PlayStation 3 becomes UK's fastest-selling home console

One report comes out saying it sold well against all the other reports that say it didn't and that one has to be true, now who's in denial?

Exactly. The PS3 fanboys have a serious problem facing the truth, so they rather believe this delusional report which has been bought by Sony, rather than all the others who say the opposite :pinch:

As reported on another post dvd.co.uk have already reduced it to 399, it isn’t because it's selling well....

One other thing - estimated sales In fact most of the reports on Chart - Track are estimated or 'worthless' as most people like to call them :D

Yes, and it's not only dvd.co.uk who have already reduced their price. If the sales were really oh-so-great, there would be no reason to do that.

Face it, they are only doing this because they're desperate as no one buys the bloody thing.

None. Considering there is NOTHING to earn on it

There is indeed nothing to earn on it, but only because no one buys the bloody thing and thus there is still plenty of it in all stores.

However, there are still some morons who are stupid enough to believe the delusional news of the PS3 selling well and are thus trying to make a quick buck on eBay, which only ends up in a disaster:

ps3ebayshamety7.jpg

That's ?320 for a PS3 with game and extra controller!:laugh::

Also, don't forget the 9% eBay fee of the final sales price, so the seller is only making ?291, or even less if PayPal is used.

There are still close to 2,000 PS3 offers going on eBay:

http://video-games.listings.ebay.co.uk:80/...ListingItemList

The scalpers with their ?500 aren't finding anyone stupid enough to buy it, as auctions that are actually being bid on are generally well below retail price, like this one:

?255 with only 8h left:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PlayStation-3-AVAILA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, serves those idiots right if they're dumb enough to believe Sony's delusional news of it selling w:rofl:ofl:

Exactly. The PS3 fanboys have a serious problem facing the truth, so they rather believe this delusional report which has been bought by Sony, rather than all the others who say the opposite :pinch:

Yes, and it's not only dvd.co.uk who have already reduced their price. If the sales were really oh-so-great, there would be no reason to do that.

Face it, they are only doing this because they're desperate as no one buys the bloody thing.

There is indeed nothing to earn on it, but only because no one buys the bloody thing and thus there is still plenty of it in all stores.

However, there are still some morons who are stupid enough to believe the delusional news of the PS3 selling well and are thus trying to make a quick buck on eBay, which only ends up in a disaster:

ps3ebayshamety7.jpg

That's ?320 for a PS3 with game and extra controller!:laugh::

Also, don't forget the 9% eBay fee of the final sales price, so the seller is only making ?291, or even less if PayPal is used.

There are still close to 2,000 PS3 offers going on eBay:

http://video-games.listings.ebay.co.uk:80/...ListingItemList

The scalpers with their ?500 aren't finding anyone stupid enough to buy it, as auctions that are actually being bid on are generally well below retail price, like this one:

?255 with only 8h left:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PlayStation-3-AVAILA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, serves those idiots right if they're dumb enough to believe Sony's delusional news of it selling w:rofl:ofl:

Prove the bolded comment and Ill believe the rest of the rubbish that you had posted here.

Lower prices are better for the consumer IMO. I might actually get my PS3 sooner if the prices truly are dropping. Good news no matter how you look at it.

Prove the bolded comment and Ill believe the rest of the rubbish that you had posted here.

Just playing devil's advocate for the fun of it - I think you could start by proving that that bolded statement is wrong :whistle:

-Spenser

The full text from my source on previous page:

On past form, the launch of the PlayStation 3 should have provided a guaranteed quick buck for anyone lucky enough to secure a pre-ordered console, but eBay?s pricelist suggests that this time round the touts have misjudged demand.

When the Xbox 360 and PlayStation Portable arrived they were fetching two or three times their asking prices on the online auction site, buSony?s latest console is going for about ?400, ?25 less than the recommended retail pricece.

The problem for the PS3 touts is that the consostill readily available on the high streetet. Delays to the launch in Europe allowed Sony to build up large stocks, including an allocation of 220,000 for the ?This is by far and away the largest stock allocation for any console launch there has ever been in the UK,?UK,? Jonathan Fargher, a Sony spokesman, said. Microsoft supplied an estimated 70,000 Xbox 360s for its UK launch.

A spokesman for Currys and PC World said that sales had been brisk but that the still in stockin stock.

Analysts have said that the high price of the PS3 may also have reduced demand. Carl Gressum, senior analyst at the technology consultancy Ovum, said the first buyers would be dedicated Sony fans.

?Those consumers tend to be willing to pay a large premium to get the new PlayStation,? he said. ?That is a limited market so Sony will need to get the price down quickly in order to reach a bigger market.?

Retailers and analysts have suggested that PlayStation sales will strengthen throughout the year and are predicting UK sales of between 1 and 1.5 million consoles by the end of the year.

Those looking for quicker profits would have done better to focus their attention on the Nintendo Wii, a ?175 games system with a wireless, motion sensitive wand. This console, packaged with five games, is fetching more than ?400 on eBay.

Just playing devil's advocate for the fun of it - I think you could start by proving that that bolded statement is wrong :whistle:

Good one :rofl:

Yes, prove that it's wrong and I'll give you a cookie mr. forster.

ha ha! victory is in sight someone in our group at college got a PS3 on launch day and nothing but console wars atm

I dont have to prove or disprove anything, I just cant believe the amount of ###### Neowin has right now who prefer to see everything negative and dumb things down so that their feeble minds can comprehend it.

I dont have to prove or disprove anything, I just cant believe the amount of ###### Neowin has right now who prefer to see everything negative and dumb things down so that their feeble minds can comprehend it.

Well, after reading djDaemon's posts, I think it's more about claiming a hollow victory with the "fastest selling console" title if other consoles did not have the stock to be able to sell that many. If the Wii was able to "stock up" on consoles and then launch with 200,000, then I'm sure they would've sold out. It boils down to demand. If you have 1 of something available per day and people still line up for it 3 months after it's a good thing for the seller. If you have 60 available the first day and you sell 15 of them but the other 45 sit on the shelf for the rest of the 3 months then the first item should be considered more successful.

Well if you don't have to prove it's wrong, that's your opinion and you're very well entitled to it, but it also means that he doesn't have to prove it right because he's entitled to his opinion whatever that may be. If you don't like it, well, that really sucks for you then. Just because somebody doesn't share your opinion doesn't mean they are feeble-minded or can't comprehend what the article states.

-Spenser

In your face haters!

"Both Nintendo and Microsoft struggled to meet demand with their consoles, leading to stock shortages"

"UK consumers snapped up 165,000 PlayStation 3 units... ...Sony previously stated that the UK would get around 220,000 of the 1 million PS3 units allocated to Europe for launch."

Anyways, it's still good news for Sony. One of their most reliable territories comes through again.

Edited by Danrarbc

Well if you don't have to prove it's wrong, that's your opinion and you're very well entitled to it, but it also means that he doesn't have to prove it right because he's entitled to his opinion whatever that may be. If you don't like it, well, that really sucks for you then. Just because somebody doesn't share your opinion doesn't mean they are feeble-minded or can't comprehend what the article states.

-Spenser

Yes I agree.

But an "opinion" isn't black and white as that. I must admit there is a power load of crap posted by certain users that is flung into this "oh its user x's opinion" category.

Somethings people post are downright unintelligent and silly whether its "opinion" or not.

Thats the stuff that really isn't productive at all.

Dddamn just accept it, ps3 is selling better than everything else right now..the spin form the haters is getting ridiculous

By right now you mean "the first few days" right? I think this "fastest selling console" headline is pointless. Remember that the majority of sales in the first few days will be to the die hard Sony fans. Those guys will typically be willing to pay a higher price than your average Joe. Most, if not all fans will have one by now since they are still in stock everywhere. The true test of the PS3 will be how many it sells over the next few months.

None. Considering there is NOTHING to earn on it due to the fact that Sony shipped enough consoles to avoid going out-of-stock (in Europe that is), unlike some other competing brands.

And they did that by delivering the console many months late to Europe and by cutting out the PS2 chips and opting for software emulation, thereby delivering an inferior product compared to the one released in the USA and yet they still charge a higher price in the UK compared to the USA. Not the greatest of business strategies if you ask me.

-Spenser

The point is, he's claiming his opinion (that Sony bought and paid for this news) as fact, when it's essentially pulled out of his ass. He offers nothing to back this up except his own personal vendetta.

In the real world, we call this libel.

Something else not to forget about are the ?10m in cancellations of PS3 preorders that hit Sony:

http://www.brandrepublic.com/BrandRepublic...-cancellations/

@soniqstylz

Before you go and make big claims here, prove that it's wrong - or do you have nothing to back up your claim that it's wrong except your own personal Sony fanboyism?:rofl::

In the real world, we call this delusion.

@soniqstylz

Before you go and make big claims here, prove that it's wrong - or do you have nothing to back up your claim that it's wrong except your own personal Sony fanboyism? :rofl:

"Attempts to bait others into flamewars will not be tolerated. The use of "fanboy" (or any similar derogatory term) when used against a specific member or group of members will be considered flame-bait and/or a personal attack."

seems to me you're not just "stating your opinion". you've just been stirring the pot and taking personal shots at the ps3 owners here.

Something else not to forget about are the ?10m in cancellations of PS3 preorders that hit Sony:

@soniqstylz

Before you go and make big claims here, prove that it's wrong - or do you have nothing to back up your claim that it's wrong except your own personal Sony fanboyism?:rofl::

I don't need to prove anything. The sales figure claims are out there.

The idea is that you prove them wrong, not talk **** then say "prove me wrong".

I didn't talk big, I made a valid arguement. Those cancellations were from people banking on a shortage, ala, 11/17. Sony had enough stock, so the profits weren't there.

If you can find some official memo that says "Sony pays $10million to company to artificially pump up sales figures", then fine, you have a point. Until then, you're just talking **** for the sake of talking ****.

Oh, and OmGL0lz0rz!!!!11111oneoneoneBBQ, he used the "fanboy" word!! *cries*

@soniqstylz

Although ?10m seems like a lot, it's not. When the article states that it's the equivalent to 20,000 consoles then you realize that, well.. Japan can easily take care of that in a week.. and then some. Hell, we may even see that many sold in the next week (if not more) in Europe. As stated by somebody else in this thread "One of their most reliable territories comes through again."

Although ?10m seems like a lot, it's not. When the article states that it's the equivalent to 20,000 consoles then you realize that, well.. Japan can easily take care of that in a week.. and then some. Hell, we may even see that many sold in the next week (if not more) in Europe. As stated by somebody else in this thread "One of their most reliable territories comes through again."

Looking at the current PS3 sales in Japan, the PS3 is really struggling to reach those 20,000 (whereas the Wii sells more than three times as much in the same time).

Even if it does reach those 20,000, then it still means that Sony lost a week's worth in sales from preorders - and that's by Japan standards. We'll have to wait a week or two after EU launch and then look at the weekly charts there, to see if it can reach 20,000 sales per week in the first place.

Looking at the current PS3 sales in Japan, the PS3 is really struggling to reach those 20,000 (whereas the Wii sells more than three times as much in the same time).

Even if it does reach those 20,000, then it still means that Sony lost a week's worth in sales from preorders - and that's by Japan standards. We'll have to wait a week or two after EU launch and then look at the weekly charts there, to see if it can reach 20,000 sales per week in the first place.

Yeah, and the 360 continues to sell a very small fraction of both consoles sales total.. so what? I don't see how there's a struggle when it meets or clears 20,000 almost on a weekly basis in Japan. When we are talking millions of consoles sold worldwide for any platform then 20,000 becomes such a small number to achieve in my opinion. So they sell and extra 20,000 in one week in NA for some reason or another. It could happen, who knows? Promotion maybe? But yes, you are right about one thing: the next week or two in Europe will be very interesting to see total sales by Sony in that region.

@ Aero.

You say that PS3 units are left hanging around in stores because no one wants "the bloody things", lets say if Sony had only put around 50,000 units into the country and has a result it sold out everywhere. Now by your logic that would be a successful launch because it sold out. It didn't because they had so many consoles in the region and was able to met demand.

Why does everyone keep insisting that PS3 stock on shelves means it's selling badly? Yet the Wii being forever sold out even tho most stores only get a few units a week is a good thing?

If the Wii had enough consoles in the region within the first week of launch sales they would have sold a lot more because they would have been able to meet demand

erm yes there would. If you offer a product cheaper than other stores you will generate more business.

You go and accuse an independent chart tracker of being "brought by sony" and call anyone who believes it delusional. You have NO evidence to back up your claim at all.

How is it made up when even the BBC is now reporting that its sold well?

You also argue that because scalpers aren't doing well, the console must be selling badly. Why would anyone bother with ebay when they can just walk into a store and buy it brand new without the hassle and drama of ebay. Many wannabe Scalpers realised this when word got around of the large stock numbers being pumped into this country and returned preorders.

This is different than the Wii which had shortages and which ebay preorder scalpers were able to make a fortune. Those that didn't bother to read the news about the PS3 stock levels are now losing cash on ebay and rightly so as its a terrible practise.

Preorders for other items get canceled all the time. I myself canceled my wii preorder. I'd agree however that Sony probably suffered a little more from this because of the higher cost of the PS3.

I wish people would just stop hatting on Sony for the sake of it. They rightly got slated recently because of the terrible PR quotes and the removal of PS2 Emulation. I am fed up of people crying about the price over and over and again using it as reason to forever flame Sony and call those that do buy it all kinds of names.

Its just a piece of plastic and Computer chips

Edited by cheesegoduk

Hmm, I was at my local Empik (which is like circuit city/futureshop) here in Poland, and dude, they're selling them here for 2400zl (619.473 Euro / 825.619 US Dollar / 956.248 Canadian Dollar) and guess what? They're still on the shelves, untouched. Hmm, I guess sony really can't get the pricing scheme here. UK may be a different story, but the rest of Europe, they're not doing so well :s

Neztea

@ Aero..

You arguments are lame.

You say that PS3 units are left hanging around in stores because no one wants "the bloody things", lets say if Sony had only put around 50,000 units into the country and has a result it sold out everywhere. Now by your logic that would be a successful launch because it sold out.

thats funny because thats what companies use to do.. including Sony with products :rofl:

I think you guys are kinda missing the point when people say it hasn't sold out so lets mount the merigo round again.

Sony have only sold 165000 of 220000 which means that all the people who want a PS3 have one.

I am not saying it won't sell any more from this moment on there will be sales from people getting pay checks this week and sales from birthdays etc, but this launch was well publisised most people who wanted one have one.

Consider the momentum the console will have going forward, after this initial very impressive launch where do they go?

If you look accross the world the console is strugling, do I think this will go on for ever? No but until their are more games and lower prices this will be the case.

I think you guys are kinda missing the point when people say it hasn't sold out so lets mount the merigo round again.

Sony have only sold 165000 of 220000 1 - which means that all the people who want a PS3 have one.

I am not saying it won't sell any more from this moment on there will be sales from people getting pay checks this week and sales from birthdays etc, but this launch was well publisised most people who wanted one have one.

Consider the momentum the console will have going forward, after this initial very impressive launch where do they go?

2 - If you look accross the world the console is strugling, do I think this will go on for ever? No but until their are more games and lower prices this will be the case.

Generalisation, generalisation, generalisation.

You have nothing to base any of that on, but hey, its an opinion just like everyone elses, but for everyone else on this merry-go-round, remember that opinion is a far cry from fact.

And of course I have nothing to base that on, so here we go round again - wheee ! Och, it's Doogle! This must be a MAGIC roundabout!

Oh, and I didnt know I was Scottish!