Announcing Windows Home Server CTP!

Hi All,

Windows Home Server Build 06.00.1371 has officially been signed off by the team and we are now making this build available to all Beta Participants. The download packages are available from download from MS Connect now.

Confidentiality

What this means to you. Now that we have announced the general availability to the public, you can now freely discuss and share screen shots of Windows Home Server CTP like you had in Beta 2, but as with all betas and any MS Intellectual Property, you are not allowed to post or redistribute the software.

Here are the links:

Windows Home Server CTP Documentation (http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=6089)

Complete Windows Home Server CTP Download Package (http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=6090)

Thanks again for all that you do and the great bug submissions and suggestions. You really have helped make Windows Home Server CTP the best that it can be.

Thanks,

Kevin Beares

Windows Home Server Community Lead

If you do not wish to receive e-mail messages from this specific program, you need to "Decline Participation" on the Microsoft Connect My Participation page, since receiving program-specific e-mail is a mandatory part of your participation. If you do not wish to receive any e-mail messages from Microsoft Connect in the future, please send e-mail to mchelp@microsoft.com with the subject, "Remove Me From Microsoft Connect," and all your information will be completely removed from Microsoft Connect. If you need Microsoft Connect support for any other reason, visit the Microsoft Connect Contact Us page. This is an unmonitored e-mail address, so please do not reply to this message.

Just found this in my inbox. (Y)

Thurrot: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/whs_preview2.asp

Bink: http://bink.nu/Article9940.bink

About the leak of the previous builds: http://bink.nu/Article9939.bink

I installed the CTP tonight, much nicer UI! I especially like the ability to remove computers from WHS if I choose. Nice job on this product MS!

I thought about running a server at home but seriously I don't know why I would really need one. Costs too much in power bills and adds to pollution and global warming.

True, that's what it said. I guess some just like to boast. :/

Sounds like people got different e-mails than others actually

Mine doesn't say anything about not talking about it anywhere. Mine says the same as above:

Confidentiality

What this means to you. Now that we have announced the general availability to the public, you can now freely discuss and share screen shots of Windows Home Server CTP like you had in Beta 2, but as with all betas and any MS Intellectual Property, you are not allowed to post or redistribute the software.

It's a public release. So why couldn't you talk about it? I also don't see anyone boasting or bragging about it.

Maybe they had some issues with some of the e-mails that went out?

I was in the beta and any e-mail I got about it during the beta said not to share screenshots and all that, but this one doesn't.

i'm really just not bothering with this anymore as good as it is i just had such a pain in the ass time trying to make it work i'll leave it till it's final.

i'm really just not bothering with this anymore as good as it is i just had such a pain in the ass time trying to make it work i'll leave it till it's final.

I have to agree, even though i got the email etc its good but its just abit of a mess trying to get everything to work right out of the box. Currently sticking with Longhorn server for now :)

I assume this easily upgradable without destroying the backups and media folder contents from 1301?

The WHS April CTP is not an upgrade. It is a Full Install .iso from the paperwork that I have had a chance to look at.

Edited by M118LR

anyword on the domain name for Windows Home server that Ms will be offering to each Home Server User??

::EDIT::

Never mind found my answer.

Remote access

In Beta 2, there was no way to configure remote access, but that functionality has been added in the CTP. You can see it in the Windows Home Server Settings window via the WHS console, where a new Remote Access section now lives. WHS will attempt to configure your home router automatically, which should work on most UPnP 2.0-based routers. If your router is not compatible, however, you'll need to manually configure port forwarding using instructions in the Help file. The Remote Access section of this window also lets you set up a custom domain name for your home server. During the beta, Microsoft is using the livenode.com domain, but a different domain will be made available when the product is finalized. You can also use Remote Access to configure whether your internal Home Server site is available externally.

Edited by dl0711

• 3 weeks later...

Still running Beta 2 on my first server, but am going to install the CTP onto Server 2 tonight !

Will see how much better this is !

oh man over any other MS product that has come out this is the one I want to beta test, and sadly I've missed out on all the testing apps I've completed and never received an invite.

Having installed it on a spare PC (and being somewhat bemused by the 'Windows 2003 Small Business Server' screens that appear during installation), there's a couple of things that made me chuckle...

1. Once the installation is complete, the browser opens to a page that gives a stern warning about the fact that using any of the bundled admin tools will most likely break the OS. Hmmm, maybe not bundling the offending tools in the first place might have been a better bet? :yes:

2. It recommends that once installed, you logout and then disconnect your screen and keyboard and just administer the thing from a client console running on a workstation. There's confidence for you - Microsoft have suddenly made a version of one of their operating systems that they feel is reliable enough not to need a locally attached screen and keyboard for when something goes wrong... :blink:

Tart up Windows 2003 Server with a few wizards and a spot of lipgloss.... nah, they wouldn't.... would they? :p