Tekken 6 Revealed

Tekken 6 Revealed

Namco debuts a new PS3 trailer and shares first details.

by Anoop Gantayat

February 16, 2007 - Shocker from the land of raw fish and tofu. Something big actually happened at one of those Japanese arcade shows where nothing big usually happens. How big? How about the proper debut of the sixth entry in a certain Namco fighting series?

That's right, Tekken 6 showed face at the AOU arcade expo in Japan today, ending a lengthy silence that followed the underwhelming trailer clip that introduced the game as a PlayStation 3 title back at last year's E3.

So is Tekken 6 a PlayStation 3 game, or an arcade game? The answer will likely be both! The game will debut sometime in 2007 as the first arcade game to use a new arcade board based off the PlayStation 3 hardware. News of a PS3-based arcade board is news in of itself, as it's the first time such a project has been mentioned. Presumably, ports to the PS3 itself will be simple, meaning Tekken 6 is as good as confirmed for home release.

The footage showed at AOU consisted of a trailer, followed by a brief interview with director Katsuhiro Hirada. Hirada was also director of Tekken 5, so this latest entry in the series appears to be in good hands.

Based on Hirada's comments during the interview, Team Tekken will be retaining for Tekken 6 the elements of Tekken 5 and Dark Resurrection that were received well by players. Hirada promised the greatest character count the series has ever seen, along with heavily customizable character costumes. He also made mention of greater interactivity in the stages.

Two new characters were introduced in the AOU trailer. Zafina is a female character whose moves Hirada likened to that of a spider. Leo is a German character whom Hirada expects beginners and experienced players alike to enjoy.

The E3 Tekken 6 teasaer clip shocked many with how terrible it looked, especially compared to the pre-rendered teaser clip Namco had shown at the E3 before. The footage shown today, which we presume is represenative of how the final game will look, looks a lot better than the E3 clip, but doesn't stand up to Sega's Virtua Fighter 5 in terms of detail and lighting. The game does run in high definition, although we're not sure if that means 1080p or 720p.

But don't take our word for it. Namco has made the trailer available in streaming format at its website. Click here to start the Windows Media 9 stream. We've also uploaded our own version of the trailer, which we grabbed with the IGN spy cam off the show floor. The quality isn't the greatest, but you should get an idea of what the game will look like.

As to how it will play. Well, there is that little bonus footage at the end of the trailer showing one of the characters firing a gun. We're expecting a few surprises when Tekken 6 arrives in arcades later this year.

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/765/765372p1.html

Videos: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748466/vids_1.html

Awesome news!! :)

Another great game on the way. Looks very clean! :yes:

What are you talking about? Clean?

This game at least from a visually perspective is horrible. It reminds me of Tekken 5 for the PS3 (High-def but definitely looks like a PS2 title). And this is nothing against the PS3 mind you, but that doesn't change the fact that these visuals are not impressive.

Heck this makes Doa4 look beautiful, and even that game felt like a slightly improved HD version of Doa3/ultimate visually.

Now Virtua Fighter 5, that's a visually impressive game.

Edited by MadFerIt2006

Well that was kinda disappointing. The character customization looked cool, but kinda gimmicky.

The graphics weren't that good either considering.

We can have really good looking games with loads of things going on, but when there appears to be only two people fighting on the screen with a level that really isn't that big, id expect a bit more.

But I'll give it a bit more time before I judge it to hell.

^^ you realize your viewing a video that was recorded off a camera.. Do you honestly expect to see things in their true detail?

I think it looks pretty good great enviroments, the fighting look ok, but most arcade style games are the same. Nice graphics, I'd like to see it in 1080p

^^ you realize your viewing a video that was recorded off a camera.. Do you honestly expect to see things in their true detail?

I think it looks pretty good great enviroments, the fighting look ok, but most arcade style games are the same. Nice graphics, I'd like to see it in 1080p

Exactly! Still very clean. :D

Hmm I can't tell if it is good or not. All the people shooting it down and calling it CGI you don't know enough about Tekken to call that CGI.

Who's calling that CG? Haha. I'm pretty sure people were expecting something like the E3 2005 trailer. But oh well, whatever. :rolleyes:

Tekken games have never disappointed when it comes to graphics (and gameplay), so I don't see any reason why they should start now. I suspect that it'll be all good once the finished product rolls out the door :D

Oh of course, thank you so much for pointing that out to me, id never have realised otherwise..........

Sarcasm aside, i do have eyes and can clearly see what the source of the video is, and i stand by what i say that it looks like a PS2 game just higher resolution.