Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:08

need release dates.

#17 TokyoKiller

TokyoKiller

Neowinian Canuck

• 2,374 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:15

Get an Xbox 360 :D. Jk!

On a serious note, whats with these prices going up and up. I mean I know it is top of the line product and brand new but seriously if people have to shell out $500USD every year for a new graphics card there are going to be a lot of pockets with holes soon.

#18 Slimy

Slimy

Ars + Neowin

• 22,355 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:24

Funny you say that because I'm the complete opposite I can't stand Nvidia's naming scheme, I love ATI's, its quite simple and easy to understand.

Actually, I wouldn't mind at all if nvidia followed ATI's. I just want a standard.

#19 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• 20,012 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 17 February 2007 - 21:23

I'll wait for some benchmarks showing both the GeForce 8800 and the Radeon "R600" head-to-head.

#20 Tantawi

Tantawi

Neowinian Senior

• 4,855 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z

Posted 17 February 2007 - 23:55

Can't wait to see benchmarks :D

#21 Aero Ultimate

Aero Ultimate

Neowinian

• 1,290 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 16:20

Do you guys think a 550 W power supply can handle this 600 dollar monster?

That really depends if it's a good quality brand-name psu (Antec, Seasonic etc.) or some no-name garbage. In the latter case, it will most likely go up in flames from overload.

#22 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 17:03

Same here. nVidia's naming scheme is hideous sick.gif

I find nVidias easy to understand. First number is the generation and the second seems to depend on the type of card it is. So x200/x600 are budget cards, x800 is usually the first release of a generation, and x900 seems to be a much later and refined release (that's how I understand it anyway). Not that hard to understand.

Never taken much notice of ATi so they just seem like random numbers to me. How does their numbering scheme work?

#23 vetMax™

Max™

Neowinian Senior

• 11,406 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 17:10

Get an Xbox 360 :D. Jk!

On a serious note, whats with these prices going up and up. I mean I know it is top of the line product and brand new but seriously if people have to shell out $500USD every year for a new graphics card there are going to be a lot of pockets with holes soon.

People don't have to have a new graphics card every year. If you are a die hard gamer and must have the cutting edge stuff then you gotta realise its an expensive hobby... Otherwise its just plain stupid.

#24 DrCheese

DrCheese

Tell me i'm your national anthem

• 3,013 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 17:37

bleh they need to get the power requirements under control before I'll buy a next gen card

#25 Kaidiir

Kaidiir

can't stop the signal

• 1,790 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:11

Pretty soon video cards will be seperate computers. They will sit on top of CPU towers and have a PCI "bridge card" that goes from the EGP (external graphics processor) to the PC and then out to the monitor, all connected by fiber optic cables or some other ultra-high-speed interface. An EGP will have components which can be easily upgraded (CPU, memory, etc.), therefore extending the life of the ~$1200 device.

But the framerates and the detail........ :woot:

#26 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:57

Pretty soon video cards will be seperate computers. They will sit on top of CPU towers and have a PCI "bridge card" that goes from the EGP (external graphics processor) to the PC and then out to the monitor, all connected by fiber optic cables or some other ultra-high-speed interface. An EGP will have components which can be easily upgraded (CPU, memory, etc.), therefore extending the life of the ~$1200 device.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. I'd be willing to bet that within the next 5 to 10 years, we'll have a second full-size ATX motherboard in the computer, dedicated purely to graphics.

#27 vetPL_

PL_

Neowinian Senior

• 13,773 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:11

Funny you say that because I'm the complete opposite I can't stand Nvidia's naming scheme, I love ATI's, its quite simple and easy to understand.

Wha? :blink:

The whole series idea is great, and makes it easier to compare...

#28 Punio4

Punio4

Neowinian

• 684 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:37

And the electricity bill... :)

#29 SamNeeds

SamNeeds

Neowinian Senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:57

Sounds impressive. I'll be going Nvidia though, for my next card. Just didn't like the way my X800 XT performed since I've been using it (on a number of different configs!)

#30 megamanXplosion

megamanXplosion

Neowinian Senior

• 2,192 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:10

I wonder how well these would do with Folding@Home :D

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!