Macs Getting Outdated

Here's what I'm planning on buying now:

• iBook 800MHz 12.1" Model
  • 640MB RAM
  • 30GB HDD

My only concern is will those specs be outdated by new Mac models in a year? I don't think so, but I just want to be sure.

i don't think that anybody can really tell you what will happen for Macs in a year...at least notebook wise. is there a chance that this time next year you could buy a 1.5 ghz laptop?? it's possible...but if you base any computer decision on what will happen next year then you'll never get a computer.

it's a pretty safe purchase, because Apple will definitely support it software wise and stuff (your computer will always be within software spec) at least for the next 3 years. personally i'd go for a windows notebook.

you get faster chip speed, faster ram, alot more software, and if you ever wanted to you can play games on it. and they come with firewire and usb (2.0??) ports.

and oh yeah get the 640 from Apple. they have the memory special where you can double the memory on computers for only $40. so i configured an ibook and you get the max of 640 for only $40 more, so that's a damn steal.

You can't be concerned as to wether or not the computer you are about to buy will be outdated soon or not. Cause with the way technology products advance, it will be, right after you open the box.

Concerning the iBook I think it is safe to say that they will get at least a speed bump about every 6-7 months. They were bumped from 600 to 700mhz in May and then to 800mhz in November. Like I said once you oepn the box, its outdated.

*iomayho: This is OS X we are talking with. If you gave it 5GB of RAM it would use every bit of it.

don't worry about getting outdated. you'll be very happy with your purchase. :)

yeah i agree with you macrosslover, 'you get faster chip speed, faster ram, alot more software, and if you ever wanted to you can play games on it.' but you left out one important factor, you can't run Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar. :D

Heh . . . outdated. The whole Mac line itself is outdated. And from the rumors, it will be that way for while, even if they release the G5 which is slated to run not much faster than the G4.

Heh . . . outdated. The whole Mac line itself is outdated. And from the rumors, it will be that way for while, even if they release the G5 which is slated to run not much faster than the G4.

Back this statement up please.

Heh . . . outdated.  The whole Mac line itself is outdated.  And from the rumors, it will be that way for while, even if they release the G5 which is slated to run not much faster than the G4.

Please explain how the "whole Mac line" is outdated? How is that even possible. Every single line of Apple computers are optimized to run Apple's current OS. The hardware is at the best it could possibly be. There are no other Macintosh computers out there that are running faster than Apple's computers.

Please do not even mention PCs. They are not Macs, they do not run OS X, this is the Mac section of Neowin dealing with a topic on Macs. Therefore they are irrelevant.

yeah i agree with you macrosslover, 'you get faster chip speed, faster ram, alot more software, and if you ever wanted to you can play games on it.' but you left out one important factor, you can't run Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar. :D

well personally i wouldn't pay 1600 to run an operating system lol. no matter how good. and windows xp is damn near perfect. i've never had a problem with it. no crashes ever. and all those security holes (99% of them would never have affected me anyway)

well personally i wouldn't pay 1600 to run an operating system lol. no matter how good. and windows xp is damn near perfect. i've never had a problem with it. no crashes ever. and all those security holes (99% of them would never have affected me anyway)

well i also wouldn't pay $2000 for a fast but ugly windows machine. :D

i would rather fork out $3000 for a fast and beautiful machine. :rolleyes:

edit: for your information, i have nothing against windows xp, i've been using it for a year and i love it. but when it comes to notebook, i couldn't find one pc laptop that beats iBook or PowerBook, design wise. ;)

oh don't get me wrong the ibook and powerbook win design wise. but i would need a notebook that will complement my windows desktop and that i will be able to do everything on (i'm mainly a gamer) hence my reluctance to get a apple notebook when i could spend that money on a windows notebook that can do everything my desktop can do.

and i would sacrifice a nice looking computer for a computer that has more value in my opinion. if i purchased computers based on looks, then all my computers would be Gateway's.....but they're crap so i always make sure i look inside the box lol.

and oh yeah get the 640 from Apple. they have the memory special where you can double the memory on computers for only $40. so i configured an ibook and you get the max of 640 for only $40 more, so that's a damn steal.

Not true dude. It says DOUBLE your memory. That's 2x (256) not 5x (640). You can double your memory to 256 for 40 dollars. But if you want to use that deal to get 640, it will cost you 200 on top of the default price.

oh don't get me wrong the ibook and powerbook win design wise. but i would need a notebook that will complement my windows desktop and that i will be able to do everything on (i'm mainly a gamer) hence my reluctance to get a apple notebook when i could spend that money on a windows notebook that can do everything my desktop can do.

Then what's the point of having a laptop? I guarantee there is no notebook that can do everything your desktop can do. Unless you have an old desktop. If you want to lug around an 8lb brick with a 2 hour battery life, be my guest. 8lbs gets very heavy on the shoulder after a very short time. Or you can get a cheaper, better iBook that weighs in at 5 pounds (much easier on the shoulder), and has a 5 hour battery life, that does all a laptop is supposed to do. Laptops are not meant to play games. It is a portable computer meant to "complement" your desktop. It's not meant to do all the same stuff as your desktop.

You can't be concerned as to wether or not the computer you are about to buy will be outdated soon or not. Cause with the way technology products advance, it will be, right after you open the box.

Concerning the iBook I think it is safe to say that they will get at least a speed bump about every 6-7 months. They were bumped from 600 to 700mhz in May and then to 800mhz in November. Like I said once you oepn the box, its outdated.

*iomayho: This is OS X we are talking with. If you gave it 5GB of RAM it would use every bit of it.

I've got 1.5gb of ram and I'm only using 15% of it at the mo.

and i would sacrifice a nice looking computer for a computer that has more value in my opinion. if i purchased computers based on looks, then all my computers would be Gateway's.....but they're crap so i always make sure i look inside the box lol.

lol you think gateway's are nice looking... :laugh:

when you get your hands on the latest powerbook, you'll learn that a laptop can be powerful, and good looking. nothing to be sacrificed. ;)

BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Yes, it probably will recieve and update at some point, but you gotta consider the PC side of things where whatever you buy will be out of date in a month or two anyways :s

Ok, then get an apple notebook that can do MORE :p Really, don't bash the system if you haven't used it (I'm assuming you haven't with the way you've talked thus far), and I do used it because there's a lot more to it than just face value and speed concerns. I was a hald mac/pc user for a while, then my PC's mobo got all whacked on me. My obvious concern was "oh crap, now I'm going to lose all my pc programs I need". Well, to be honest, I haven't been to proactive about fixing my PC :) My mac serves just about every purpose I need, and outperforms it the entire way. The software on the mac mirrors just about everything on the pc, but I find the mac programs out there are much better than anything in the PC world. BBEdit would be one great example; Project Builder is just one other.

I mean, it's your choice whatever you want to do, I'd just choose the mac :)

BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Yes, it probably will recieve and update at some point, but you gotta consider the PC side of things where whatever you buy will be out of date in a month or two anyways :s

Ok, then get an apple notebook that can do MORE :p Really, don't bash the system if you haven't used it (I'm assuming you haven't with the way you've talked thus far), and I do used it because there's a lot more to it than just face value and speed concerns. I was a hald mac/pc user for a while, then my PC's mobo got all whacked on me. My obvious concern was "oh crap, now I'm going to lose all my pc programs I need". Well, to be honest, I haven't been to proactive about fixing my PC :) My mac serves just about every purpose I need, and outperforms it the entire way. The software on the mac mirrors just about everything on the pc, but I find the mac programs out there are much better than anything in the PC world. BBEdit would be one great example; Project Builder is just one other.

I mean, it's your choice whatever you want to do, I'd just choose the mac :)

i use the mac laptop plenty of times, i can check them out with my school.

and i can do everything on a windows laptop. unlike most people, i plug my laptop in somewhere when i use it so i don't have to worry about the power. the chip speed is almost equal a desktop, the video card is good enough for all games out today, harddrive space is not an issue, you can burn cds and watch dvds, everything you could do on a desktop you can do on a laptop.