Does the iMac allow dual monitor?

I have recently purchased a 20" widescreen monitor and wish to buy a iMac and use them both hooked up. Is it possible, costs?

Is it worth waiting for the newer iMacs?

Any estimate would be really really nice as i need it asap.

Just a few queries.

Thanks in advance.

ah ok, i dont want to wait longer that the start of June to get one on my hands tho, unless its a MUST and theres soo much improvement, but the main thing is, you want my 20" dual screened so if i wanted to get a iMac i can use them both.

I doubt the new iMacs will be a massive improvement, I'm guessing they'll just be a redesign, not much changed inside.

Buy one now instead. Sorry that I don't know about the dual screen :(

the iMac does allow dual screen it has an external i think DVI port like a laptop would for external or dual screen monitoring. Also updates to the iMac are looking like to be a santa rosa platform and possibly a better graphics card, and a maybe redesign. Well im waiting until august to get my 20" iMac or late july. After WWDC just incase they do release a new one, and ill be out in summer so i actually wont need a computer that much, so it doesnt bother me that muc of the wait.

I doubt the new iMacs will be a massive improvement, I'm guessing they'll just be a redesign, not much changed inside.

Buy one now instead. Sorry that I don't know about the dual screen :(

They're likely (according to rumours) to spot the new Intel Santa Rosa CPU.

The iMac supports dual monitor according to the apple.com/imac site.

I don't think that Santa Rosa will be out in time. I think that it's more likely for a speed bump/price tweak more than anything else.

iMacs have a mini-DVI port for external monitors

"Mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter (4)

(4) Requires adapter, sold separately."

I used an 20" apple cinema display with an intel iMac 20" before i got a mac pro so to answer the original question yes you can have dual (but not tri) monitors

I don't think that Santa Rosa will be out in time. I think that it's more likely for a speed bump/price tweak more than anything else.

iMacs have a mini-DVI port for external monitors

"Mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter (4)

(4) Requires adapter, sold separately."

I don't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Intel announced a release date of May 9 or somewhere in the neighborhood to release Santa Rosa.

I don't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Intel announced a release date of May 9 or somewhere in the neighborhood to release Santa Rosa.

I read that as well.

Apparently Apple is Intel's new favourite pet so they might have access to it earlier, like the Cloverton (or whatever it's called) 4-Core CPU shipping with the new Mac Pro. ;)

I think the new iMacs will have a significant hardware increase as they have already updated the iMac hardware with the same design already. Besides its about time for the "next gen" of Macs. Apple likes to stay ahead of the compeition. I wouldn't be shocked to find a single quad core cpu in them.

I'd hold off on buying one now regardless if you want the new kind. Older models well be much cheaper once a refresh is issued, and depending which you want, you have the choice. I won't be buying my new 24" iMac until a refresh comes around.

However the current ones will run Leopard/Vista perfectly fine, so if your anxious go for it. I have 2x20" iMacs of the current ones that is, and I love em both.

I wouldn't be shocked to find a single quad core cpu in them.

I've been thinking the same thing, as the iMac tends to follow right behind the Mac Pro (and formerly the PowerMac) in CPU updates, although in single-CPU systems instead of dual-CPU.

The only problem I see right now is cooling the quad chips down as they get pretty damn hot. They def won't make it into the Macbooks, so I'm not sure if it will go into the iMacs with the next refresh. One can hope though. If not, maybe one of those new Intel ships on steroids.

But the iMac and Macbooks usually follow the trend set by the Mac Pro's so who knows.

one never knows with apple... who knows what they come up with...

i would wait if i was you, but mmh... if you're soooo looking forward... mmh...

get it cheap at least xD (www.froogle.com it's worth a search)

Glassed Silver:mbl

YAY, 1234 posts xD

The only problem I see right now is cooling the quad chips down as they get pretty damn hot. They def won't make it into the Macbooks, so I'm not sure if it will go into the iMacs with the next refresh. One can hope though. If not, maybe one of those new Intel ships on steroids.

But the iMac and Macbooks usually follow the trend set by the Mac Pro's so who knows.

The current generation of iMacs uses the mobile variant of the Core 2 Duo CPU. So unless Intel releases a mobile quad CPU (if they haven't already) I don't see it happening. Especially not after those rumours stating that Apple wants to slim down the iMac's design even more.

But who knows. We might even see an iMac Pro. :laugh:

Sweet, whats the difference between Digital and anagloue input, is it noticeable?

The difference between D-Sub (analogue) and DVI (digital) is really only noticeable on larger displays or displays with high resolutions. If your (external) display supports DVI, then I'd suggest using a Mini DVI to DVI connection instead of Mini DVI to D-Sub.