couple RH 8 questions...

I have windows XP and Slackware installed on 30gb and 20gb hard drives, respectively. i assume i just format to get rid of slackware, but how would i go about uninstalling the bootloader so i can install the RH one? i used to know, but i havent done it in a while so it slipped my mind. i think it has something to do with the master boot record or something? :huh:

second question: how many of the RH cds are really necessary? there's 5 of them, and i assume one is the OS and the rest are different program packages.... can anyone tell me what's in them (i dont need a list, just a general idea of what they contain) so i know which to download?

would typing 'fdisk /mbr' and then formatting the linux partition also work? i read that on another forum

and as for question 2, thanks, that'll save me some time downloading :D

lol, ok. if i do that, it will boot up windows by default after that, correct?

If you do a fdisk /mbr it wll delete the mbr so you will not be able to boot to any os. You need to install the winnt loader via the recovery console.

If you uninstall the linux loader it will restore the winnt loader.

lol, ok. if i do that, it will boot up windows by default after that, correct?

If you do a fdisk /mbr it wll delete the mbr so you will not be able to boot to any os. You need to install the winnt loader via the recovery console.

If you uninstall the linux loader it will restore the winnt loader.

if you do an fdisk /mbr you WILL be able to boot to windows.

i do it all the time... when i try a new linux distro (that i always don't like) i just pop in my win98 boot disk and type fdisk /mbr and restart, automatically to winodws xp.

as for you. if you are just installing rh 8.0 then, you dont have to format or fdisk anything... just install rh8 over your slackware partitions and the rh bootloader will overwrite your existing one.

to get rid of slackware

Noooo!!! Don't get rid of Slackware and replace it w/ RH 8. I know, I'm a bit biased towards slackware, but if you need any help w/ it let me know. I'll help you before its too late.

sorry, i already installed RH8 :\

i have a problem, though... everything installs fine, and it boots fine up to the login and once it's at that screen the screen goes blank for a second every couple seconds and then after a little bit it goes to a blank text-based GUI (like the very beginning of the install, where it checks the CD) but it just has one blank menu box with 2 gibberish options and when you click one of them it takes you back to the login screen, and when you type startx the window goes black for a second and then comes up with an error saying 'no screens found.' i ran xf86config again and made a new file, but still has the same problem. any ideas?

well, after some trial-and-error i determined that the problem is the 24bit color depth and not the resolution. I've run into yet another problem, however. The mouse doesnt work (it worked up until the 'first boot' red hat program started where i set the date and time) now the mouse just moves sporratically and presses random buttons, but always stays on one of the edges of the screen. How do i set this up so it will work?

edit: yes, i managed to post this without using my mouse ;)

I am donwloading redhat but i want to know what are source disks? Are they needed for anything? i have one but if its useless saves me a cd and downloading another disk(disk 5)

The disk 4 and 5 has souce codes of the apps.

well, after some trial-and-error i determined that the problem is the 24bit color depth and not the resolution. I've run into yet another problem, however. The mouse doesnt work (it worked up until the 'first boot' red hat program started where i set the date and time) now the mouse just moves sporratically and presses random buttons, but always stays on one of the edges of the screen. How do i set this up so it will work?

edit: yes, i managed to post this without using my mouse ;)

hey.....after i installed my video card driver, that exact problem happened to me....anybody know why.....i don't see why installing a video card driver causes mouse problems....anyways, i'm happy to know that by changing the mouse to usb will solve the problem, hehehe....it never ocurred to me to try it........