Paul T. says XP SP3 will not happen

I wish you could just run Vista and XP at the same time with full hardware access by both OSes. Vista screwed game performance, and the hardware manufacturers screwed stability with their drivers.

To contribute to the toopic though, SP3 would be great to have. But if it never made it's way to us, I wouldn't get up and beat my wife over it. XP is fine, use nLite to slipstream.

I imagine there will be an XP sp3, and further service packs, as long as vista is still the latest.

As soon as vista is so yesterday, XP will have a foot in the grave.

The problem is that XP is supported until 2014, so it would suck if they didn't release SOMETHING that could be slipstreamed easily into an XP CD. I realise you can do this unoffically with nlite but its not the same

How hard is it really to make a Service Pack for Windows XP? All thats happening is their compiling all the updates since SP2 and making it easier for people to install everything at once.

Its not that hard I wish they would release an update pack every 3 months for Vista and XP/2003.

How hard is it really to make a Service Pack for Windows XP? All thats happening is their compiling all the updates since SP2 and making it easier for people to install everything at once.

Its not that hard I wish they would release an update pack every 3 months for Vista and XP/2003.

aye, yearly update rollup packs would be great.

i really like Windows XP, and ive used Vista and didnt like it one bit.

it would be very appreciated if they shelled out SP3 for Windows XP, even if it doesnt have any new features it will still bring all of the security updates in 1 package.

It's not confirmed. It's just what one author feels, it isn't confirmed news.

Windows XP still has many years to go. The product support is officially on till 2014. So whether or not Microsoft releases SP3 isn't of much concern, as long as product updates and hotfixes continue.

For those of you worrying about the long list of updates that have to be installed post-sp2, consider using integrating the latest RyanVM pack.

Personally, I'm pretty sure SP3 will be out, if not, there will atleast be a security rollup that'll include all the post-sp2 critical fixes.

I beleive Microsoft will create a Rollup Update Package for Windows XP like they did with Windows 2000, although not officially calling it a Service Pack. Will mostly contain security updates.

On Microsoft's site it is mentioned that SP3 is slated for a 2008 release and that page was last updated on March 28th of this year. Just days ago. That alone blows what PT says out of the water. It would confirm what others are saying about waiting to release it after the Vista launch so people wouldn't get confused.

PT will still find some way to convince some people he's right though. I really can't see why soo many people still listen to him. But I have noticed in the last 6 months or so that more people are starting to ignore what he says. Notice you don't really see much of what he says on the front pages of sites like Neowin as much as you used to?

I do like the comments people left on his site that prove him wrong about what he thinks about SP3 :laugh:

I also can't stand how he always brings his personal life into his articles. People don't want to read about him being late or his kids not being in school.

On Microsoft's site it is mentioned that SP3 is slated for a 2008 release and that page was last updated on March 28th of this year. Just days ago. That alone blows what PT says out of the water. It would confirm what others are saying about waiting to release it after the Vista launch so people wouldn't get confused.

PT will still find some way to convince some people he's right though. I really can't see why soo many people still listen to him. But I have noticed in the last 6 months or so that more people are starting to ignore what he says. Notice you don't really see much of what he says on the front pages of sites like Neowin as much as you used to?

I do like the comments people left on his site that prove him wrong about what he thinks about SP3 :laugh:

I also can't stand how he always brings his personal life into his articles. People don't want to read about him being late or his kids not being in school.

Yep!! Here's the proof of that. XP Home & Pro SP3 Slated Release Date. I myself have always, and will be a big user and fan of XP Pro, and I have no intention of ever switching to Vista any time soon, I've seen way to many problems with it, and 1st off, it's way to early in the development stage to switch, half the main PC Components developers haven't even caught up with Vista yet, and the ones that have are just now getting in their own development of Vista Compatible drivers, and patches to apply to current devices in systems. So if MS does ever decide to release SP3 for XP Home & Pro, all I can really say about it, is I hope it happens, because I'm not willing to get off XP anytime soon, and only hope MS has no intention of ending XP like it's done with everything else prior to XP.

Thanks

One can suppose that if MSFT are not going to come out with a SP3 for XP, then someone else will.

It has been demonstrated for Win2k (sp5, by gurglemeyer), and WinNT4 (me). There is also a service pack for Windows 98SE.

Moreover, Microsoft has issued some kind of warning on betanews against using 'third party service packs' for Vista.

So, MSFT does recognise that there are third party operators out there, and that they also know that if they don't do it, then someone else will.

So i think that a MSFT will come to the party with an official sp3 for XP.

Too bad...

Some of us are forced to stick with XP due to Vista NOT SUPPORTING my damn SATA HDD or chisept and giving me a BSOD on install!

Get a clue already. Microsoft does not develop drivers. It's not up to Vista to "support" your SATA HDD or your 'chisept', it's up to the manufacturers of those products to release compatible drivers.

On Microsoft's site it is mentioned that SP3 is slated for a 2008 release and that page was last updated on March 28th of this year. Just days ago. That alone blows what PT says out of the water.

It doesn't do anything of the kind. All that tells you is that SOMETHING on the page was updated on March 28th, it does not say that the release date was updated then.

Edited by TCLN Ryster

Get a clue already. Microsoft does not develop drivers. It's not up to Vista to "support" your SATA HDD or your 'chisept', it's up to the manufacturers of those products to release compatible drivers.

It doesn't do anything of the kind. All that tells you is that SOMETHING on the page was updated on March 28th, it does not say that the release date was updated then.

And if manufacturers do not write drivers to support existing H/W in Vista then yes, people are forced to stick with XP.

First, this page shows that the date they list doesn't mean anything.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060115042223/...rvicepacks.mspx

Second, service packs include fixes not available on windows update. Look at this list. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...%5bLN%5d;811113

The list for service pack 3 will probably be huge.

Third, I don't believe everything on the interweb, but I'm not surprised when things like this happen either.

Fourth, the topic is windows XP service pack 3. Vista is a seperate discussion. I plan on using XP for several more years.

Edited by LargeLarry

I wish you could just run Vista and XP at the same time with full hardware access by both OSes. Vista screwed game performance, and the hardware manufacturers screwed stability with their drivers.

You can, simply set machine up to dual-boot. Google for instructions on dual-booting XP and Vista.

• 3 months later...