Neowin indeed have a lot of Mandrake user

Is it me or what.

I noticed this forum is clustered with Mandrake users.

Hmmm...i not sure. I do have a Mandrake 7.3 installation disk with me. But i had only tried to install it once. I really could not get a hang of it.

Due to different directory layout.

So i used Redhat most of the time. I find it very much to my likening.

So far i do not have much problem with this distribution as almost everything seemed to work just fine.

:p

Kinda strange that most of the problem that pops are mostly Mandrake distribution....I meant installation off the nutshell.

Either i am lucky or what. Everything seemed pretty fine whatever OS i installed...kekeke Be it AiX, Solaris, Windoze, Linux and others...

:p

My advice is to start off the Linux in the command line manner. And manually hit#startx whenever i need the Xwindow interface.

This way its allow me to troubleshoot the system's fault using the command line and fix it before its transit to the window.

Also use the log files as ya guidance to the solution. As it also meant something meaningful where it does not work.

Whoa! There is no such distro as Mandrake 7.3! You must mean Mandrake 7.2!

Also, I used Mandrake-Linux since version 8.0 and Linux did have quite some promises! At that time, I dual-booted with Windows. It wasn't until this release that gave me the green light to prepare to make my system 100% Anti-Microsoft! I just have to re-install it due to my video card screw-up (my software fault) so I can finish my schoolwork. After that, then it's the backing up the data on my Windows 2000 partition since my W2K craps out on me too often, wipe out both partitions and master boot records, and THEN, I can install Mandrake-Linux 9.0 as a standalone OS on my 60 GB hard drive. I'll remove the other 6.9 GB that I have, but I'll probably test Longhorn before I install Mandrake-Linux 9.0 on my 60 GB hard drive. Just to get a good idea on what to expect in the next Windows so Linux will know! :)

Hi,

I got ****ed with Winblowz, so I rebooted my computer with a Mandrake 9.0 install cd in the drive and let it go.

It installed painlessly, and I've had absolutely NO troubles at all :D

(btw, no I don't dual-boot, I'm Linux all the way :))

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I got ****ed with Winblowz, so I rebooted my computer with a Mandrake 9.0 install cd in the drive and let it go.

It installed painlessly, and I've had absolutely NO troubles at all :D

(btw, no I don't dual-boot, I'm Linux all the way :))

Same story here.

Yea but what do you guys do about games? Can you still play Counter Strike etc etc? seriously! thats always been my reason not to switch, Games and 3D being v.difficult on Linux

id love to go Linux all the way.. but i would not be able to play like THPS3 and all new games and stuff :(... and wouldnt be able to use Office 2000 and photoshop.. Icon workshop etc :cry:

Yea but what do you guys do about games? Can you still play Counter Strike etc etc? seriously! thats always been my reason not to switch, Games and 3D being v.difficult on Linux

I don't play game, so... my hobby is to mess around with Linux/BSD, Apache, server stuff and etc. ;)

There are some games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Quake 3 Arena, and some others that are available for Linux, but it's hard to find where to buy them. They'll run faster than their Windows counterparts. You can try WineX, but it's a subscription service if you want to use its RPM's instead of downloading and compiling from CVS. WineX is a Windows emulator that emulates DirectX-based games. Also, Mandrake-Linux 9.0 comes with quite a few games! :) BTW, RPM's are way easier to install than installing Windows programs.

i tried Mandrake and RedHat before (dual-boot with XP), but Linux wuz just to damn confusin for me, so it's back to XP now. i've been thinkin about giving Linux another try lately though :)

wut do u guys think about Lindows?