Are you suppose to give out tips to pizza hut delivery?

So this guy comes to my door to deliver pizza hut, I give him $20 for change and the pizza was $16 or so. After i got the change, he stands there looking dissappointed and asks, " do I get a tip?: so instead of cussing him back, I ask how much is tip? he says its $2 then I give him tip and he leaves.

Didnt know pizza hut drivers needed tip, I thought it was included in the bill?

There is a fee included, but I don't think it's really supposed to be their full pay. I usually don't tip as much to a place that includes a fee, but I think $2-5 is still appropriate.

Depends on local customs.

You'd never tip a delivery person in the UK, ever. No one I know does. Waitresses, yes, but even that is often included in the bill and not expected.

Different cultures, different rules.

Depends on local customs.

You'd never tip a delivery person in the UK, ever. No one I know does.

Tipping in the US is a much more customary thing and more commonplace. Here we'd tip waitresses but not delivery, it's just not the custom.

It's quite common to tip them up in Edinburgh, most people would, but you would definitely never get one of them asking, 'don't I get a tip?' Tipping is definitely more of a part of american culture than a british one. I recently moved to New Zealand, and I've never seen anyone tip anyone, waitresses, hairdressers, delivery guys.

I'd have to say that if someone was cheeky enough to ask for it then there's no way I'd give them a tip. I tip waitresses only if I feel they earned it, being friendly and polite. But some of them are so rude, no way I'd ever tip them.

Usually you want to tip the delivery guy.

Tipping a waiter/waitress is mandatory although most people don't realize this. Servers make much lower than minimum wage, so their tips are their actual income. Not tipping a server AT LEAST 10% is incredibly inconsiderate. Unless a server does an absolutely terrible job (the server, not the cook or the restaurant) you should typically tip %15.

Nothing bothers me more when I hear that someone didn't leave their server a tip because their steak wasn't perfect or because the room was cold. The server has nothing to do with that so why make them suffer because of the mistake of the cook? It's not like the cook gets a share of any tips...

Pizza Hut pays their delivery drivers an amount (usually .50 to 1.00 depending on the area) for each delivery they make.

The driver AUTOMATICALLY gets a tip. That amount is factored in to the total bill. I can say such things with a modicum of accuracy since I have (in a previous life) been friends with several of their drivers (Domino's and Little Caesar's) and stole them to work for the company I was employed by because we paid more than minimum wage and let them keep their tips 'undeclared'.

The company MUST compensate the drivers for delivering pizzas since the company REQUIRES the driver to operate their own vehicle during work. It's a shame too since they require the driver to carry insurance but if the driver gets into an accident the company is liable. But that's another story.

Any tip you give the driver is above and beyond the compensation the driver receives from the company for performing the delivery and WILL (if the driver is smart) not be included in taxable income. In short- if a driver from Domino's or Pizza Hut (or just about anywhere else) asks for a tip- they will receive extra money whether you give it to them or not. But in principle, the amount they receive from the employer is about 4%. Considering the recommended tip ratio is 15%, then an extra dollar or so isn't too much to ask. But, if the driver DEMANDS a tip, SHUT THE DOOR! He / she is being rude. Pizza Hut has already paid them for the ride.

*edit-

I must add-

if they told you it would take an hour but it only took 30 minutes then tip...

if they told you it would take 30 minutes but only took an hour DON'T tip.

*2nd edit-

By law (in California) minimum wage is the factor: an employer CAN pay you less than minimum wage if your tips from other income combined with your hourly salary divided across your hours worked exceeds minimum wage. If it doesn't, the employer is supposed to adjust your hourly rate in order to make your gross take home divided by hourly rate plus tips equal to minimum wage.

*3rd edit-

Just give the delivery person 1 dollar for every ten spent. Round up if necessary: 10= 1 tip, 15=2 tip, 20=2 tip, 25=3 tip, 30=3 tip, 35=4 tip. Automatically round up to the next dollar if the delivery came sooner than the person on the phone said.

Edited by Agt. Smith

its considered very rude to not tip. Its like not tipping a waitress.

(grr i just split that infinitive. shame on me.)

You split that infinitive with negation ("not" in this case), doubly bad. ;)

In Australia, tipping is not common practice. In my country we actually pay our employees (sorry, I couldn't help myself :)).

Sicilian, light sauce (pomidoro tomato please), mozzarella and provolone, fresh garlic, onions, whole olives, red onion, parmesan and a light spread of cheese on top- THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

lol

waiters and waitresses, it's LAW in Canada to tip 15%.

Delivery boys (now old men) is usually around 2-3 dollars canadian. Normally we do, if we want to order again, without them spitting in it

Delivery boys (now old men) is usually around 2-3 dollars canadian. Normally we do, if we want to order again, without them spitting in it

Who told you its Canadian law? If it was law it would be built into the bills.

For me it really depends, usually I tip about 5-8 dollars for delivery guys and waiters/waitresses get a tip depending on the service. If I get really poor service they get a penny, if they are exceptional they get 30-40% (and yes I have paid that out numerous times). If they are beyond exceptional they get what ever the bill is + 10% as a tip.

You split that infinitive with negation ("not" in this case), doubly bad. ;)

In Australia, tipping is not common practice. In my country we actually pay our employees (sorry, I couldn't help myself :)).

I was going to say... it's your job to deliver pizza, or to serve meals. Why give a tip for doing your job. I don't get a tip because I work retail and have to put up with all your ****. It's my job.

I personally know its half the tax, which makes sense to me. Our tax here is 14% so its 7% for tip at restaurants and such. I've never ordered pizza delivery so I wouldn't know regarding the original post.

It's the law? :huh: Which Canada do you live in? :p

According to this, apparently you need to report tip earnings to the revenue agency, which would probably mean they would have built it into the receipt if that was the case?

I would tip the pizza guy, but I like pick-up better (Y)

:laugh: In my area, Pizza Hut started charging 50 cents for the driver's gas.

Tips are an extra courtesy -- but not really necessary.

But most pizza delivery people survive on the tips kind customers give them.

its considered very rude to not tip. Its like not tipping a waitress.

I don't tip them either. Why should I pay someone to do the job that they're already getting paid to do?

I've always tipped the delivery boy/girl. It's pretty bold to ask for a tip, though. If someone didn't offer me a tip then I certainly wouldn't ask for it either.