SuSE ISO Download

Greetings!

Once I have everything backed up, I want to test SuSE Linux 8.1. The problem is, however, that I can't find the ISO images for this distribution. Anyone got any ideas on where to get this? I already checked some of the mirrors.

SuSE offer what are called a live distro for users to evaluate. The entire OS runs from the cd. Naturally this is going to be alot slower but its a nice way to test without having to get down and dirty with patitioning.

FTP install? Would there be a way of doing this without partitioning the hard drive? Cause if not, I can still do the disk partitioning since I will no longer be using Windows!

For the ftp install you run it off a install cd (16mb), once you boot from it and install the proper driver for your network card, choose where you want to download it from. You dont need to have linux/windows or anything except the install cd. It will let you choose paritions once the normal install process starts.

Good :)

I find lodg to old

thanks you haerty

happy :D :D :D :D

ft........

I in netbar Don't downlaod :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

chinese netbar is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bbl

FT.....................................................

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/live-eval-8.1/

Live eval boot cd for testing and trying SuSE linux 8.1 on your computer.

This will make an ISO. Burn to CD and try it. As always use Powerquest to already have made an image file to a hidden drive so you can merely restore if you hate it.

Avoid Lindows.

---Rich

Yep I've been playing with Linux but not yet a Debian expert. For older computers check if Lindows is for you, if the video, audio and you have broad band all check out, you'd love it.

I just made the four floppy boot disks and then did an FTP install.

Fotix is incorrect in saying that anything other than purchasing the distribution is warezing, the full FTP install is officially available right from the SuSE.com website with easy to follow instructions.

I thought the SuSE evaluation ISO didn't need to be directly installed to the hard drive!

Only if you wish to save your settings. Even with 512megs it becomes a problem.

---Rich

However if you pay attention there are sound themes very similar to Windows but for the life of me I cannot get the CD PLAYER to play anything. Drives me nuts asking if I have a scsi interace if NOT it probably WON'T support IDE. Huh, what, then how did it recognize both my drives dvd and cdrw???

NEW at this

Greetings!

Once I have everything backed up, I want to test SuSE Linux 8.1. The problem is, however, that I can't find the ISO images for this distribution. Anyone got any ideas on where to get this? I already checked some of the mirrors.

As a commercial build, SuSe does not release any current build ISOs. The only way to really test SuSE without buying the CDs is to download the whole install directory structure and then burn the install boot CD.

The boot CD allows you to load NTSF drivers and you can give an NTSF or fat32 volume as an install source. Assuming you have the diskspace this works quit nicely.

I'm running Mandrake right now, but, I thought that SuSE was quite intresting. not a bad choice at all.

Fotix is incorrect in saying that anything other than purchasing the distribution is warezing, the full FTP install is officially available right from the SuSE.com website with easy to follow instructions.

:D Sorry dude my whole response was sarcastic above. Hehe.

I was talking about the ISOs that ship in boxes that go to stores. They sell for money. Getting the full ISO with the proprietary stuff SUSE paid for and shortchanging them, in effect, by downloading it off of Kazaa or whatever.

Obviously if you are able to jump through the hoops with the FTP install that's fine.

Yep I've been playing with Linux but not yet a Debian expert.

:laugh: Is 'anyone' really a Debian expert? :no:

Debian 3.0 is undoubtedly the heavyweight of Linux. From a technical standpoint this puppy will blow your sox off in any category (desktop or server). Problem is that you really have to know the system to be able to set this up. Try as I might, I could never get Debian to boot a GUI. If you must do Debian, look at Knoppix.

Knoppix 3.1 is a single CD bootable Linux. Very strange, and, very elegant. Boots you into a very complete and functional KDE desktop. this is worth getting just as a novelty! Since Knoppix is based on Debian, it is possible to install it to a hard disk and then proceed with an entirely Debian build. I may still go back to this at some point.

:D Sorry dude my whole response was sarcastic above. Hehe.

I was talking about the ISOs that ship in boxes that go to stores. They sell for money. Getting the full ISO with the proprietary stuff SUSE paid for and shortchanging them, in effect, by downloading it off of Kazaa or whatever.

Obviously if you are able to jump through the hoops with the FTP install that's fine.

Says right on their site if you have a friend with the CDs, they're welcome to share them with you as well, etcetera. I heart Linux.

Says right on their site if you have a friend with the CDs, they're welcome to share them with you as well, etcetera.  I heart Linux.

Really? Then why don't they let you DL the ISOs from their site or one of their partner sites... If they want to share, they don't do it themselves? :blink:

I guess they want at least one person somewhere along the way to have paid... if not... I worry about their business model.

Xandros and Lindows at least have a high selling price and/or a subscription service to keep them afloat.

EDIT: Found this.

I hope they turn a profit still, especially since Redhat barely is and Mandrake is grovelling for donations. I love Linux too and am trying to decide still which to stick with.

Edited by Fotix

• 4 weeks later...

download them from here, but remember because it is illegal so i don't know when the FTP site will refuse you. You must buy their CDs or DVD from SuSe company, of cause if you can and will.

CD1:http://freesoft.online.sh.cn/mirrors/ISO/SuSE/8.1/Cd2/SuSE_Linux_V8.1_CD1.iso

c d2:http://freesoft.online.sh.cn/mirrors/ISO/SuSE/8.1/Cd2/SuSE_Linux_V8.1_CD2.iso

fin d all 7 cds by yourself.

enjoy.