A couple of questions

Ok, trying to keep the dog off the lawn but have a couple of questions...

1.) Somehow I've managed to loose my tar.gz association, it seems to be associated to Stuffit which won't recognize them... Can someone recogmend a way to get that restored to default? I can't seem to find where the associations are stored...

2.) IRC Clients? Advice? I don't have Jaguar yet due to the companies error so anything you can suggest would be appreciated...

I also am wondering, the machine runs really fast now, will the graphics truely be spead up with the Quartz Extreme in Jaguar with a 32 meg card?

I'm sure I'll post more here as I think of them, feels odd relying on others for computer advice! ;)

1.) Look in your ~/Library/Preferences/ folder (that's in your Home directory)for files that start with the prefix com.stuffit. throw all those files in the trash.

I've attached a picture of the files to trash.

You say that you aren't running Jag. So there should also be a couple of files called LSApplications, LSClaimedTypes and LSSchemes. Trash those files also.

Now. Log out of the finder and then log back in. That should fix the problem.

2.) Ircle is used by most Mac users. Snak is also available, as is Fire. There are a couple of other good clients out there also, but I think ircle (www.ircle.com) is the most often used. BitchX also is OS X compatible.

Quartz extreme is very noticable. It's surprising. :)

post-60-1039746725.jpg

OSX 10.2 Installs

After a chat with the company I got my iMac from, they are sending me the OSX 10.2 update CD... I'm just curious, is it like with a Windows box? If you're going to install it, you might as well reformat and install it over a fresh copy of OSX in order to avoid all the problems you may have?

--

Weird Folder

Suddenly after running system update today I now have an empty folder in my Root Drive (Macintosh HD) called Desktop. It wasn't there until today and I can't delete it, it says the system requires it... It is also very empty and I'm wondering what I did to get it and how it's used?

--

Software Installs

Assuming I installed a program (That used the Wise Installer thing) is there such a thing as an uninstall or just trash the program folder?

--

Thanks everyone, I'm learning just a touch slowly! ;)

For IRC, Snak is my preferred choice. It runs the fastest, in my perceptions, and is lightweight.

As for the 10.2 install, don't worry about other programs. Mac OSes and their programs are very separate. There is no registry or central dll's that get changed and mess things up. Everything is very atomic, so you shouldn't ever need to format. :)

Really, the installers are kind of a waste, all they really do is copy the program to your Applications folder. Rarely do other thigns need to be installed (Office is even contained within one folder!!!). Just drag to the trash, and your done (unless otherwise noted). If you really care, you can check your preferences folder as well. However, I don't usually bother as these are <1k files anyways :)

For IRC, Snak is my preferred choice. It runs the fastest, in my perceptions, and is lightweight.

As for the 10.2 install, don't worry about other programs. Mac OSes and their programs are very separate. There is no registry or central dll's that get changed and mess things up. Everything is very atomic, so you shouldn't ever need to format. :)

Really, the installers are kind of a waste, all they really do is copy the program to your Applications folder. Rarely do other thigns need to be installed (Office is even contained within one folder!!!). Just drag to the trash, and your done (unless otherwise noted). If you really care, you can check your preferences folder as well. However, I don't usually bother as these are <1k files anyways :)

Ya, I've tried Snak, just got to get use to everything being shareware on a Mac. :p I mean, an IRC Client should be freeware. ;)

Any ideas on that odd "Desktop" folder timdorr? It happened I think during the upgrade from 10.1.4 to 10.1.5... It's one of those little things which has just been nagging at me all day. ;) I hate empty folders which clutter up my folder structure. ;)

Regarding IRC clients.. I've tried them all.. And I constantly come back to irssi, which is a command-line client. There are some Aqua clients that look promising though, for example iRC (I also made the toolbar icons for that one, kind of to get it going in the right direction :)) and an Aqua port of X-Chat. I tried Snak some time ago, and all I remember about it is it didn't feel like.. home.

Actually, that X-Chat port is rather nice. I've used it and seem to like it a lot :)

Yeah, it looks promising, but it lacks support for international characters. I can't use Swedish characters (?, ?, ?), so it's pretty useless to me right now. The X11 version has encoding options though, so I'm hoping it will find it's way into the Aqua port sooner or later aswell.

Any ideas on that odd "Desktop" folder timdorr? It happened I think during the upgrade from 10.1.4 to 10.1.5... It's one of those little things which has just been nagging at me all day. ;) I hate empty folders which clutter up my folder structure. ;)

The Desktop folder is a necessity for OS X (along with certain other folders like Temporary Items and Desktop Folder.

It could be a *nix thing, but I have the folders also. I just look past them, since they only appear at the root disk level, and not in my home directories. :)

BitchX is a decent (free) IRC client for os X.

Installers are usually not needed unless you are running a program that calls directly to the Kernel, or has heavy ties into the system architecture.

Most app's don't require an installer, and they usually shouldn't, since most are pretty much a drag-and-install kind of thing. If you want to uninstall a program, just drag the Application's folder to the trash, and select empty trash. (some programs that have installers, also have a unistall option availble in the installer interface)

You should probably leave everything that is in your Applications/ folder alone, since moving those programs can "break" the programs. I'm talking about the default set of applications that appear in the directory after a fresh install. (items like iChat or terminal or Chess, etc) Once you start getting and installing your own programs you can put them pretty much anywhere you like.

As far as upgrading, you shouldn't have to reformat to install Jag. There are a couple of options, when you run the Jag installer that enable you to either install a "clean" system (one that is default), or "upgrade" your existing system (which keeps all of your 3rd party system add-ons) or an "archive and install" feature (which backup's all your old system data, and then installs a brand new system.

Whichever way you choose should work fine. If you don't have a lot of important things on your system, I would opt for the "erase and install" option, but that's only because I like partitions. :)

irssi is lightyears ahead of BitchX. It has a window system, meaning you can have each channel, query and others in their own "windows", which have separate buffers, so you can switch between them. Very handy.

Check it out at www.irssi.org . Fink has binaries for it.

irssi is lightyears ahead of BitchX. It has a window system, meaning you can have each channel, query and others in their own "windows", which have separate buffers, so you can switch between them. Very handy.

Sounds cool. I'll check i out.

I'm not much of an IRC person, since I only go to one channel/server. To be honest, I only use one IRC client, and it's the one I made (here is it's website) . I used to use BitchX and ircle, but since I don't really use IRC that much I just stick to my own app. :D

Stupid Question

Is iDVD2 an included part to OSX (10.2)? I'm going to do the clean install when the CD Gets here and I want to make sure I have all my important applications backed up onto CD so I don't loose things... (Keep in mind people, I'm a 12+ year PC Vet, I'm VERY leary about loosing things. ;))

I noticed the folder is 1.2GB and if I have to back that up, I'll have to go buy a blank DVD-R. Granted I'm tempted to anyway but I'm just trying to figure out of it will be included by default to save me the trouble...

Thanks,

Cara

Stupid Question

Is iDVD2 an included part to OSX (10.2)? I'm going to do the clean install when the CD Gets here and I want to make sure I have all my important applications backed up onto CD so I don't loose things... (Keep in mind people, I'm a 12+ year PC Vet, I'm VERY leary about loosing things. ;))

I noticed the folder is 1.2GB and if I have to back that up, I'll have to go buy a blank DVD-R. Granted I'm tempted to anyway but I'm just trying to figure out of it will be included by default to save me the trouble...

Thanks,

Cara

It's not included in the OS, it's a separate product. If it came with your computer you should have gotten it on a CD though.

iDVD should be included with OSX, I thought.... It's DVD Studio Pro that's separate :)

I did receive a CD with Apple DVD Studio Pro or something, but nothing for iDVD...so I won't worry about the DVD player. :)

Thanks,

Cara

DVD Studio Pro retails for US$999.00, and it's made to integrate with Final Cut Pro, so it's unlikely that it was included with your computer.

(I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's highly unlikely)

iDVD ships only with a superdrive equipped macintosh. If you have a superdrive mac and you did not get an iDVD install disc, then you should give apple a call and let them know your situation.

It's not included with OS X, unless you bought a superdrive mac.

read the bitchx faq, there are ways to make new windows. i believe the command is something like /new window hide on, or something like that. you can also make an alias so that it will join new channels in their own windows and then to switch between them you just press alt-1 alt-2 etc.

essentially you can make a new window for anything you want. you can make a new window and join a second irc server if you wish (every new window after will be using this new server i believe). or whatever.

read the bitchx faq, there are ways to make new windows. i believe the command is something like /new window hide on, or something like that. you can also make an alias so that it will join new channels in their own windows and then to switch between them you just press alt-1 alt-2 etc.

essentially you can make a new window for anything you want. you can make a new window and join a second irc server if you wish (every new window after will be using this new server i believe). or whatever.

Now I feel stupid :blush:

I had no idea BitchX had those functions :)

Now I feel stupid :blush:

I had no idea BitchX had those functions :)

Yeah it's a pretty powerful IRC client. It just takes a while to dig around for the commands to do things. Once you get used to it, it works great. :)

:: LOL ::

After trying a slew of IRC Clients, so far X-Chat Aqua seems to be my reigning favorite. :)

Thanks for all the advice...

Cara