misunderstood what I said, preordering is still just buying it at launch. I meant don't buy an import on eBay or whatever, just wait the few weeks to get the UK PAL version. I didn't mention anything about buying it in-store or not, makes no difference... :blink: