C#?

Question

18 answers to this question

ooh its just another push for .NET

too bad .net sucks right now. Id get it if it would run right on my computer. C sharp eh... I guess ill look into it once i see a compitent release.

too bad .net sucks right now. Id get it if it would run right on my computer. C sharp eh... I guess ill look into it once i see a compitent release.

Really?

How does .NET suck? Be more specific.

Have you even installed the .NET framework?

Have you downloaded the redistributable?

Do you know what .NET is? And what "running" it on your computer actually means?

I am so sick of 6th graders posting "I hate __________!" "____________ suck alot!" -- If you can't articulate, people discredit you immediately.

C# is a combination of C++ and Java, and the goal of C# is most likely to dominate Java. Remember .NET is meant to be cross-platform, and recall that Microsoft is backing out the support for Java by 2004 or 2005? Well, that's because they have their own power to replace Java, which is exactly what C# is created for.

There is no need to say .NET suck because C# is now a international standard, not just some language created by Microsoft. Open C# and Open .NET Framework are both supported by Linux community under the codename mono. C# is the future to compete with Java.

I ran the latest distribution of it on my main computer pretty much freshly formatted and right after my installation id reboot and everytime id get past my logon screen it would say that .net crashed and do i want to send that dumb error report. After trying a few times I got it installed and working so I tried a few programs that use it. I installed coolmon I think it was, its a program that monitors your system resources and ram and proc speed and all that fun stuff. It worked great for about a day then it just errored and started telling me it didnt want to initialize when i started it up and .net did its crashing crap again. Even after I unintalled all of it Id still get errors about it to the point I was seeing nothing but error messages. I wound up formatting and forgot to backup a crap load so that ****ed me off some more.

and for the record, im a 7th grader :p(not)

oh ya, I realize now that its not just some push for .net, sounds pretty cool. Ill have to pick up a book on it.

Edited by protomor

maybe you need a new puter..

VS.NET runs even on my slow 600.

maybe you need a new puter..

VS.NET runs even on my slow 600.

lol yea, we use it at school :D (using old dells, P3 450Mhz :blink: ) C++ class, right now we're actually using C#, cept for the web with asp :), I like it very much

i've tried convincing my boss about using C# but the concensus in industry to to "SEE AND WAIT" because .NET maybe easy to program..but its very easy to reverse engineer.

thats what you get for using translated languages.

Hmmm.....C# is in the same position Java is...i.e. they are both in infancy.

So, if your argument holds true, your options are: C, C++, Cobol, hmmmm.....that's about it.

As for worried about reverse engineering your code, you should check out this:

http://www.preemptive.com/dotfuscator/index.html

It is being built into the next SP for VS.NET.

If you don't know what Obfuscation is......

My main computer is 1ghz, and I have 512 DDR. I shouldnt have a problem running it. Im not really that worried about reverse engineering. now im just plain confused about it...

If you know C++ and Java you'll find that C# is something like C++ with all that console.WriteLine() instead of System.out.println(), java-style method declerations etc. In fact it is easier for you to learn C# if you know Java than if you know C or C++.

You can also use C# to develop applications for PDAs and other smart devices (the Smart Device extensions for VS.net is in Beta 2 now). And for those who don't like VS.net, the VS.net 2003 is in Final Beta now :woot: and it will be out soon.

I don't know if I can use nVidia's Cg in the .net platform though :unsure: .

so C # is a good thing? even tho its got security problems? So it would be easy to learn for a C/C++ programmer to learn and java programmer and its supposed to be easier and better, yet its supposedly really easy to revers engineer your programs and doesnt work on alot of ppls computers?

C# would be a good language if it weren't part of the .NET framework.

From a devolopers point ov view, the .NET framework is just plain horrible (if you want your products to be downloadable). Most of the EXE's I compile in .NET turn out around 50KB and above, but anyone who wants to run those executeables must have the framework installed. Alright, no problem, lets go download the framework! Wait a second! It's 20 megabytes, i'm not even going to bother.

.NET wont be big until the next version of windows comes out (with framework integrated).

True about the .NET Framework... to a point. First off, C# (also called Mono) is cross platform. So using a compiler different than VS will allow you to run your apps without the Framework (if designed correct).

Secondly, the .NET Framework is not bad at all (in my opinion). True, the package is a 20 meg download, but with Windows.NET 2003 Server the v1.1 Framework is integrated and hopefully it'll be included in XP Service Pack 2 as well. You're right, it'll be another year before .NET applications really take off, but when they do, say goodbye to DLL Hell and crashing! I can't wait!

-- Ethan --