Join Neowin Folding@Home Group

This version 7 client is beautiful. I'm now helping even more than before! :p

Here's proof, for those that don't believe me.

0001-26.03-2012_07.22.PM.png

• 1 month later...

Our team almost has 33 million points.

Welcome new folders.

As big as the Neowin community is, I'm always amazed that we have less than 20 folders. Sometimes less than 15. :|

To the long term folders: Keep up the good work. Without you, I'd probably have moved to another team.

Just joined under the name Zedlor, I'm new to Folding! I understand the principles of it but do you guys keep it running all the time in the background or what? I can't imagine that's feasible seeing as it's keeping my CPU (Core i5-2400) under full load...My ATi 5770 isn't brilliant either :p

• 3 weeks later...

Keeping the CPU or GPU under full load constantly probably scares off a lot of people from folding. I have my GPU at 99% most of the time. The main problem I have with folding is the amount of heat generated. :s

Yep, I keep it running whenever i'm not actively using my PC. I click the Pause button whenever I sit down to do something.

Keeping the CPU or GPU under full load constantly probably scares off a lot of people from folding. I have my GPU at 99% most of the time. The main problem I have with folding is the amount of heat generated. :s

I have to agree here. Whenever I'm actively using my computer, I pause my folding too. Otherwise my computer quickly becomes unusable (and I mean YouTube becomes laggy on my Core i7 laptop). However, the entire time I'm home I'm using my computer, and when asleep or at school my computer is usually off. When I DO leave my computer running during the day, for example to upload a YouTube video (a 20 minute video for me can easily take 5-6 hours... at 480p), I always leave Folding@Home running, because even if it affects the upload I'm not sitting there getting annoyed.

• 1 month later...

Just started folding & joined the team.

Those worried about 100% CPU load, can you just add parameters to your "Advanced" controls? I'm running Mac OSX on quad core (and 8 HT) Core i7, so in my control panel, I have "-smp 4" in the "Extra parameters" box to reduce it to 50% load. I can also do -smp 2 or 6.

-smp 8 gets me about a 15% increase over -smp 4 (I don't really use -smp 6 cuz a 5% gain with 25% increase in CPU load isn't worth it).

• 5 weeks later...

I've recently dedicated my PS3 (when it's not being played) to the neowin F@H group. :)

I noticed a jump of $10 in PGE bill for my Core i7 running at 50% and my Core 2 Duo running at 100% about 7 hours a day each. But that jump could also have been due to running a lot of AC for the hottest month so far. On really hot days, I turn of F@H just cuz it's working against the AC :p

And we're back to #390 lol.

• 3 weeks later...

#387!

I noticed a jump of $10 in PGE bill....

Update on this... I recently moved to Marin County, CA, and nobody told me, but when I transferred my PG&E service, they put me on a "50% Marin Clean Energy" plan that includes up to 50% of my electricity from renewable sources... (overall, it's only about a 4.5% increase). So that might have been part of the increase in cost, not just F@H.