Optimize XP for Dual Core

Nice guide! I just upgraded from a 3200+ to a X2 4200+. I already noticed a performance boost, but after the guide it seemed to be even snappier :) Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Anyone else tried this on a Intel Pentium D??

This "dual core" fix is not for improving dual core performance, but for preventing crashes caused by dual core CPUs (mostly from AMD) when they change power-saving states. AKA change their CPU operating frequencies to save power. It does nothing to improve performance, XP already schedules tasks across cores without the fix.

You DO need the fix if you are getting crashes in XP because of your dual core CPU.

As for the difference between Vista and XP, Vista is running so many craplets in the background it needs enhanced dual core support just to run as fast as XP. :| Compare Vista performance on single and multi core CPUs if you think this is a joke.

Here's a good article about what this XP dual core issue is really about:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=195533

But then why are people getting performance increases??

This guide is not for XP 64-bit btw. The update doesn't apply (and there isn't a 64-bit version, I checked) and the reg entries aren't there in the 64-bit version too. Just wanted to let you all know ;) Thanks for the guide tho, I did hear it's done wonders for my friends.

• 4 weeks later...
Before I try this will I see any performance increase with a P4-670 3.8G HT processor?

apparently people are noticing a difference... i can't say because i have a core 2

• 1 month later...

This is what I read of the MS website, here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

SYMPTOMS

Computers that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features, such as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) processor performance states, require Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Additional updates are available to optimize performance and behavior on computers that are running Windows XP SP2. Without these updates, computers that are equipped with these power management-capable, mobile, dual-core processors may experience decreased performance or unexpected behavior.

That red word leads me to think that there isn't any performance to be gained by doing these steps.

does any of thi stuff work under vista? or is vista set up for dualcore already

Course Windows Vista is fully optimised for dual-core processors.

i dl'ed the ms fix and i got an error. I have a p4 w/HT, created the registry key and modified the boot.ini

i'm actually gonna restart right now to see if there's a difference.

when i built my bro's AM2 Rig, i believe i installed the AMD drivers, the Windows fix, AND the dual core optimizer (one game even required it). so i dont believe its harmful. every game runs fine on it, except he's having issues with steam games (online only). Wish i knew why.

• 2 weeks later...