Dual Boot Redhat Linux 8 and Windows XP

i'm planning to dual boot redhat linux 8 and windows xp.

i have a 12.6gb 5400rpm hd and a 30gb 7200rpb hd (brand new).

how do i reformat, partition, and install these 2 os's?

on which drives and partitions should everything go?

thanks

If you don't want to deal with clunky bootloaders, I'd suggest Installing XP on the 7200 RPM drive, and Redhat on the 5400. Then just switch your boot order through BIOS whenever you want to switch.

Otherwize, just install XP to your 7200RPM drive, then Install Redhat to that same drive, making sure to resize and setup the partitions to your liking. 7-10GB for the XP partition, and 3.5-4.5GB for the Redhat Partitions.

The process for the redhat install is dirt easy, but if you want to be sure, there are guides on the redhat site answering this very question in more detail.

If you don't want to deal with clunky bootloaders, I'd suggest Installing XP on the 7200 RPM drive, and Redhat on the 5400. Then just switch your boot order through BIOS whenever you want to switch.

Seperate HDs are fine, I agree about put XP on the faster HD. Here's my addition tip: If you are planning to use RedHat more than WinXP, then put it on the faster and bigger HD. It's really depend on what you need and want. Myself, I only use Photoshop and Quicktime on WinXP, so I only need 3gigs and the rest left for *nix. But, I have many computers so I don't need to the dual boot or whatever.

Otherwize, just install XP to your 7200RPM drive, then Install Redhat to that same drive, making sure to resize and setup the partitions to your liking. 7-10GB for the XP partition, and 3.5-4.5GB for the Redhat Partitions.

Umm, I would avoid the resize as possible. Since, he's going to format, so I highly recommend to format and set the two DOS partitions by FDISK or whatever. Install Windows first and *nix second as always. Windows/*nix will change from DOS parition to their own formula of partition. It's ALOT easier and lesser problem that way.

The process for the redhat install is dirt easy, but if you want to be sure, there are guides on the redhat site answering this very question in more detail.

Yup, there even have the screenshots in the docs (manual) at RedHat's website.

hmm I dunno about installing xp on the faster drive, for me it didnt really matter b/c I save all my other files/games on faster hd's, but last time I ran xp on my old 5400 30 GB HD it was fine, anyways whatever you do install XP first, then install RH 8 and use grub :) I like it better than lilo

Its will be easier for u to maintain if u use Different drive for different OSes. Since it save u headache of one OSes affecting another should you required to re-install ya one of ya OS again.

My P4 is using a separate HDD with a dockable HDD to switch between RH7.2 and Win2K Pro around. Much easier.

My PIII866 is a delicated RH7.3 box. Its run on a ASUS CUBX....support 8 IDE drive!!! One thing i noticed, the CMD648 ATA-66 IDE Controller seemed to run faster than my P4 IDE controller. I seemed to get better benchmark when i used #hdparm -tT /dev/hde on my PIII866...

Save the trouble. Acronis OS Selection http://www.acronis.com/products/osselector/ . I use it all the time. Dual boot Linux / XP in 20 seconds. It installs on a bootable CD. Install the program on a small Fat32 partition < 5 MB and it will automatically detect XP and Linux for you. Install XP first and only install LILO on the first sector of the boot partition not in the MBR. Will work like a charm. Nuff said.

so.. if i've got this straight, i do this:

use partition magic to reformat/repartition the drives like so:

/dev/hda (30gb hd - Windows XP)

/dev/hda1 - FAT32 (C: drive - 10gb)

/dev/hda2 - FAT32 (D: drive - 20gb)

/dev/hdb (12.6gb hd - Red Hat Linux 8)

/dev/hdb1 - swap partition - 512mb

/dev/hdb2 - /boot partition - 75mb

/dev/hdb3 - root partition - 12gb

is it possible to share /dev/hda2 (D: drive) with both Windows XP and Red hat Linux 8?