Join Neowin Folding@Home Group

If it's going for a good cause, i'll be happy to donate some of my spare CPU cycles. :)

What I do find odd. Is that somehow Xirtam has caught up to me. Yet I leave mine on all the time...How in the hell....

What I do find odd. Is that somehow Xirtam has caught up to me. Yet I leave mine on all the time...How in the hell....

Perhaps Xirtam has two PS3s running under the same name?

Is that possible?

Perhaps Xirtam has two PS3s running under the same name?

Is that possible?

Yes, although it doesn't have to be another PS3, it could be any Folding software available.

lol

Actually am ruining F@H on a PS3 and 2 PC's for about 14 hours a day,

also 2 more PC's (dual core, so 4 CPU's) running 24/7!

The PC's are running at a combined speed of 15.8Ghz, but they are still no match for the PS3 :cool:

I have been running F@H for years with other teams but now I have switched everything over to this team! :)

Edited by xirtamdbml

I downloaded Folding@Home for Windows and damn its ways the WU Ends: Fri 3 Aug 07 83days :o

I think I'm going to keep running it only on my PS3, with it I do a WU in around 8 hours :D

EDIT: hmm now it changed to 2 days :unsure:

Edited by KoL

^^ work unit ends in 83day, thats just nuts :o

for me work units take 2 to 4 days!

PC Runing F@H for 72 Hours = 1 work unit

PS3 Runing F@H for 72 Hours = 9 work units

:rofl: I think the PS3 Wins hands down!

EDIT: hmm now it changed to 2 days :unsure:

Yeah that seems about right!

Maybe it hadn't calculated the performance of you pc properly or something!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Still not bought any games yet? :p

I'm 4th place and I have 7games. beat most of them, and I do play Rainbow online a lot, my friend still has my Resistance he can't find it :angry:

Its really not that hard to leave the system Folding while your sleeping and at work and get a lot of folding done, just because we are high ranked doesn't mean we don't use it for games too.

Were close to being under rank 1500 out of all teams! everyone get your PCs and PS3s folding I'd love to see Neowin under 1000 :p.

Edit: Well apparently there is people that don't have any games for it, my bad.

Edited by cloudstrife13

I'm 4th place and I have 7games. beat most of them, and I do play Rainbow online a lot, my friend still has my Resistance he can't find it :angry:

Its really not that hard to leave the system Folding while your sleeping and at work and get a lot of folding done, just because we are high ranked doesn't mean we don't use it for games too.

Were close to being under rank 1500 out of all teams! everyone get your PCs and PS3s folding I'd love to see Neowin under 1000 :p.

Edit: Well apparently there is people that don't have any games for it, my bad.

calm down dude, I was just asking Meshuggah cause I remember saying he hasn't bought any yet :p

• 2 weeks later...

f@h will be updated tonight:

http://www.scei.co.jp/folding/en/update.html

Folding@home? for PLAYSTATION?3 Version 1.2

This document highlights some of the changes between versions 1.1 and 1.2 of Folding@home? for PLAYSTATION?3(PS3?).

To update Folding@home? for PS3?, simply restart the application and follow the onscreen updatImprovement: Support for Remote Play for PSP? (PlayStation?Portable)?Portable)

Folding@home? can now be remotely operated through the Remote Play feature of your PS3? system. When you use this feature, the Folding@home? help screen will be specific to your PSP? system?s controls. Use this screen if you need help in navigating Folding@home? from your PSP? system.

Note: PSP? system software should be version 3.50 or higher.

Note: To use Remote Play for the first time, you must first register (pair) a PSP? system with a PS3? system. For setup details, see the ?Remote Play? section of the PLAYSTATION?3 System Software User?s Guide: [url=http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/network/index.html]http://manuals.playstatioImprovement: Visibility of Donor Locations on the Globeibility of Donor Locations on the Globe

The markers indicating PS3? system donor locations on the globe have been improved to differeImprovement: Support for Additional Protein Simulationsupport for Additional Protein Simulations

Additional computation cores are now supported. This allows Folding@home? for PS3? to supporImprovement: Advanced Participation Mode

Improvement: Advanced Participation Mode

An advanced participation mode has been added to Folding@home? for PS3?. This mode allows Stanford to send simulations of varying computational lengths to users of Folding@home? for PS3?.

Because the simulations in this mode can take significantly longer, Advanced Mode is only recommended for contributors who run Folding@home? for PS3? for at least eight (8) hours per day.

Note: In Advanced Mode, an energy graph during the simulation will also be displayed. In this graph, the blue line represents the total energy level of the protein over time. The red line represents the averagImprovement: Screensaver Moderent simulation is run.

Improvement: Screensaver Mode

A screensaver mode can now be activated via the Settings menu. After no controller input has been detected for three (3) minutes, the screen will go blank except for a logo that periodically moves to avoid screen burn-in. Any controller input will exit the screensaver mode.

This feature allows your PS3? system to consume slightly less poweImprovement: Link to Project Descriptiong simulations.

Improvement: Link to Project Description

A link has been added to the Information menu that allows you to quickly obtain additional information about the specifiImprovement: Protein Visualization Enhancementsing to.

Improvement: Protein Visualization Enhancements

All visualization modes have been enhanced with improved shading, highlighting, and focus effects.

In addition, four new visualization modes have been added:

Tapioca ? Displays the protein as a smooth surface with improved shading and depth. (Tapioca replaces the ?ISO Surface? visualization that was available in earlier versions.)

Caviar ? Displays the protein as a smooth surface with defined edges.

Licorice ? Displays only the protein?s bonds.

Backbone ? Emphasizes specific sections of the protein that are of the most scientific interest to researchers.

Note: The Backbone visualization is not available for all proteins.

• 3 weeks later...