Dear Steam....F*** off

1, The company Already charges and makes big profits, its big cats who want MORE money who are making ad's appear.

2, I CHOOSE to put posters on my wall, some advertising company doesnt walk in and put them up.

And i see you completely ignored my movie comment? I mean, i agree with everyone, the adverts are not needed. But seriously, if you dont like it stop playing.

In reply to your posters on the wall, i was referring to advertising posters you see around town.

See the point I'm trying to make here?

i was going to say some smart ass thing like its not that big of issue...

However back in the say when i used to play console games i was would have went bezerk if there was an ad on the top like that...it takes from the feel of the game...

Its kinda like some cable tv channels have a real big annoying logo on the top, or when they interrupt a movie with scrolling text... grrrrrrrr

Its unfortunate, im not sure and dont know enuff about online gaming to say much else.

Btw.... great thread title :laugh:

TurboTuna - Would you like it if in the middle of a movie at the cinema suddenly there were advertisements that appeared at the bottom, or even entire commercials. Or how about regular commercials in a DVD you bought. It's good that you are fine with the advertising in the game, it shows tolerance. However you need to see this from the point of view of a person who does not like it (which are many people). Just because you are fine with it doesn't mean that it is the way it should be.

I gave up on steam/valve ages ago, after they ****ed me over.

Somehow or the other my password was stolen and I was banned of CS. So i contacted valve support and one of the support reps [a nice guy] said that the ban occured from some guy in Taiwan but he said he couldn't unban me due to valve's rules even though I wasn't at fault. So I sent them another email back, and some other rep basically told me to **** off and buy the game again [not his exact words but it was pretty obvious what he meant] and then he banned my support account.

Ok so then I made another one and contacted them again, asking wheter my HL2 could be moved to a new account as it was unbanned. That same guy replied with: Sorry that was a mistake and banned me from all games and banned my support account again.

After that I have never ever bought a valve game again, and nor do I plan to.

TurboTuna - Would you like it if in the middle of a movie at the cinema suddenly there were advertisements that appeared at the bottom, or even entire commercials. Or how about regular commercials in a DVD you bought. It's good that you are fine with the advertising in the game, it shows tolerance. However you need to see this from the point of view of a person who does not like it (which are many people). Just because you are fine with it doesn't mean that it is the way it should be.

The ads arnt in the middle of the game. They are at round start/end. Would be completely different if you where just about to head shot and you got a google popup or something.

You get adverts in cinemas, you get adverts in dvds, you get them around your local town/city/village.

People out there can't even afford food and your bitching becuase your super duper game shows a couple of adverts? You people make me sick.

The ads arnt in the middle of the game. They are at round start/end. Would be completely different if you where just about to head shot and you got a google popup or something.

You get adverts in cinemas, you get adverts in dvds, you get them around your local town/city/village.

People out there can't even afford food and your bitching becuase your super duper game shows a couple of adverts? You people make me sick.

What has people starving got to do with this? The advertisments just make valve richer...not charities.

You could apply this kind of logic to any complaining and if you did than we wouldnt get anywhere now would we?

Please don't turn this into an argument about ethics, start a new topic if you want.

Personally I wouldn't really have a problem with this, but I can understand that many would. However this is an inevitable change, as it has been said before, it is happening everywhere. The only way to stop unwanted change is to let it be known that it is unwanted.

Was just an observation into the fact people with the internets take everything for granted. Don't like the ads? Don't play. Wow, what a concept.

@Mieky242. Valve arn't just gonna remove the ads, they're there for a reason. Sure maybe if they don't go down too well then they might get removed, but sending stupid spam emails as the OP suggested wil not get anyone anywhere. If you really want to make an impact, get off the computer, walk outside and do something usefull. They'll soon start listening when people arnt even logging on to play games anymore.

In the mean time, while your outside, do something nice for somebody. Go volunteer somewhere, better yourself. y'know? It makes the world go round. You may even like it ;)

well , i dont play steam and all.. but thats not the way i grew up and it just looks wrong from any point of view.

p.s:- Nice thread title, hovers around edge of immaturity but after getting the matter hammers the point perfectly.

Was just an observation into the fact people with the internets take everything for granted. Don't like the ads? Don't play. Wow, what a concept.

Normally I would agree with you on that one, however these people have already bought the game under knowledge that there were no advertisements in the game and nor would there be any in the future. If they didn't pay for the game or it was a free game than there would be no reason to complain. It's a bit unfortunate really.

I never supported the spam method. I agree that sending spam is not going to do any good.

Doing nice things for people is a little offtopic, but I am an active member of people and planet, and I have done a fair share of volunteer work ;-)

You pay to go see a movie that has adverts in it, but you don't ask the cinema for a partial refund, do you? Thought not.
You knew when you payed for the original ticket that you were getting those ads and secondly they are not durring the film
The ads arnt in the middle of the game.
Yes they are. They are covering in game walls ect. and cant even be sprey painted like the rest of the game world can be.

I think the ads are a terrible idea too. In other games they are subtle and fit in with the games surroundings. In CS you have bloody banner ads youd expect on some cheap web site along with some ill placed advertising for other games or whatever. Surely they dont need to advertise their own products and the steam ststem should allow them to do this anyway while out of the game if they want. The three ads there are for other Valve products. I really wouldnt be suprised if many would be buyers just wont bother getting those games if valves gona wack ads into the games.

I dont even play 1.6 and think it (the ads) sucks. Hope I dont see them in css which I do play.

Edit:

@ the original poster, wouldnt msn popups be even more distracting?

download.php?file=post-114394-1173163993.jpg&name=cs1.JPG

My only comment as a non-gamer would be that they were not remotely tastefully done at all. The word I would use would be glaring.

I dont really care if there are ads or not, but they should add them so they blend with their surroundings like in BF2142, you can hardly even notice the ads are there.

Those ads in 1.6 look horribly placed.

If they want ads in the games, the damn games should be free. Greedy ######. Screw them. I'm not paying $60+ to play a game that has a bunch of ****ty ads in them. Product placement within the game on billboards and such would be acceptable...that crap is NOT.

Bah!

i stopped using steam games 6 months ago. i bought hl2 deluxe with all the games and i used it once. i hated the steam bullsheet so i dumped it all and will never buy their stuff again. same with bf21whatever. they can take their spamware games and stick em were the sun dont shine. i wont play lucas arts games anymore because of their star wars galaxies. bought it just to find out they want me to pay for a monthly subscription. no frackin way.

a lot of game makers have gone the way of how much can we bilk the masses and get away with. just like adding the spam ware to taylor adds to what you use and were you go. [bf2142] its a crime if you ask me. they dont tell you these things they blindside you instead. but thats ok. they can keep their crap and ill buy from reputable companies who dont screw their customer base.......

That is annoying. But MSN is even more annoying with it's ads, it's just ridiculous!!! Do they not think that people hate this kind of stuff??

As if one of these adds is going to incurage me to buy the product. Advertisements are getting out of hand IMO, on most TV channels you don't get 5 mins of a program before you get 2 mins of ads!! Now there in games!??! Next you'll be seeing Advertisements stamped onto each grain of cereal you eat!!

The main reason why they're horribly placed is because that screen shot posted is AZTEC. Isn't Aztec supposed to be some ancient ruin? Since when did the Mayans enter the marketing business?

Office would make more sense. But I still hate them. Period.

Put it like this, More ads=more updates, if they dont make money from a game anymore coz everyones already bought it there would be no incentive to update the games i suggest you all stop whining

It's CS 1.6. You're playing a years old game (read: not updating to CS:S) and you expect them to be that nice to you? Businesses need to make money. I think Valve has every right here.

here is a post off of the steam forums that makes an excellent point, and i think shows how most people are thinking.

People complaining saying that they are going to quit playing will not scare them because you already bought the game so they got your money :)

You are the one that makes me sick, I don't even play CS 1.6 but your intolerance for others opinions and your VAST superiority complex has me vomiting on my keyboard right now... and it's a Logitech G15 too :( Thanks alot!

That money doesn't last forever. What will scare them is the prospect of extremely bad publicity and people refusing to buy future titles they release. Imagine: Half-Life 3 comes out, takes full advantage of DirectX 10, has TV spots and movie-theater trailers, full-page spreads in game magazines, has a soundtrack composed by John Williams, textures so realistic you think you're hallucinating another life, perfectly balanced gameplay, a revolutionary PvP online system, revolutionary mission-based co-op online play, etc. etc.

And nobody buys it. Why? Because the company felt like double-dipping and screwing over the people who gave them their hard-earned money for their previous products when they started embedding ads and acting like world-class marketroid bottom-feeders.

THAT is the scenario that will scare them and, if you want the ads gone, THAT is the scenario you must tell them in no uncertain terms will happen as described if they don't disappear those ads as a top priority. They must be made to equate advertising with massive, catastrophic loss of revenue. Simply put, we must make advertising hurt them if we want to get rid of advertising. And we all know the best place to hit a corporation if we want it to hurt, right? Repeat after me, class: The pocketbook.