Xandros

I'm curious as to what ya like about it. I think I've seen it mentioned before as very newbie friendly... and something about them working into getting the Crossover plugins built in or Crossover MS Office. Is that the one?

thats all true, and that some of what I like about it. My dislike of some linux dist-ros has been the complexity, not because I am not smart enough to run command and all the crap like it, I just don't like to have to do it. windows has done all the complex stuff for you for some time. its about time that linux has started doing it. Linux will grow immensely once made user friendly. I like Xandros much more than lindows which is newbie tailored.

I just installed Xandros, and I'm in love already. Installer is very simple and nicely made. Has better options then Lindows and Lycoris. Upon first boot my USB printer was installed, which was very slick indeed. Configured a few things, then went right to the crossover stuff. Had IE 5.5, Windows Media Player 6.4 and Trillian all installed within 5 minutes. All worked flawlessly, though IE did crash (ha!) when I visited a microsoft site and it needed to download components heh.

I tried installing Shareaza and a couple other things, but didn't have a chance to fiddle with them to much. Overall it's very slick and pretty. Easy to use and mounted my NTFS partition to boot and called it C:\! Woohoo!

I'm very impressed so far. And to all those who say it's to newbie friendly, I also did an apt-get and installed Synaptic and a few other nice little apps I love like KVirc and the Liquid theme among others.

So far Xandros gets a big 9 out of 10 on my scale.

So you guys have boxed copies of Xandros? I know it's loaded with proprietary stuff and it's just as expensive as Windows. There's no DL anywhere to be found even with all the Crossover stuff removed. I googled for it and even linuxiso.org doesn't mention it. I don't like to spend money when I can't try something out first.

I'm just not too big on distributions that aren't free and testable. That's why I like Mandrake. I don't like proprietary stuff. Never have and never will.

IMHO of course. :cool:

So you guys have boxed copies of Xandros? I know it's loaded with proprietary stuff and it's just as expensive as Windows. There's no DL anywhere to be found even with all the Crossover stuff removed. I googled for it and even linuxiso.org doesn't mention it. I don't like to spend money when I can't try something out first.

I'm just not too big on distributions that aren't free and testable. That's why I like Mandrake. I don't like proprietary stuff. Never have and never will.

IMHO of course. :cool:

one word. edonkey