PCI Simple Communications Controller in Vista Problem

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC One S

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:18

I can't locate drivers, in fact I don't even know what this PCI Simple Communications Controller is. I searched online and found discussions about XP but none for Vista. Any updates? Thanks

Pic of my DM

Posted Image

#2 [B00]

[B00]

Neowinian

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:41

that is normally a modem

you could try and uninstalling it and rebooting and see what happens.

used to get that on my lappy and wouldnt pick it up straight away as it has done so when ya reboot it normally picks it up or it did in xp anyway

#3 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:49

That didnt work, it recognized the hardware but then failed to find any.

#4 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:10

Anyone?

#5 zivan56

zivan56

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:12

Check which devices are working/installed and narrow it down from there. Like someone said, it is usually a modem and you need to find drivers for it.

#6 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:20

I tried everything, found on another thread that http://www.drivershq.com/ is good. So trying this program to see. Thanks for your help, I hope this works.

#7 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:21

Another option is just disabling it, since it doesn't look like you're using a dial-up modem anyway.

#8 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:32

It also could not find drivers for it and now says my USB Human Interface has outdated drivers. I will try to disable it, but it will still make me wonder what is wrong with it. Thx

#9 =NickJ=

=NickJ=

~ Neowin Psychotic ~

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:40

Right click on it, select properties, select the Details tab then make sure "Device Instance Id" is selected from the drop-down menu. Make a note of this long string of characters and try googling it, for example my NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator has an ID of PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0057&SUBSYS_CB8410DE&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&50, which is identified in the third result from Google. If the whole string doesn't work, try chopping bits of it off until you get a result, like try checking the bits in between the backslashes

#10 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:45

Right click on it, select properties, select the Details tab then make sure "Device Instance Id" is selected from the drop-down menu. Make a note of this long string of characters and try googling it, for example my NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator has an ID of PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0057&SUBSYS_CB8410DE&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&50, which is identified in the third result from Google. If the whole string doesn't work, try chopping bits of it off until you get a result, like try checking the bits in between the backslashes

Here's mine PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&SUBSYS_505A107B&REV_02\3&18D45AA6&0&18 and I will do that, thank you for the suggestion.

EDIT: I found a topic by removing the last part, and it showed:

System Devices
--------------
Name: Intel® Management Engine Interface
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4&SUBSYS_505A107B&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&18
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\HECI.sys, 2.00.0015.1110 (English), 6/19/2006 16:18:56, 43264 bytes

I will begin checking Intel's site for this driver. Very weird.

#11 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:58

Thank you Nick for the great suggestion!! I downloaded the Intel Engine and it worked, the PCI vanished and it now shows up as a "Intel Management Engine" not sure what that does, but glad it's fixed. Again thank you very much. :D

If anyone else has Vista with the same problem, the driver is: http://drivers.softp...s/11-1469.shtml

#12 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:16

http://drivers.softp...-20181118.shtml

I don't know what it is, but heres one description I could find (I wouldn't download it, It could even be unrelated.. haha)

#13 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:19

I don't know what it is, but heres one description I could find (I wouldn't download it, It could even be unrelated.. haha)

You think downloading that ruined my system? It did work and no problems, I already restarted and still good.

#14 vistasimple

vistasimple

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2007 - 23:27

I also just installed Vista without as far as I know, without any installation errors. I then made the mistake of trying to see if Vista would recognize my Epson Scanner which it wouldn't do because of no Vista driver support for it from Epson.

After blowing out of that installation attempt, I started getting this "PCI Simple Communcations Controller" error with a "?" mark in Device Manager.

I tried reverting to the Vista installation before I messed around with the scanner, but still get the error message. Re the above file, I tried that without success also. I tried running the file and also pointing Vista to it without success.

FWIW, in device manager, I do not see a "modem" listed even though I have a PCI modem in the computer.

Although at this time, this error doesn't seem to effect me much, I HATE to see error messages pop up and would like for fix this problem very much if possible

#15 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:11

I also just installed Vista without as far as I know, without any installation errors. I then made the mistake of trying to see if Vista would recognize my Epson Scanner which it wouldn't do because of no Vista driver support for it from Epson.

After blowing out of that installation attempt, I started getting this "PCI Simple Communcations Controller" error with a "?" mark in Device Manager.

I tried reverting to the Vista installation before I messed around with the scanner, but still get the error message. Re the above file, I tried that without success also. I tried running the file and also pointing Vista to it without success.

FWIW, in device manager, I do not see a "modem" listed even though I have a PCI modem in the computer.

Although at this time, this error doesn't seem to effect me much, I HATE to see error messages pop up and would like for fix this problem very much if possible

Post a screenshot of the error and follow Nick's info (i.e. Right click on it, select properties, select the Details tab then make sure "Device Instance Id" is selected from the drop-down menu.) Post the info we can assist you, otherwise unable to. Thanks.