What Is The Best File Sharing Software For Mac?

He's my famous quote from irc:

timdorr: I think the best filesharing utility for the Mac is Virtual PC

I think the only thing that comes close at this point is Aquistion, Caraccho, and Hotline. There's also a Kazaa shadow client called Neo. it's a shadow client because it doesn't actually connect to the network, it just scans known Kazaa hosts for downloads... :)

Most ISPs block binary groups though, right?

That's a good question.

I don't know the answer. I do know that none of the ISP's that I've ever had have had blocked newsfeeds. I've been able to get to pretty much any binary group I can think of.

I can't speak for the other ISP's out there, though.

It takes a while to figure out how to actually get things from newsgroups, and you have to be very patient, but you can get a lot of good stuff.

Over the past 6 months or so:

I've d/l about 20 gigs of mp3's (at 192k) from newsgroups.

I've only been able to (successfully) d/l around a gig from programs like LimeWire/Neo/gIFTBox/aquisition.

I always try the p2p programs when a new one comes out, but it's just a lot easier for me to get things off newsgroups. It's usually faster also.

I'd say the best file sharing app for Mac is Limewire, the only drawback IMO is that it's all java so it tends to be a little slow. I did manage to get my hands on the new upcoming optimized java vm from Apple and I did notice some what of an increase in speed but reorganizing search results is still a bit laggy. Neo is my second pick. If you sit down and download a lot of hosts from the master list and scan a few subnets overnight you'll be able to index a lot of hosts and produce some good results. Finally, if you feel you're the lucky type of person then try out Drumbeat X, it produces a lot of search results but only one in a million actually download. Neither of these are anything close to a kazaa client or other clients for the PC but they don't do that bad of a job. If you try any of these out and have questions feel free to give me a holler!

I always used Carracho as my non-music app. You get in one or two good servers and your set.

But sometimes I used iMesh through VPC. Which was easily better than any other program for mac. Aquasition is good, but not AS good.

Those of you who use Carracho.. Do you have access to private servers, or do you try and find a good one on Tracker-Tracker or such? I can never find any good servers that way, so I've never actually downloaded anything using Carracho :)

(please note I didn't ask for specific servers.. i know the board rules... :D)

Those of you who use Carracho.. Do you have access to private servers, or do you try and find a good one on Tracker-Tracker or such? I can never find any good servers that way, so I've never actually downloaded anything using Carracho :)

(please note I didn't ask for specific servers.. i know the board rules... :D)

Two of the servers I used were public, but you needed a username and pass. The other one was a private one, meaning you couldnt see it using tracker.

All i did was upload a movie or two, or a request at each one, and I got accounts. I dl the movies from imesh through VPC. Getting started with carracho is hard, but once you get an account and dl a couple things, you can upload to other servers and get accounts there.

Soulseek (slsk.org go for the faq to find the versionull need) is pretty good there's a linux client for that which i hear can run on osx. Lotta music files..

Soulseek (slsk.org go for the faq to find the versionull need) is pretty good there's a linux client for that which i hear can run on osx. Lotta music files..

someone's almost done with an OSX client actually...since I have checked in a while, lemme see if it's out...nope, but hopefully, her'll have it done soon :)